Where is the ww2 bomb shelter at Bunyaville ?

camo71

Likes Dirt
Hi , heard the there was an old bomb shelter and possible crash site in Bunyaville , thought I might have a look around , anyone know what section or near which track / trail its located ?
Cheers .

Jump on google maps & look for Quandong Cres. You can actually enter Bunker Rd (dirt track) from the end of the cul-de-sac. There most certainly is (or was when I rode it in 03/04) a dirt & timber UG bunker up there. No sure of the crash site whereabouts, but given the high detail of the sat images online, there's a reasonable likelihood that ground & vegetation will still indicate the event. Look for odd yet distinctive pockets/colourations/thinning of vegetation in on the google imagery for potential tell-tale signs as a starting point for your search. And do bear in mind that it was a live ammo/ordinance dumping ground back in the 40's, so if you do stumble across any intact ordinance for god sake don't pick it up, obviously.

taquar

Likes Dirt
Jump on google maps & look for Quandong Cres. You can actually enter Bunker Rd (dirt track) from the end of the cul-de-sac. There most certainly is (or was when I rode it in 03/04) a dirt & timber UG bunker up there. No sure of the crash site whereabouts, but given the high detail of the sat images online, there's a reasonable likelihood that ground & vegetation will still indicate the event. Look for odd yet distinctive pockets/colourations/thinning of vegetation in on the google imagery for potential tell-tale signs as a starting point for your search. And do bear in mind that it was a live ammo/ordinance dumping ground back in the 40's, so if you do stumble across any intact ordinance for god sake don't pick it up, obviously.
Ignore this terrible piece of advice. The sooner you pick it up, the sooner ACA get's a breaking news story!

And we get a good laugh.

Ignore this terrible piece of advice. The sooner you pick it up, the sooner ACA get's a breaking news story!

And we get a good laugh.
Apologies if I've hit a tender topic. I was under the impression this was all common knowledge- certainly was when I lived there in the 90s, likewise that of the Mitchell bomber crashing. First time I was taken there was with my scouts/rangers group, then a couple of years later for a ww2 history class. That whole southern side had (& I imagine still has) discharged & live ordinance dotted around the it.

camo71

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys , I'll check it out ...
Cheers for the info .., if I find some shells i will get the phone camera out for Lols ..
Kidding :) check out my no hands riding skills

Last edited: