When the distributor.. Says.. No, son!

cabbo

Likes Dirt
I don't know how many times this may have come up in discussion before?
I have been without a bike for 8-9 months, sold one before an op, so in my many months off in recovery I've been looking for a bike! Not just any bike, a bike that l spent in lock down in for months, anyways, got good to drive to the local bike shop, good decent hard working team of blokes asked them about this bike and, just got an apology that even the guys said, nah mate this ones not coming to our shores... Wtf! Bamboozeled and shoulder shrugs court us all.
So my question is.. If there is still a market for a bike to be sold, even if its in a smaller minority, the unpopular smelly one, it can still have a home, it may get treats like upgrades, stuff that keeps local businesses going. Surely you would think that on occasions if a fugly unpopular smelly bike is going to find a home, it can be friggen sent.
Can someone please explain this stuff? As much as its most probably all about $. This don't makes cents to me, It's like this thing is illegal or something, contraband, it's a bike!!
Thanks.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I'll wager there is also some distribution deal meaning that importing it from a market that does have it is not allowed.

Can you ring the importer direct?

indica

Serial flasher
Twice I have purchased GT Sanction when they were not coming in. Still doesn't show in the catalogue yet Monza bought in 6 of the 2015.
GT Australia organised a 2012 for me, that was the only one to come in.
Push it with the importer and the parent company.

stirk

Burner
8-9 months off due to an op, in lock down, covert op perhaps??...

What does "Not just any bike, a bike that l spent in lock down in for months"

Does lock down mean love with?

You can buy shit online and ship and even freight forward if distributors are really serious about keeping this smelly bike out of the country.

It's probably so smelly and fugly no one wants to touch it?

Details please.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The best example of all time: Giant STP

The one place in the world where STP's were the most popular bike, and they stopped importing them. Solid move Giant Aus. Swear there would be more kids riding MTB if Giant didn't stop them.

Ring the distro yourself, say your prepared to pay full retail if you really want this bike that much, and are happy to wait 3-4 months.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Buying and selling a bike cost you cash in the long run, so unless you're stuck for cash or fancy a change, then its a fruitless exercise.
Selling a bike and buying a bike is rarely a profitable scenario. If you sell as your months off begins you may get a slightly better price than at the end of the many months. You can out the cash to use now and dig up the bike cash when the time comes...you know put it on your mortgage or buy a pool cue or some heeleys.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Buying and selling a bike cost you cash in the long run, so unless you're stuck for cash or fancy a change, then its a fruitless exercise.
Agreed. Even if I knew I wasn't going to ride a bike I liked for over a year I still wouldn't sell it off unless I really needed the cash cause it'll cost more in the long term.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
But, having a nice shiny new bike waiting for you when you recover from surgery is a great motivator.

I don't see it as making sense financially, but from a recovery and reward perspective, it's a positive.

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
If you're going to sell your bike anyway, it's a perfect opportunity to do it when your injured.
Marty, just buy a Reign. You know you want one.

cabbo

Likes Dirt
If you're going to sell your bike anyway, it's a perfect opportunity to do it when your injured.
Marty, just buy a Reign. You know you want one.
Ha ha ha! Funny Mal, when l went back to the bike shop the mechanic was not far off building one, the owner of the shop is still waiting for his and the overall talk at the shop was about the reign, was it bloody reigning? Or was this one of those state the obvious moments? Well as you are aware my trusty 2007 trusty reign was nicked many months back now, but! I'm still keen to persist with that ugly lack of popularity bike that the rep feels it just doesn't have a market for in good old oz, yeah right!
Too answer someone's question about the selling of my rig before the op.. Great bike mind you but the parts got old and tied, the frame was great 2012 frame the parts were off the older frame, just seemed a good time too sell.. Had a shoulder op, even now I'm not up too full strength, so l was in "lock down", with the limited range of the freedom we take so for granted for, allowing ligaments and stuff to knit and bond,
I got a couple of buddies looking into this aswell, so thanks for all your time people.

John U

MTB Precision
I don't know how many times this may have come up in discussion before?
I have been without a bike for 8-9 months, sold one before an op, so in my many months off in recovery I've been looking for a bike! Not just any bike, a bike that l spent in lock down in for months, anyways, got good to drive to the local bike shop, good decent hard working team of blokes asked them about this bike and, just got an apology that even the guys said, nah mate this ones not coming to our shores... Wtf! Bamboozeled and shoulder shrugs court us all.
So my question is.. If there is still a market for a bike to be sold, even if its in a smaller minority, the unpopular smelly one, it can still have a home, it may get treats like upgrades, stuff that keeps local businesses going. Surely you would think that on occasions if a fugly unpopular smelly bike is going to find a home, it can be friggen sent.
Can someone please explain this stuff? As much as its most probably all about $. This don't makes cents to me, It's like this thing is illegal or something, contraband, it's a bike!!
Thanks.
If you know what your want, have the cash, are willing to front up with it, and are prepared to wait for the frame/bike to be delivered to the country, I don't see why the distributor would not import it for you. You've pretty much done the work for them. If they won't come to the party take your cash elsewhere. Others will be falling over themselves to help you.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
If you actually names the frame you're after... other forum users may have interest and you may be able to lever the distro with an order of 4-5 bikes?

OR you could keep going on with strange riddles and smelly bikes

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you actually names the frame you're after... other forum users may have interest and you may be able to lever the distro with an order of 4-5 bikes?

OR you could keep going on with strange riddles and smelly bikes
There are a fair few distro's on here too...