which 27.5 wheelset??

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
Any thoughts and im sure lots of opinions as to which wheelset for trail use.

So far ive choosen spank ozzy 295 or hope with stans arch or dt swiss xm1501

Just cant decide.....

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I asked the same question 2 months ago which is probably why there are no replies.
If you want tubeless = Stans.
Everyone said go Stans so I bought Crests for my wifes bike she is always getting punctures
Mind you I have been riding Fulcrum 27.5 HPs for 9 months + they are cheaper, light + I like them though some knowalls poo pooed them.They arent set up tubeless though.
Also depends whether you have the new stupid standard 142x10 mm rear axles cos I dont know if Fulcrums have an adapter?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Buy something with adaptable hubs like Hope pro Evo II or DT Swiss 240 or 350.

If you plan riding anything gnarlier than single track, rims should be tubeless compatible. Hookless is the go, and something wide enough to run decent tyres at lower pressures. I run pretty wide 35mm external rims and run 2.4" mountain kings @~20psi without issue.

No idea where rowdyflat is coming from with getting punctures running tubeless? Maybe the conversion wasn't done right?!?
I was plagued with pinch flats trying to run low pressures with tubes. Been tubeless for well over 2.5 years and never had a flat since (stans sealant top up every 6 months or so).

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I asked the same question 2 months ago which is probably why there are no replies.
If you want tubeless = Stans.
Everyone said go Stans so I bought Crests for my wifes bike she is always getting punctures
Mind you I have been riding Fulcrum 27.5 HPs for 9 months + they are cheaper, light + I like them though some knowalls poo pooed them.They arent set up tubeless though.
Also depends whether you have the new stupid standard 142x10 mm rear axles cos I dont know if Fulcrums have an adapter?
Are you using sealant and tubeless ready casings? I went bush over Easter and encountered some pretty gnarly bindii, out of the 27 I removed from the tyres, 17went through the tyres. No problem while I finished the ride, when I got back to camp and pulled the fuckers out lost about 20 psi before they all sealed up. And haven't lost any air since. If I had tubes, like the poor bloke on the cyclocross bike in the next camp, I'd have had a 40km walk back and it would have been the end of the weekends riding.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Hope have the best hubs but those spank oozy trail 295 rims look like they are fantastic. 25mm internal width, 470 grams. Great tubeless and stiffer/stronger then Stans arch and prob flows. They are reviewed everywhere as awesome! I was gonna grab some DT swiss splines but these spank oozys seem to good to be true
They also weigh in at 1700gm compared with 2000gm for hope flows.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Get the Stans Flow EX set when pushys have a sale on again? Was $500 for the pair, with AU warranty. Pretty hard to beat! Light too!

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
Not that I'm advocating for buying online, but crc are doing Hope hubs with dt revolution (I think) spokes and Spank 295 rims for only $40 more than the spank pre built wheels.

Name brand hubs, the most expensive spoke choice, all built by hand? Sounds like $40 well spent to me.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep I priced it all up last night and you can get pro lls laced to the spank 295 rims with DT double butted spokes for $570. That was 26", but I'm sure it's very similar for 27.5.

The Hope hubs are heavier but are a much better quality item than those Stan's hubs, particularly the rears.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stans rims on Hope hubs are tried and true and bullet proof.

Yes there may be some more attractive options on paper, but I go proven product everytime. Have always had Stans rims on Hope hubs and never had one complaint, often using them for stuff well above what they were recommended for.

Flint

Likes Dirt
I had a set of Spank Oozy 26AL (650B) wheels on my Bronson for a year. The rim itself is good but due to the profile they are a real pain in the ass to get tires on and off, cant be done without levers for that rim and schwalbe tires (not with my weak IT hands anyway). I don't know if other tire brands would be easier or not. They converted to tubeless without any issues using gorilla tape. In the end I just couldn't stand the noise of the Spank hubs anymore so I replaced them with some DT Swiss Spline one's, much more quieter and the tires go on and off much easier.

Cheers