Wheel/Tyres

Rob9

Squid
Hey Guys,

Not long picked up my new Giant Fathom 29er and would like to put some more aggressive rubber on it than what comes standard, specifically the front.

Just getting into riding so something cost effective for en entry level rider would be suitable. Was thinking I only need to change the front and then that got me thinking maybe I should just get a whole new wheel because then I can swap back and forth.

Any recommendations on tyres and/or wheel?

Cheers

Rob

Rob9

Squid
Google tells me 19mm which is 3rd hand information because the GIANT site doesn't have the info.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Google tells me 19mm which is 3rd hand information because the GIANT site doesn't have the info.
Maxxis Minion WT 2.5 and the like are designed for wider rims than that, supposedly. Might be better to stick with 2.3 There's lots around and they will be cheaper than WT model tyres.
I've got a 2.3 Minion DHRII front for grip and 2.3 Minion SS rear for fast rolling (and big side blocks so you can still corner) on Stans Flowex rims (25mm internal rim width) seems to work well.
**EDIT: My DHRII is EXO TR dual compound, Minion SS is 'silkworm' puncture resistant or some such, maybe EXO casing too, but not the DD (double down)
Go the EXO casings on Maxxis tyres. Dual ply will be way too heavy.
Pushys and MTB direct seem to be the better prices locally on Maxxis.

Last edited: