Where to stay in Whistler this coming July? Experienced opinions?

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yo guys, have just booked my time off work and booked flights to Whistler leaving the 16th of July and Returning the 31st.

Accommodation?! Where is my best bet to look in terms of staying somewhere thats going to have easy access to the village/lifts? Not looking to pay a fortune as it's just myself going!

Cheers,
Jordan

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
If you're on a budget and don't mind being about 4kms from the village/lifts, then Southside Lodge in Creekside is worth a look. Stayed there for 3 weeks last year and it was good. 15 min approx bus ride to the village (buses have bike racks too), shops and bottleos and lakes nearby, and a pretty chilled vibe in the hostel. No problems with bikes in the room either.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
check out air B & B . You can stay with some like minded people . Staying as close to whistler / village is best .

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yo guys, have just booked my time off work and booked flights to Whistler leaving the 16th of July and Returning the 31st.

Accommodation?! Where is my best bet to look in terms of staying somewhere thats going to have easy access to the village/lifts? Not looking to pay a fortune as it's just myself going!

Cheers,
Jordan
I'll be there the same time as you and also looking for accomm options-was about to start a thread myself. Might see you there!

higiff

Likes Dirt
staff housing has changed management and they are now strict about enforcing the "staff only" policy even throughout summer so you gotta work for WB to stay there now.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try whistler staff housing if you're on a budget. I haven't stayed there, but been told good things about it. (I usually stay at Bear Lodge, great location and rooms, just costs a bit more).

As said above, staying as close as possible to village is best.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/staff-housing-and-registration/2014-summer-rates.aspx
Whistler staff housing was booked out last year when i was there, and they don't really take bookings more than a week in advance, makes things tricky.

I found an apartment right in the village through VRBO that worked out pretty sweet, easy walk to the lifts or anything in the village. The apartment we had cost us $600 per week and slept 4. There are cheaper places out there, unfortunately we left booking ours until the last-minute.

sketchylanding

Likes Bikes
Check out marketplace lodge. Had a 1 bedroom plus sofa for 150 pw last year and it was tops. Able to cook our own meals to save some cash and just near the supermarket. Far end of the village but that is not a problem.

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Check out marketplace lodge. Had a 1 bedroom plus sofa for 150 pw last year and it was tops. Able to cook our own meals to save some cash and just near the supermarket. Far end of the village but that is not a problem.
+1 for Marketplace, i've stayed there a bunch of times over the years and it's always been good and cheap. It's the back end of the village but it's next to a supermarket and about a 5 minute ride up to fitz.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for marketplace, that's where i stayed.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

Figured I may as well dig this up rather than start my own thread. I'll be there for a week solo from 16th to 22nd (leaving for Canada on Thursday though), definitely keen for riding buddies if any burners are there at that time.

Any tips for a first time whistler experience? Hired a bike thru evolution as I'll only be there a week but taking pedals, fullface and other gear with me. Got them to change brakes to moto style also.

Trails to start/warm up on? I've done my fair share of riding and racing in Aus but that doesn't mean I should launch into the gnarlier tracks straight off the bat and potentially ruin the holiday.
Took that from travel section as I figured it'd get more traction here

Last edited:

scarecrow8888

Likes Dirt
southside lodge is a good spot to find your feet when you arrive but its a bit far from the action. and is pretty basic (usual backpacker style)
book on their website as its cheaper than travel websites.
then make your way up to staff housing if you want cheap place to stay. during summer dont have to be staff (im here now and not staff) about $16 a night however have to book for minimum 2 weeks.
most accom gets snapped up close to crankworx so make sure you get in early or risk paying big $$$

kurtis1984

Likes Dirt
We all need to ride Whistler

I was in Whistler for 2 weeks with my brother last year, so maybe I can help.

+1 for Southside Hostel for accommodation. Was cheap as chips, basic as has been mentioned, but for the price I could not fault it. A few bonuses staying here: you can bring bikes into your room (at least we could last year), you're close to the grocers, and also close to Lake Alta... great for swimming after a day of riding. The bus ride from the Hostel was pretty quick, and then it was a 5 min walk to the hire shop. Yes, it does add a little time, but not much considering how long the lifts are open for! The other thing is that after a few hours of dhing, you're probably going to want a rest. Keep perspective here is what I''m saying. Having a few hours off on a short day, or even a day off (if you're there long enough) will actually keep you more stoked. You've got 1000m of descent to play with, it's a bit!!

Back on point, I also hired from Evolution, found them really friendly and professional. I was switching between A GT Fury and a carbon V10, and the bike was always in good shape.

In term of trails... Where to begin?? If you've got more than a few days I would probably just explore the bottom section (Fitzsimmons lift) on the first day, allows you to get used to your hire bike, how the dirt slides, and also gives you a chance to get over any over-excitement that might cause you to go too big and crash. Warming up on things like B line, Crank it Up, and any of the easier tech stuff will help you to find your mojo. Day two would be a chance to get up the Garbanzo lift and have a look around up there. Blue Velvet was a pretty cool trail to warm up on. Stepping up a little here....Original Sin and Duffman are fun and not too techy, but keep in mind these are black diamond, so don't hit them cold your first time up there.

After this, go for everything! Classic upper stuff like Drop In Clinic and Goats Gully is sick, Fatcrobat was cool. One of the best rides was hitting up something in the Garbo zone, then coming out at Dirt Merchant and cruising that until you connect with A-Line. Just sick. And I'm getting a little choked up thinking how good that trip was! Any questions, please ask more.

Kurt

Last edited:

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3 days in and my hands/arms are killing me. Its like theyve been whacked repeatedly with a rubber mallet. Any advice? I've only got 4 days left so I want to keep riding.

The only trick Ive found is to favour the lower speed tech stuff (goats gully, in deep, renegade etc.) To avoid the washboard gravel bumps on the flowy trails.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
3 days in and my hands/arms are killing me. Its like theyve been whacked repeatedly with a rubber mallet. Any advice? I've only got 4 days left so I want to keep riding.

The only trick Ive found is to favour the lower speed tech stuff (goats gully, in deep, renegade etc.) To avoid the washboard gravel bumps on the flowy trails.
Ibuprofren or 'Motorin' as it's known over there is your friend. Get it from the local pharmacy. Helped me a lot.

higiff

Likes Dirt

Deep tissue massage your forearms (get some moisturiser massage the shit out of them) / and stretch them lots. A lot of the finger pain comes from having tight tendons throughout the wrist / forearm.
Otherwise smash the ibuprofen and loosen up the grip.
The flowy trails are the worst for your hands, Also try lower your compression settings in your fork. You'll dive a little more over the bumps, but its a lot easier on the hands.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt

what brakes you running