Wheel upgrade advice

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
No idea. Wheel was here when I go home this arvo, I need to fix it in the next couple of days. Best guess it took a hit out on the trail and limped home, hence the three twisted spokes (one out of shot).
Looks like someone landed a jump or hit something very sideways.

Also looks like the hit was hard enough that if the rim didn't let go the spoke would have.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
My guess that was done just before Xmas at Stromlo when Rexxy dropped me like a :) at foam party in Ibiza circa 97.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's hard to say without having the rim in my hand but I guess over tightened spokes at some point. I have spanks that I personally built and they've had very hard hits, enough to flat-spot and put a decent dent in the rim bed without ripping spokes out. I also use nipple washers on all rims without eyelets and don't go full max tension on the initial build.

T-Rex

Template denier
I had a closer look at it, I think @Oddjob guess is most likely, it's been landed sideways, as three spoke nipples in sequence on the same side of the hub pulled through the rim. Nothing to do with spoke tension or nipples coming loose.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had a closer look at it, I think @Oddjob guess is most likely, it's been landed sideways, as three spoke nipples in sequence on the same side of the hub pulled through the rim. Nothing to do with spoke tension or nipples coming loose.
Which side spokes is it, the disk side or the other ?

moorey

call me Mia
I also use nipple washers
Mmmmmm...nipple washers.

There’s something to be said for Giant wheels.
At least the nipples snap off, or the spoke pulls out at the drop of a hat, saving the rim.
I was replacing 3-4 a week on Felix’s mates bike. Rim stayed pretty straight. That’s a good thing, right?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Mmmmmm...nipple washers.

There’s something to be said for Giant wheels.
At least the nipples snap off, or the spoke pulls out at the drop of a hat, saving the rim.
I was replacing 3-4 a week on Felix’s mates bike. Rim stayed pretty straight. That’s a good thing, right?
A mate reversed over his 2016 trance front wheel with a small hatchback corolla and it was enough to bend the disk but surprisingly the wheel was ok.

It should take a lot to pull a spoke through a good rim under normal conditions, I have a set of spank spike race rims on hopes and hit a small stump at 25kms, it resulted in a flat spot that I almost hammered out and a dent in the rim bed on one side but still never managed to pop any spoke through the rim. The variables are huge that can cause them to pull through but not something I've seen that's common spank rims.

Last edited:

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got Spank Vibrocore rims on Onyx racing hubs. They are nice and solid but I'm not sure the Vibrocore thing changes much though. I wouldn't buy the rims based on it. Loving the Onyx hubs though. I've got 3 sets of them and waiting on a set of Onyx vesper hubs for my trail bike.

Cost a shit load though.

Last edited:

Oddjob

I've got Spank Vibrocore rims on Onyx racing hubs. They are nice and solid but I'm not sure the Vibrocore thing changes much though. I wouldn't but the rims based on it. Loving the Onyx hubs though. I've got 3 sets of them and waiting on a set of Onyx vesper hubs for my trail bike.

Cost a shit load though.
Do you have a Specialized Enduro?

Oddjob

Met a nice chap with Spec Enduro and Onyx hubs at one of the Garrigal fiver rides.