when 59cm isnt 59cm

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Hey guys does this sound fair to you? So was looking at getting a 661 recon helmet and there are some awesome deals with some local online retailers-dont have time to go wandering around bike shops and the LBS's near me don't stock the recon. Now i know my head size is 59...i had it professionally measured to get an Akubra a while back. I also measured again just to be sure. I ordered the L/XL as it says 59-63. Anyway it arrived today and is way too big even when fully adjusted up?!!? Measured my head again and no it hasn't shrunk. So whats going on? Pissed off! Now i have to pay to return it and then either pay a restocking fee to get a refund or pay to have another one delivered that might be too small as If i get a S/M its XX-58. Apparently its my fault because i ordered 'the wrong size' but 59 is my head size and 59 is what it says on the box/website/helmet. Is it worth arguing? Happy to pay the return delivery fee but i don't want to get penalized for a mistake i didn't make.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Perhaps the circumference for an Akubra is different than for helmets?
Helmet head bands tend to sit lower at the back than hats do.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which if true would mean that his measurement would also say that this the correct size again. Did it come with extra pads to swap in and out of the helmet for the perfect fitting. Guess not having the time to walk into a shop and try on a few has resulted in you having to waste a lot more time now.

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
Often as not its not so much the circumference of you head as compared to the shape of your head vs the shape of the helmet. I also own several akubras a and they sit in a totally different spot to the recons, and the leather of the akubra will flex and stretch a bit to fit your head better, unlike the helmet which is a solid unit. Also the recons sit very low on the rear of your head, this could have something to do with it too,
I would say try a different brand of helmet all together, I know fox make some similar helmets and so does bontrager, you will find from brand to brand the shape will be slightly different. I'd say head into ur LBS and try on a bunch of different helmets and see what brands fit your head best.

MARKL

Eats Squid
As Ride_29 said helmet fit is just as much the shape of your head as the size...as an example my XL TLD is perfect, my Spesh full face XL falls off me and a THE XL feels like someone is trying to stick a spear in my forehead...all roughly the same size just different shapes. My view is you should try helmets on before you buy - never use your LBS as a fitting service so you can buy online!

ChopSticks

Banned
was sorta in the same boat 2 months back...

looked at a TLD A1 helmet and being 59cm + alot of hair, I could go either M/L (57-59cm) or the XL/XXL (60-62cm)
ended up with the M/L and thank god I did !!!!

not going to buy blind ever again !!!

def try before you buy if you can ! (walk into aan LBS and try it on)