Where to get 1.5" straight steerer headsets?!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Hey guys,

My headset on my old 1.5" straight fork (no, not tapered) is bust, and I need another. I've spent a couple of days on the internet trying and I've eventually found one headset (https://www.merlincycles.com/en-au/chris-king-nothreadset-1-1-2-headset-131318.html)!

Is there something I'm missing, or are these things genuinely rarer that rocking horse poo ?
Less rare than the forks that slide into them still, but yeah not easy to come by.

Last time I bought one they were all pretty obscenely priced, even the FSA one I ended up with was $70 and didn't have cartridge bearings

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
nope, can't find any caged bearings that fit. Also just realized its worse than I thought, as it seems my bike (Marin Quake) is going to be next to impossible to find a replacement for due to the custom size of the headtube https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/2010-marin-quake-7-8-headset-issues.217090/
What exactly is the id of the headtube? If its a 62mm id, then you can order 2 x Cane Creek zs62 cups get a lockring and reuse your headset cap.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
are the cups stuffed? if it's a caged ball bearing and not cartridge you could reuse your cage and buy new balls and swap over. gently pry open cage, swap balls and close up. slow but it will work if the cups are not shagged.

otherwise get a pair of 55 to 49mm reducer sleeves made.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
new bike time..
have you tried the Nukeproof and canecreek mix and match avenues yet..and FSA do a fair assortment of headsets too, look on ebay for those.

Thanks guys. I'll look into the two bottoms option I think it will either be that or have something machined to accept 49mm ID cups. Nukeproof don't offer 1.5" tops at all, and I can't find 55mm ID top cups anywhere period. The current races might be OK (I haven't gone over them super closely) but the cages have been damaged, so I'd have to use ball bearings in the race directly (which I was doing for the top already, but now I'd have to do for the bottom as well and that would just be a nightmare).

And yes, completely reasonable to suggest it is new bike time. However after having ridden a friends specialized bike the other day, I'm holding out to either convert to or buy an ebike :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
the cages have been damaged, so I'd have to use ball bearings in the race directly (which I was doing for the top already, but now I'd have to do for the bottom as well and that would just be a nightmare)
You stick the loose balls in there with thick grease, that's the way we used to do it in the old days, if you want to make it easy you may even tip your frame upside down to do the lower.