Where are our pros ?

stevenw

Pro Rider
Should Australian race organisers wave the entry fee for guys who race overseas? Would that attract our elite guys to race more races in our country?
If I was to stand next to a dude who races world cups after he has done a run or two on some Australian tracks and he says that the trails are shit I would be pretty disappointed and instantly assume that this guy is a fucking tool. Why would I want to advertise my products on a guy who is a tool? He may be fast but he doesn't portray an image of appreciation if he carries on and whinges about not being provided with a world class trail. My money would be better spent elsewhere..........
I think if your not Sam Hill and Jared Graves, who are making good money, to come home and race the National Series is an expense not many of them can afford. Its not cheap to race the Nationals especially if you live in Qld. I know alot of riders have to come home and work full time, so they have enough money to support themselves at home and overseas.

Hey you have a good track down there at Coffs, why don't you guys run a Nationals?

I know that when we have a race or fun day at Illinbah, we always get Nathan, Jared and Chris to come and ride/race. They love the track and its not going to cost them heaps to ride. Plus we always let them ride/race for free because its great having them here and all the riders love to see them riding.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
To be honest, I see no benefit in running a National event. Sure, you get some good athletes riding your venue but you don't get much else (My opinion is based on what I've picked up from other organisers and clubs). I believe the things you need to have in place to host a national event are way too over the top and require too many funds to host it. That in turn bumps the entry fee up and wham!................ No one shows up.

For the record, I've been to a shitload of club rounds that have had more elite riders that have raced world cups etc than a national round. The elite guys do show up but only when it suits. Its the same as what the average punter would do..............;)

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I know its a big season for the pro's but I go to the football to see the stars,
How many over seas based socceroos do you see at the local football games playing for free at their own expense?

I go to the v8 super cars to see the stars,
How often do you see overseas based drivers there driving for free at their own expense?

I go to AFL to see the stars.
How many of those AFL stars make their living based in international competition then come back and play here for free at their own expense?

These MTB stars are no different to the other sports that Ive mentioned.
Correct

If they go to races people WILL come to see them.The local club who runs the event will benefit the young riders will benefit and we have great coverage in the magazines or even maybe tv.Lets not forget that Australia[I think]has the greatest number of fast guys on the pro circuit.WE THE BEST
No arguments there.

Guys like Bryn and Rennie and Hannah have always been every supportive of the local scene and most of the OS based guys support their local clubs by turning up to the occasional clubbie where they can.
Bryn and Jill certainly support the scene out our way when they are home

You often see Kovarik and Graves' names in the results for local Qld races and even see their pics in build days for Illingbah and the like

All the guys we got to newtons were more than happy to come out and rub elbows with the plebs.

But lets face it they are not paid to ride here and why would they risk injury in their off season in a races that carries no international points, sponsor recognition and little prize money? It's a big ask but something they do do

As I said most of the guys do turn up to local races where they can and do the national champs and the national rounds that suit their training and points goals and we appreciated it when they do.

It's great to see them mix it with locals and pretty much all of them are great in the way they mingle in with the punters in the pits and transport line.

Last edited:

THE Manik Man

Likes Dirt
I hope all the people who are complaining are tradies because I need a new kitchen, bathroom and can't afford it.
Think about it, do you turn up to work for free on your holiday (if you do, you are the sadest person I know) or do you go do what you want??

Ruys

Likes Dirt
I hope all the people who are complaining are tradies because I need a new kitchen, bathroom and can't afford it.
Think about it, do you turn up to work for free on your holiday (if you do, you are the sadest person I know) or do you go do what you want??
If I received head jobs for a living I probably wouldn't be opposed to the odd gobby on the weekend.

What's my point? Riding bikes is fun, renovating your kitchen is not. :)

cressa

Likes Dirt
Maybe the question should be: Why don't international teams give financial support to their Aus riders to race and support the domestic scene?

Jared

Yeti Cycles
The thread was pointed in my direction as something I maybe should contribute towards, and im glad I can. I get hit with this question quite often, and I hope I can shed some light.

Ive read through the whole thread and I can say that Driftking, Bogoda, the Cat, and certainly SteveW are on the money.

Firstly, we race/live/breathe MTB atleast 10 months af the year....why only 10 months of the year...not 12? Well come January training is in full swing again for the world Cups, all our preparation is based around being at our peak for the races that our sponsors want us to do well at. Our race season ends in September, but there is always other sponsors obligations/interviews/new product testing and analysis that happens as soon as the season is over in September. It doesnt happen 12 months of the year because everyone needs a break! I know for myself, November and December are the only months of the year I can get into my normal life/routine and just enjoy ridiing for the reasons I stared doing it in the first place. thats 2 months of the year I can enjoy my ridiing for what it is.

Why dont we race as part of our race preparation....well 99% of pros know what they need to do to be at their best for an international race. Which is based around physical training, and preparation, not domestic racing. And for a World cup season, which involves more physical prep than ego boosting against other racers. You have to pick and choose your battles. EG...I wanted to win the Adelaide round of the DH national series in 2008. So I trained for it, Sam Hill turned up to race also, but didnt prepare for the race at all, because he was resting and preparing for other races.....he didnt care, and had bigger fish to fry. I beat him at that race, but did I beat him in any other big races that year.....negative!

The financial side.....Our sponsors pay us to race world cups primarily, and select other races. for Myself Yeti dont care at all about national champs, so its all on my own bill. I just finalized my plans for national champs in Adelaide later this month....for DH and 4X $300 entries (which I must give props to Adelaide MTB club for refunding my 4X entry) so $200 entry, $400 flights, Atleast $300 excess baggeage to get the gear I eed to Adelaide, $400 hire car for 5 days, $100 Airport parking for my car, atleast $100 misc expenses, and I am lucky enough to be able to stay with Friends at the race to cut my accomodation costs. But thats still a $1500 trip for a race that my sponsors dont care about and would rather I dont do. To get myself burnt out on races that don't matter to them! And when your sponsors dont care about the race, then there are many ways I would rather spend $1500. Keep in mind here, When racing World Cups is what your whole year centers around, the national series is a very distant 2nd.

Lets get one point clear, if I could break even, and someone would cover my costs, before relying on Prizemoney for a national race, then I Would be there! At the end of the day, I love racing, Im a competitive person! But Over 9 years as a Pro racer I have been offered a grand total of $0 to attend national rounds. Again, not a big deal, I dont expect someone to pay my way, but when you race almost all year round for your sponsors, and then talk about racing an event that means nothing to your sponsors and having to fork out your own money to attend it, it really doest rate it highly on the "to do" list.

Sorry if I come across as negative, but there is zero incentive for Aussie Pros to race. Maybe if CA/MTBA wanted more attendance from pros they would do something about it, rather than just expecting them to show up, its a solid race series, but far from the the pinnacle.

Last edited:

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The thread was pointed in my direction as something I maybe should contribute towards, and im glad I can. I get hit with this question quite often, and I hope I can shed some light.

Ive read through the whole thread and I can say that Driftking, Bogoda, the Cat, and certainly SteveW are on the money.

Firstly, we race/live/breathe MTB atleast 10 months af the year....why only 10 months of the year...not 12? Well come January training is in full swing again for the world Cups, all our preparation is based around being at our peak for the races that our sponsors want us to do well at. Our race season ends in September, but there is always other sponsors obligations/interviews/new product testing and analysis that happens as soon as the season is over in September. It doesnt happen 12 months of the year because everyone needs a break! I know for myself, November and December are the only months of the year I can get into my normal life/routine and just enjoy ridiing for the reasons I stared doing it in the first place. thats 2 months of the year I can enjoy my ridiing for what it is.

Why dont we race as part of our race preparation....well 99% of pros know what they need to do to be at their best for an international race. Which is based around physical training, and preparation, not domestic racing. And for a World cup season, which involves more physical prep than ego boosting against other racers. You have to pick and choose your battles. EG...I wanted to win the Adelaide round of the DH national series in 2008. So I trained for it, Sam Hill turned up to race also, but didnt prepare for the race at all, because he was resting and preparing for other races.....he didnt care, and had bigger fish to fry. I beat him at that race, but did I beat him in any other big races that year.....negative!

The financial side.....Our sponsors pay us to race world cups primarily, and select other races. for Myself Yeti dont care at all about national champs, so its all on my own bill. I just finalized my plans for national champs in Adelaide later this month....for DH and 4X $300 entries (which I must give props to Adelaide MTB club for refunding my 4X entry) so $200 entry, $400 flights, Atleast $300 excess baggeage to get the gear I eed to Adelaide, $400 hire car for 5 days, $100 Airport parking for my car, atleast $100 misc expenses, and I am lucky enough to be able to stay with Friends at the race to cut my accomodation costs. But thats still a $1500 trip for a race that my sponsors dont care about and would rather I dont do. To get myself burnt out on races that don't matter to them! And when your sponsors dont care about the race, then there are many ways I would rather spend $1500. Keep in mind here, When racing World Cups is what your whole year centers around, the national series is a very distant 2nd.

Lets get one point clear, if I could break even, and someone would cover my costs, before relying on Prizemoney for a national race, then I Would be there! At the end of the day, I love racing, Im a competitive person! But Over 9 years as a Pro racer I have been offered a grand total of $0 to attend national rounds. Again, not a big deal, I dont expect someone to pay my way, but when you race almost all year round for your sponsors, and then talk about racing an event that means nothing to your sponsors and having to fork out your own money to attend it, it really doest rate it highly on the "to do" list.

Sorry if I come across as negative, but there is zero incentive for Aussie Pros to race. Maybe if CA/MTBA wanted more attendance from pros they would do something about it, rather than just expecting them to show up, its a solid race series, but far from the the pinnacle.
Totally understandable . Jared your the ONLY pro that gets on this AUSTRALIAN site and we love it . It would be great to here more from you but im sure you have a lot on . All the best for 2011 .

stevenw

Pro Rider
Maybe the question should be: Why don't international teams give financial support to their Aus riders to race and support the domestic scene?
Thats a great question. I know when Rhys started riding for Ancillotti, he was expected to race all the National races, but they didn't help Rhys pay for it all. Rhys was working full time, training full time and in the end he couldn't afford to do all the races, because he still needed to save his money so he could make his car repayments, spending money ect when he goes back overseas. In the end, he got overseas and broke his arm (twice in 7 weeks) season over!

It would help so much if sponsors could help our riders race in their own countries.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
It is all about the reward you get from it as the sponsor. As an ex-WC team manager we were lucky enough to have a sponsor who fronted up with some cars and some (sweet FA) money towards competing locally. The difference is they also had a use for us locally as well (we did media crap at vehicle shows etc). They also flew some of our riders to Korea to attend what I would best describe as a waste of time event... but again it was all about return for them. We are a bloody small market here, but we are getting better at getting the message about our races out there and with that may come some pressure from the sponsors for riders to make more appearances.

Attachments

jrewing

Eats Squid
Totally understandable . Jared your the ONLY pro that gets on this AUSTRALIAN site and we love it . It would be great to here more from you but im sure you have a lot on . All the best for 2011 .
nah kovarik sells rennie's shit on here all the time.
How goods jared tho. Champ

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome to get the input and perspective of a pro at the very top of the sport. Jared thanks for contributing. You make a pretty compelling argument.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Thats the clincher right there. The clubs can offer some extra incentive to attract a few guys but ultimately there isn't anything much more than that on offer I guess. Thanks Jared!
This is slightly off topic but relevant none the less: Would more pro riders show up to a national round if there sponsors / suppliers were advertising at the event and asked the rider to compete to promote the brand out of their own pocket?

red gum

Likes Dirt
Hope we have top riders at the Oceania at shepparton.It will be great to see the new 4x track which has just been finished it is the longest in aust check out goulburn valley mountain bike web site for photos it is great plenty of big jumps

swanny

Likes Dirt
So i guess, MTBA needs to get WAY more punters to all the National rounds, then the companies will be half interested in getting themselves some exposure at the Nat races.
Only then, will certain riders be asked to attend national races as part of there marketing campaign.
So the real question of this thread shouldnt be "where are all the pro's", BUT, where are all you "punters". So, come on guys, if you wanna watch the pros, you have to turn up first.

But..... for the punters to turn up, what needs to be done?????
Better tracks?? Better prizes?? Better sponsorship?? Better organization?? Dancing girls?? Free beer??? YES!!!

At any level, MTB racing should just be great fun, and even the Pro's like to have fun....

The Vic Series has many of the above points covered pretty well at the moment, so come visit Victoria. Round 4, March, Mt Baw Baw.

Matt.

jrewing

Eats Squid
i though about buyin Kovariks worlds shirt, but i deemed it too small for my buff

lets ride soon homo

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
thanks Jared great to hear it from the horses mouth.

Thats the clincher right there. The clubs can offer some extra incentive to attract a few guys but ultimately there isn't anything much more than that on offer I guess.
The other question is, I suppose, is it worth while for clubs to offer more?

Yeah it's great to have the pros there. In theory they attract better media coverage... then again our local rags and TV news are just as happy to focus on local kids who are doing well.

Does having pros there attract more riders? I'm not sure on that. The first time Bryn turned up unexpectedly to one of our club rounds word got around and our next clubbie had double the numbers... On the flip side of that we had some big names down for newtons and advertised the crap out of it and got next to no juniors and a very small field of riders over all...

Does having the pros attract more sponsorship? Again I'm not sure. Maybe if you can offer a corporate box with access to the guys in the pit, but would that be just another annoyance to the guys who are trying to chill in their off season and re-find the fun and joy of riding just for the hell of it?

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
thecat raises some good issues (as usual)

On the 'does it attract more sponsorship?' the answer can probably been seen in the number of one-off events (particularly things like the City DH) events that pull good dollars and riders. Willengen ran a cracker of an event that all the pros turned up to because of the prize money, which was driven by good sponsor dollars.

Our big problem is we are a bloody prick of a country to get to and even getting from track to track can be a nightmare. I know from experience that when given the choice a lot of the euro riders prefer NZ for this reason (makes the most of their 14 hour flight). I have always thought that a well planned three - four race series with maybe a couple of races in each might be good if the dollars were there. It would need t0 be timed as a lead-up to the OS season (thus incorporated into the training routines).