Where to MTB in winter??

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Was wondering where people would go if they wanted to spend 3-5 days riding somewhere late July and were willing to drive up to 24 hours (From Melbourne). Riding would be preferably gravity based, any place that has shuttles or a lift would be a winner.

Mates and I were willing to drive to Cairns, but after looking at the travel time by car (32 hours) we were considering somewhere more accessible.
An idea was Forrest near the Otways, but it seems mostly to cater to XC riding. Bright is near the top of my go to list however being winter the trails might be unrideable, however I have no experience with that area during this time of the year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to visit and ride during late July early August?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Where are you departing from?

You can ride Stromlo and Isaacs Pines all year, but you'd have to shuttle yourself and Canberra trails probably wouldn't sustain your interest for 3-5 days if you're only after gravity.

There are some steeper sections in Majura Pines as well, but I can't recall if it's possible to drive to the top.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I ride around here throughout the winter with little issue (the last few weeks aside). Plenty of trail variety on offer and 2 good dh courses.

Coffs is nice this time of year.

I've ridden Canberra in winter and it was great - dry, sunny, cool.

But as Tubbsy has inquired...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Alice Springs ! Dont know where you are driving from but its a beautiful 20-25°C there during the day in July but gets bloody cold when the sun goes down... and I mean minus 5 when I say cold.

You could even call in at Uluru on the way back before they close the rock for good in 2019

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Where are you departing from?

You can ride Stromlo and Isaacs Pines all year, but you'd have to shuttle yourself and Canberra trails probably wouldn't sustain your interest for 3-5 days if you're only after gravity.

There are some steeper sections in Majura Pines as well, but I can't recall if it's possible to drive to the top.
For Canberra:

Stromlo has a shuttle service run by Dynamic Motivation on weekends.
Isaacs doesn't have anything - its more of a couple hour bash and pushing up between runs.
Can't drive up Majura unfortunately... Runs are short and sweet - I typically ride for 1.5-2 hours here.

You can definitely schedule a weekend taking in those three places though.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Majura is almost flow/AM trails as well. They are fast and a little rugged in sections but there are no drops, rock gardens, gaps, etc. like you'd expect on a traditional DH trail, if that's what you're looking for.

I haven't riden DH on Stromlo since 2006 so I don't know what that's like these days but I see lots of folk doing shuttles on the weekend with big sleds.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Majura is almost flow/AM trails as well. They are fast and a little rugged in sections but there are no drops, rock gardens, gaps, etc. like you'd expect on a traditional DH trail, if that's what you're looking for.

I haven't riden DH on Stromlo since 2006 so I don't know what that's like these days but I see lots of folk doing shuttles on the weekend with big sleds.
When I was there last year the vapour trail was very gravity and plenty of fun. The old dh trail I also rode was rugged and rocky, not so well maintained. Both were fun to ride.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
harcourt, problem is there are no shuttles & you can to be able to climb like a boss -actualy they are really techy xc/am trails -but they take all the water u can throw at them