When did this thread turn into a scooter discussion?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Yeah, if you want the latest carbon stuff it's going to sting financially. Like others have said there's always used bargains. I got this old ATX 990 from a guy at the pub near me. He wanted a jet ski so I got him down to 350 bucks. The stickers are gone and it the finish looks like it's just rattle canned grey primer, but it's had a couple of updates (my dropper, front mudguard and pedals). The wheels aren't both the same, or the tyres, and I'll get a proper rear mudguard but it's doing the job right now.

View attachment 359019
You got ripped off.

safreek

Yeah, if you want the latest carbon stuff it's going to sting financially. Like others have said there's always used bargains. I got this old ATX 990 from a guy at the pub near me. He wanted a jet ski so I got him down to 350 bucks. The stickers are gone and it the finish looks like it's just rattle canned grey primer, but it's had a couple of updates (my dropper, front mudguard and pedals). The wheels aren't both the same, or the tyres, and I'll get a proper rear mudguard but it's doing the job right now.

View attachment 359019
Sweet ride dude. You did well

gillyske

Likes Dirt

View attachment 359019
Is that the story you tell your partner?

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt

View attachment 359019
That atx 990 looks a lot like it has been handmade in Germany.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I'm weird but I can't justify how people can spend 8k+ on 2 wheels and a frame. They dress the shocks/forks up with flashy functions and names like motion control ect when they are just basic units..
I've ridden a 3k bike then swapped to a 7k bike on the same trail and noticed no difference in the ride. Nothing anyway that justifies the price difference.

placebo

Likes Dirt
What you're experiencing is just a function of money, suspension and modern technology diluting the riding experience. Before I got back into riding I did the whole single speed rigid jones spaceframe h-bar thing. Natural long lasting metal. I only wore natural fibers, merino, cotton, or silk, natural chamois, had my leather shoes made old stye and hammered my cleats in with brass nails after my pedals marked the bottom of my shoes after riding cleatless. Sure I didn't have much money then, but I felt more connected with the trails, nature and the pure riding experience through my choices. But eventually fashion driven trends got the better of me, and I regressed back into the easy comforts offered by suspension and endless, meaningless consumer choice.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I'm weird but I can't justify how people can spend 8k+ on 2 wheels and a frame. They dress the shocks/forks up with flashy functions and names like motion control ect when they are just basic units..
I've ridden a 3k bike then swapped to a 7k bike on the same trail and noticed no difference in the ride. Nothing anyway that justifies the price difference.
I didn’t go to dental school to ride a 3k pleb bike
-every yeti rider ever (probably)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not all yeti riders are dentists! You anti-dentite fascists are everywhere! Some yeti riders are accountants, doctors, and lawyers...shit I've even seen a chiropractor on one! Oh Waits they're a doctor these days aren't they?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Some yeti riders are accountants, doctors, and lawyers...shit I've even seen a chiropractor on one!
Lawyers are all out on the local beach circuit in their BMC aero bikes, but if they did ride MTB it would be Specialized given the amount Spesh has contributed to their profession and vice versa. Accountants would be a riding endurance geometry giants (they are value conscious after all) and this would extend to all the trances out there. Doctors are on treks.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I didn’t go to dental school to ride a 3k pleb bike.
I didn't go to medical school to ride an off the shelf Giant = that's where I draw the line.

Otherwise none of my bikes cost 3ks, worth more though.
I have too much fun building something unique and around here the best fun I have is building difficult new unauthorised tracks and riding them , as long as the bike is capable , cost is irrelevant.
Now just got to heal up after falling off that bridge.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
you ride the way you ride, whether its on a 3k bike or 12k bike. my times on my trail bike and enduro bike are near identical, they feel ragged and loose on the little bike, but the big bike just makes things a bit nicer.. they are both off the shelf giants too but i didnt go to medical school so its okay.