Where to sell my bike?

jforjeremy

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered before (did a quick search and couldn't find anything recent) but....

I'm wanting to sell my bike and I'm pretty keen to get it moving so I can get something new. Any suggestions on the best place/site/forum to sell? Where have you guys/girls sold in the past?

Obviously here was my first thought. I've got it on a few facebook groups (AUSTRALIAN Mountain Bike Buy/Swap/Sell and Mtb buy, swap, sell Australia)

Anyone had any luck elsewhere? Ebay or Gumtree worth trying? Aus Pinkbike forum?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated ;)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
EBay has been my main success along with facebook, gumtree you'll get robbed or shit offers. Here used to do well pre social media days.

jforjeremy

Likes Bikes
EBay has been my main success along with facebook, gumtree you'll get robbed or shit offers. Here used to do well pre social media days.
Legend!!!! I've also had success here in the past, but agree; seems to have slowed down post social media. I'll give Ebay a go.

Not keen to get robbed on Gumtree haha

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Legend!!!! I've also had success here in the past, but agree; seems to have slowed down post social media. I'll give Ebay a go.

Not keen to get robbed on Gumtree haha
Add buy it now 300 more than you want plus remember eBay's large cut, then allow best offers, you'll get more action. Bike exchange is good if you're patient and want top dollar.

safreek

Gumtree works well for me, pretty much all bikes I sell are on gumtree.
Just ignore shit offers, I usually get pretty close to what I'm after.
Fuck eBay, if someone wins the bid and doesn't go through with the purchase they continually hound you for their cut, their mediation is shit and achieves nothing.
I would never use them again to sell

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Agree with @safreek stuff eBay their cut is huge if you include PayPal and their mediation sucks if something goes wrong.

I have had no probs with Gumtree just ignore the low offers and price it like eBay but minus all of their cut and you will sell it fast and free.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Selling something quickly is pretty much always down to pricing it right, whatever the platform.

This is the key to any sale. Have an idea of the price you'd be over the moon with and what you'd actually let it go for.

I value moving things on over a few hundred extra dollars and 6 weeks dealing with time wasters

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Had good results on FB groups too - QLD mtb buy and sell is a good one here in Brissy (seen plenty of RB folk selling on it too). Genuine sellers and genuine buyers for the most part.

jforjeremy

Likes Bikes
This is the key to any sale. Have an idea of the price you'd be over the moon with and what you'd actually let it go for.

I value moving things on over a few hundred extra dollars and 6 weeks dealing with time wasters
"I value moving things on over a few hundred extra dollars and 6 weeks dealing with time wasters" Yes to this!!!! Totally agree

jforjeremy

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys. Found a few more FB groups and might look into Ebay. Potentially Gumtree - however, I have had a mate be on the receiving end of some trouble with Gumtree.

jforjeremy

Likes Bikes
Just in case anyone digs this up.

I ended up selling through Gumtree... the place I least expected to sell. In fact, I actually had the most interest through Gumtree by far.

DeBloot

Feeling old
I sold a bike on FB but on a page specific to the general area I live in (blue Mtns)
Bloke came and picked it up on time and paid what I asked

I've tried to sell a few things on the open marketplace and only ever had mongs and time wasters

jforjeremy

Likes Bikes
I sold a bike on FB but on a page specific to the general area I live in (blue Mtns)
Bloke came and picked it up on time and paid what I asked

I've tried to sell a few things on the open marketplace and only ever had mongs and time wasters
To be honest - I’m pretty rubbish at using FB. Its probably more user error my end haha. I couldn’t really find a specific group relative to my area. I think that would have helped get some interest on FB.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Facebook is good for an Aus wide market. Gumtree for local with pick up.
There are about 5-6 FB pages that are decent for selling or buying bikes and parts, but as said, hard to browse as they get lost in bullshit, it needs a specific search to find gear.