wheelset me

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Hey groovers,

I need to get myself sorted with a new (or possibly secondhand) alloy 29er wheelset in the coming weeks. My default at this stage is to get Hunt to build me up what I need, but if I could do it for around the same price, some Spank rims and decent hubs that I can convert (at least the rear) would be the dream. After the same durability of Flow EX rims (which is to say can support my hefty frame for years and not even ding). 30mm+ internal, but I dunno how wide I can actually go with this frame, but guessing 30mm gives me enough clearance to still run a 2.4.

The rear hub needs to be 142 mm, and ideally be compatible to run boost with the appropriate spacers later down the track. XD driver too so I can pop on my X0 cassette.
Front is boost straight up.

Could I also get a non-boost wheelset on special and convert the front hub?

Whats out there?

Flow-Rider

Burner
You tend to build custom wheels because you'll have the combination of parts you want not really on price, unless you can get the parts heavily discounted it's usually far cheaper buying a wheelset complete. I would look at using spank rims and hope hubs any day of the week but you're probably not going to get much under $800 building the wheels yourself. I done a quick price check below.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Possibly out of budget range (another 50% over Hunt), but Wheelworks are great to deal with.

Their Alloy wheels come in at $1080 delivered and you can custom spec.

I have their carbon wheels and they've been faultless over the three years I've run them.

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
suitable for heavy riders? and you giving them much abuse?

It might be a bit easier on the pocket if you can pickup some of the parts on sale, I picked up a pair of hope hubs last time on sale for $340.
yeah, isn’t it Black Friday next week?

Possibly out of budget range (another 50% over Hunt), but Wheelworks are great to deal with.

Their Alloy wheels come in at $1080 delivered and you can custom spec.

I have their carbon wheels and they've been faultless over the three years I've run them.
yeah they look nice but might stretch my budget too far, I reckon $800 is my max

Flow-Rider

Burner

yeah, isn’t it Black Friday next week?

yeah they look nice but might stretch my budget too far, I reckon $800 is my max
I just had a look at my emails, the last set I bought were this time last year for even less, $75 for the front from CRC and $200 for the rear at wiggles.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I weigh about 76kg but have them on a 120mm duallie. They seem to handle everything I throw at them. 1m drops, rock gardens etc. What's your idea of abuse though. My mates's 2019 Rocky Instinct came factory with them too.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Just to be contrary, what about the Chinese carbon rims on Novatecs on AliExpress/eBay? They’re pretty strong by all accounts...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've got a set of TWE rims laced to Hope Pro2 Evos. They would be equivalent to 2nd gen Flow EXs. Pm me if interested.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I weigh about 76kg but have them on a 120mm duallie. They seem to handle everything I throw at them. 1m drops, rock gardens etc. What's your idea of abuse though. My mates's 2019 Rocky Instinct came factory with them too.
abuse = add 25-30kgs and a penchant for slamming through rocky sections / drops