wheelset me

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've currently got Novatec hubs on 3 wheels. They are actually ok for the price, but hard to find spare parts for (e.g. axle conversions). Model specific I guess too - SJS has some stuff, but not everything. Anyway, think I want to go the Hope or DT route for once.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I've currently got Novatec hubs on 3 wheels. They are actually ok for the price, but hard to find spare parts for (e.g. axle conversions). Model specific I guess too - SJS has some stuff, but not everything. Anyway, think I want to go the Hope or DT route for once.
Both my Trance and Defy run DT hubs and they are pretty damn good...

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Hey groovers,

I need to get myself sorted with a new (or possibly secondhand) alloy 29er wheelset in the coming weeks. My default at this stage is to get Hunt to build me up what I need, but if I could do it for around the same price, some Spank rims and decent hubs that I can convert (at least the rear) would be the dream. After the same durability of Flow EX rims (which is to say can support my hefty frame for years and not even ding). 30mm+ internal, but I dunno how wide I can actually go with this frame, but guessing 30mm gives me enough clearance to still run a 2.4.

The rear hub needs to be 142 mm, and ideally be compatible to run boost with the appropriate spacers later down the track. XD driver too so I can pop on my X0 cassette.
Front is boost straight up.

Could I also get a non-boost wheelset on special and convert the front hub?

Whats out there?
I'm running Hunt at the moment so will weigh in. While I really like the idea of going custom, I have to say that Hunt are excellent wheels, a great price and their customer service and support is first rate.

One thing to consider is that you seem to be in a similar situation to me re rim width. I only really wanted to go 30mm which limits you to their Trail Wide rims. You have to go up to 33mm internal for the Enduro rims with a bit more meat and strength.

I would personally advise on going Enduro if you can live with the 33mm internal width. I managed to get a small flat spot in my Trail rim from riding something I felt was within the bounds of their description for the intention of the rims. The good news was that they had no problem in changing me over to the Enduro rear wheel.

For reference, I'm only running a 2.3 Minion SS on the Endure rim and its fine.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Cheers @yuley95 - seems that the recent publicity has meant there is now a short wait, hope it doesn't blow out to too much (want to purchase next week if possible).

Also, now see that they run Novatec hubs, which isn't a huge deal breaker, but do want to try something else...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Also came across these for ~$700

Perhaps these + a Wolftooth adapter to run the front in the boost fork?

Litenbror

Eats Squid

I have a set and they have been flawless over a couple of bikes. Probably don't go as hard as you but they are pretty solid wheels.

Jpez

Down on the left!

I’ve got a set of these as well but in 27.5. I’m a 90kg plough machine, zero finesse, run stupid low pressures and I can’t break em. Couple small dings here and there but still going strong.
Only thing I dislike is the slow engagement on the hub. Easy fix though.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I have a set and they have been flawless over a couple of bikes. Probably don't go as hard as you but they are pretty solid wheels.
hard? nah I'm just heavy and break things :)

I’ve got a set of these as well but in 27.5. I’m a 90kg plough machine, zero finesse, run stupid low pressures and I can’t break em. Couple small dings here and there but still going strong.
Thats what I like to hear! Did your sets come with the 350 hubs?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Keeping an eye on gumtree etc? Often you’ll see new/newish OE brand wheels come up for sale.

Giants high end wheels are DT Swiss wheels, and Trek and Spesh factory wheels are often very decent too.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Also, now see that they run Novatec hubs, which isn't a huge deal breaker, but do want to try something else...
Fair enough. I reckon Novatec make low level stuff and some high level stuff as well.
A bit early to tell but I reckon the Hunt hubs are pretty solid and I wouldn’t be concerned that they come out of the Novatec factory.

madstace

Likes Dirt
@madstace do you want to weigh in here?
You talking about hubs, rims or both?

OP, I was running a Light Bicycle wheelset with higher end Novatec (D881/882SB) hubs. Wheelset as a whole was great until I failed to clear the same root twice about a year apart. Rear rim made the same sound both times, held the first time, not the second :(

All in all I'd buy again, hubs were fine for their life (front still going strong), rear was a bit low on POE but I've seen they have some newer hubs with higher engagement, reckon they'd be fine.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
new Spank Hex drive hubs are coming soon ... along with mix and match wheelsets. I think it’s the next shipment due to land in Dec. but not 100% sure.
@9.53 in ... is a cut away to highlight the action

I’m looking forward to trying them out. That said I’ve never had issue with pawl engagement in any hub brand I’ve tried. Maybe I just don’t pedal enough?

I’d recommend staying away from. The Spank Race 33 for Trail/enduro purposes.
Look at the Spank 359 for the rear if you are smashing rims.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
new Spank Hex drive hubs are coming soon ... along with mix and match wheelsets. I think it’s the next shipment due to land in Dec. but not 100% sure.

I’m looking forward to trying them out. That said I’ve never had issue with pawl engagement in any hub brand I’ve tried. Maybe I just don’t pedal enough?

You are just not fat enough to break hubs get some cake into ya! :p

At 105kgs I have destroyed a few rear hubs in my time. I will look at these wheels when they come out.

A bit off topic but the 5 ten shown in that video look a bit flimsy. I am also hard on shoes and fear all that adidas tech will be shit for a mtb shoes.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I'm happy with my race 33's and they've taken a beating, actually surprised how well they've stood up and with no rim protection. I've had impacts where I've completely blown the tyre off the rim and it only put a small dent in them.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
High end novatec are great hubs. Punch well above their weight.
I probably got myself into a bit of a hole over Novatec - to be fair, I've only had one epic failure and then I've since found it hard to get the parts to convert older hubs to different axles.

@Nerf Herder - why steer away from Spike Race 33s? Too DH orientated for a trail build? Or too flimsy overall? Those Hex hubs look nice, but imagine the price tag on release will be too high for me...