Wheels and brakes

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Morning all, I’m wanting to upgrade my old juicy 3 brakes on my Norco. I’m wanting to get a set of elixirs, as I don’t have a huge budget and can set them up pretty good. would the elixirs be on par with the sram levels in terms of stopping power. I use semi metallic pads in my bikes as I like the feel of them.
Fuck, talk about trying to pick the best out of a bad three! Juicys are second only to Hayes Nines in terms of "light switch" on/off braking - modlation? What's that??.... Levels are utterly dead in feel, like you're using blocks of wood for pads... ones I rode had resin pads which in theory give the best bite but lose out in overall power, but these felt like metal pads in the depths of an Antarctic winter (metal pads aren't good when cold). Metal pads might give them a bit more feel, maybe not; maybe you need to preheat them with a blow torch before riding to bring them to function. But they did at least have good lever pressure, which gives them some bragging rights over Elixir..... Never thought I'd say this, and it is a struggle to do so, but for all the shitness, unpredictable pressure, turkey-on-heat noise and pain-in-the-arseness to bleed, the Elixirs are - I can't quite bring myself to say "best" - the least bad of the candidates. But what you really need to do is throw all the Avid/SRAM stuff in the bin & fit... well... anything else (but Shimano are a pretty safe bet).

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Fuck, talk about trying to pick the best out of a bad three! Juicys are second only to Hayes Nines in terms of "light switch" on/off braking - modlation? What's that??.... Levels are utterly dead in feel, like you're using blocks of wood for pads... ones I rode had resin pads which in theory give the best bite but lose out in overall power, but these felt like metal pads in the depths of an Antarctic winter (metal pads aren't good when cold). Metal pads might give them a bit more feel, maybe not; maybe you need to preheat them with a blow torch before riding to bring them to function. But they did at least have good lever pressure, which gives them some bragging rights over Elixir..... Never thought I'd say this, and it is a struggle to do so, but for all the shitness, unpredictable pressure, turkey-on-heat noise and pain-in-the-arseness to bleed, the Elixirs are - I can't quite bring myself to say "best" - the least bad of the candidates. But what you really need to do is throw all the Avid/SRAM stuff in the bin & fit... well... anything else (but Shimano are a pretty safe bet).
We need a button showing super strong approval. Maybe a set of lips in the fellatio position.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
I have never had an issue bleeding elixirs.

moorey

call me Mia
Bought a mint, compete Glory for a local kid a few weeks ago. Mt33’s, boxxer teams. X9, elixirCR, fox RC4....everything working a treat.

DjMikey

Likes Bikes
Brakes are now sorted, just chasing some wheels/rims. I’m really leaning towards the sun mtx33 or mtx39’s. would anyone have a set in 26” lying around?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yesterday I really fave it to those massif wheels I linked you too. They're as good as the day I got them. But i totally understand the mtx love

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Brakes are now sorted, just chasing some wheels/rims. I’m really leaning towards the sun mtx33 or mtx39’s. would anyone have a set in 26” lying around?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Can't send photos over private message so will dump these here. All brakes taken off various bikes in various condition so will need a fresh bleed at minimum. Let me know if any of these are any good to you and I can provide more details.

Guide R and RE - Mismatched pair, good condition.
View attachment 361857
Are those Guide R/RE worth considering for my bike build?

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...mbop-for-around-2k.316793/page-3#post-3316467