Wheels and brakes

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
Morning all, I’m wanting to upgrade my old juicy 3 brakes on my Norco. I’m wanting to get a set of elixirs, as I don’t have a huge budget and can set them up pretty good. would the elixirs be on par with the sram levels in terms of stopping power. I use semi metallic pads in my bikes as I like the feel of them.

Also any suggestions on wheels, I have sun single track rims at the moment with minions on them, but wanting another set that I can put some hookworms or something similar on. It’s getting hard to find old 26” stuff especially with hubs to suit my bike as everything is quick release.

current hub size is front 20mm to suit the BoXXer forks and 150x12 rear.

any info or suggestions would be great.
mike

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Elixirs do not have a great reliability reputation and have not been produced for some time i.e. they will all be flogged out.

SRAM Level are their XC brake model I believe, which wouldn't be ideal on a DH bike.

What's your budget? Maybe pick up something more reliable and DH suitable 2nd hand on this forum.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
What is wrong with the Juicys? You want more adjustment or aren't they stopping as well?

I have a set of Elixirs here that I've taken off a bike but never used but really don't know if they will be that different to the Juicy 3's. They have matchmakers to a Reverb dropper though.

Maybe go back to first steps and give the Juicys a clean around the calipers, a bleed and new pads?

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
Reason for the elixirs are I have them on other bikes so makes keeping spares easier ( pads) etc. the Juicys work ok, but like the feel of the elixirs better. The Caliper/ pistons have been cleaned etc have had new pads and rotors and a bleed but don’t feel as good as the elixirs.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I still have these

I managed to get the pin out of the rear so you can now hold the pads in place with a split pin.

I agree that these are better than Juicy 3s.

I also have some Elixer 1s if interested? But the are shit.

Also agree that you need better brakes on a dh bike but having shit breaks must mean you are developing some mad cornering skills :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've done the same as I only run early Avids or Formula brakes and then stock up on brake pads. If you get the cheap Elixirs get the later model 5's with the triangle shape plastic pivots and or the models above, anything else under the 5's seem to be trouble from my experience. I like running Shimano two piece rotors and semimetallic pads as it keeps the noise down.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wheels to suit:

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/cole-massif-dh-mountain-bike-downhill-wheelset-26/OT-WH-COLE-03

im running a set on one of my bikes. They have done a few laps of the skatepark, dirt jumps, and local freeride trails without concern. But I haven't given them full hammer yet. For the price I've been well pleased.

I've had a lot of elixirs. They will shit all over your juicy 3. They have good modulation and enough power. But they require frequent bleeding with a corrosive fluid that sucks. They can also experience corrosion with some internal parts and fail as a break. I'd avoid them if you can. I now run Shimano on all my bikes except the dh which runs hope. Shimano brakes are not that expensive and of a good quality. Even the deore model would be superior to the elixirs in my opinion.

you would also need to consider your riding style, skills, and weight in figuring out what is best.

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
Those wheels look alright, not bad price either. Might be easier getting them then finding a set of old mtx33’s

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Can't send photos over private message so will dump these here. All brakes taken off various bikes in various condition so will need a fresh bleed at minimum. Let me know if any of these are any good to you and I can provide more details.

Elixir CR - Front and Rear pair, currently no pads but may be able to find some if I look really hard.

CODE - Front and Rear pair, from memory one has a seized lever bore, never pulled it apart to see if it was repairable.

Elixir 3 - Front only, good condition.

XO Trail - Front and Rear pair, pretty bad road rash on the rear caliper, should be able to find a clamp to suit.

Close up of the damaged XO caliper - could definitely be cleaned up a bit given some time, a small file and some gloss black hi-temp paint.

Same caliper, different angle.

Guide R and RE - Mismatched pair, good condition.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Had to quickly rip them off the LeToy4 the night before a 4X race due to the seized lever, really hoped that it would be an easy fix but never got around to stripping them down, they just sat in the parts bin gather dust.
Aaaaaaaahhhhh avid...could just need a could, could be totally fucked.