When did it start for you?

Ryan

Radministrator
What was the ride, race, moment or whatever that you first realised mountain biking was the sport for you? A defining moment when you came to the realisation the rest of your life would be spent on the acquisition and expenditure of funds on bikes that make those who just don't get it say "What!? You could buy a car for that!"
For me it was a run down a sweet singletrack descent on the outskirts of Cairns with a couple of friends on my first real bike, a rigid Avanti, going faster than I had ever imagined was possible on the dirt and scaring the crap out of myself in the process. I got off the bike at the end of the run, shaking from exertion and adrenaline and let out an almighty whoop, thinking to myself "What the fark was that! That was farkin incredible" I was hooked from that day on and still get that same feeling from time to time after an extra quick run, big jump or epic ride. Share your tales...

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was invited to go riding in Gatineau Park in Quebec about 10 years ago, as I had just bought a used bike to ride to work. It happened to be a MTB, so I thought sure, why not. I showed up and my buddies said "you might want a helmet", so we went to the LBS and got one. They also recommended a water bottle and a couple of powerbars. Good thing, coz it was a 6 hour ride and almost 100km. The dirty bastards just about killed me and I was hallucinating. It was a hot day and I was laying on the side of the trail shivering, with another 20kms to get home. We stopped at subway and they fed me while I had my head on the table. When I got home, I fell down the stairs and layed on the kitchen floor and started crying (hey, I'm man enough to admit it!). She fed me, then helped me into the shower and got me a beer. 4 beers later, the dudes came over for a bit of a party and I got trashed and swore allegiance to the MTB gods forever. A few months later I had a deposit on an M2 Stumpjumper.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was after my third xc race. It was a underwood park where I had just come 6th in my race and I was on such a high and relized that I still had some reserve in my tank. From that time on I have been pushing my limits rather staying comfortably within them.