Wheel upgrade advice

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Hi , have a Nukeproof Mega 290 2020 , the top spec alloy model , looking at a wheel upgrade straight away as part of the plan

Im looking at these around my budget

Hope Fortus 30$686
Spank 350 Boost $636
Spank 350 Vibrocore Boost $619

Dont have any experience with any,the hopes seem to be the more tough and durable and take serious abuse well , but weight seems to be the negative,

The spanks are reduced in price more , particularly the vibrocore which are usually the more expensive wheelset of the 3 ,

any advice appreciated ,

Cheers

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
According to the Nukeproof website, your bike comes with a boost 30mm WTB wheelset, correct? If so, just wondering what you’re looking for with the upgrade - a more robust wheelset, lighter, wider rims, better hub engagement, etc.? Might help others having experience with your list of alternates provide more relevant feedback. Can’t help you myself, I like DT Swiss.

Check that price on the Vibrocore wheels too - looks like you’ve quoted CRC, but Wiggle lists the same wheelset for $584.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi , have a Nukeproof Mega 290 2020 , the top spec alloy model , looking at a wheel upgrade straight away as part of the plan

Hope Fortus 30$686
Spank 350 Boost $636

Dont have any experience with any,the hopes seem to be the more tough and durable and take serious abuse well , but weight seems to be the negative,

The spanks are reduced in price more , particularly the vibrocore which are usually the more expensive wheelset of the 3 ,

any advice appreciated ,

Cheers
I've the Hope Fortis 30 on my hardtail. They're solid enough, run with a lovely buzz from the Pro4 hubs.

Engagement isn't the quickest (Line Pro Bontragers have 108 POE and I can feel the difference) but they're easy to get tyres on and off, I don't think you're going to regret getting them if you select them but it really does depend on your goals.

I'd have thought most of the wheels selected would feel similar to what you have already aside from the virbrocore. At that price I'd be keen, just check on freehub prices and availability.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Just an overall better package ,almost all the above , better hub engagement, faster , better rolling , more robust , weight not so crucial but would be a bonus . Would keep the wtb s as spares .

the two spank wheel sets are marginally lighter , the vibrocore less so ,

the hopes are heavier ,

Flow-Rider

Burner
You probably can't go wrong with any of those wheelsets but I prefer hope hubs myself because of the availability of interchangeable axles parts.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
OH WAIT. I just checked now, because I had raised issued with bike-components and they were investigating, but now Aus Post say arriving today even though they told me they lost it....

Sorry to hijack thread, I wait with bated breath because I don't believe it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
OH WAIT. I just checked now, because I had raised issued with bike-components and they were investigating, but now Aus Post say arriving today even though they told me they lost it....

Sorry to hijack thread, I wait with bated breath because I don't believe it.
Disappointing, had the same thing happen with BC a while back, they said it was lost and would refund the cash when they got it back.

Ordered the same replacement stuff from HiBike... nek minnit the package is found at the 30 day since order mark and sent directly to me. I end up with double €600 orders arrived on the same day, but did get a €50 sweetner from BC for the mess up.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

Hope Fortus 30$686
Spank 350 Boost $636

any advice appreciated ,

Cheers
I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those wheelsets.
I had Spank on my last bike and they were awesome. Would buy again.

My current bike has WTB rims on Formula hubs.
I'm about to change the rear hub to DT Swiss for a bunch of other reasons (long story)

.... But I'm keeping the WTB KOM rims.
I reckon they're fine. Light, strong, 29mm internal width, offset spokes.
Don't be a hater, man. :p

beardi

Likes Dirt
I've got a set of hunt xc wide wheels that have 6 or so rides on them. At this stage I cant fault them. I like that they come with spare spokes, valves and pre tapped tubeless. The finish is excellent and they're within a few grams of the stated weights. The high engagement hub is unreal, so quick to pickup.
I bought on the strength of a pair of hunt 4 season that have been on my gravel bike for 4 years. That thing has done a lot of muddy Kay's with barely a true required. I've never touched them otherwise.
They ship really quickly and I don't think there is anything else out there that can offer the same features and low weight at that price.

T-Rex

Template denier

Hope Fortus 30$686
Spank 350 Boost $636

any advice appreciated ,

Cheers
Here's some advice on the Spank: