Which Alloy Enduro/Trail 27.5 Bike for around $4k

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
not yet, the uncertainty peaks my anxiety. I can't stand loose ends so I wont even budge from this sadness until I know I'm getting $$$$ from the insurance company not another shitty Merida. My anxiety peaks trying to choose the right bike, plus having to wait 3 months plus for it to arrive. It's an overthinkers nightmare.

All this when Derby is about to re-open FML (well first world problems)

But in better news Jayne's house just sold for about $70k more than we were expecting so now we all get to move in together. I'm really gunna need a new bike asap.
At the end of the day I reckon you'd still be happy with a 2020 140 if that's what the insurance company offers.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Good luck trying to explain Merida's bike "naming" scheme to the insurance company !
They have a "bike company" they deal with. I'd bet it's 99 bikes so they should know.

At the end of the day I reckon you'd still be happy with a 2020 140 if that's what the insurance company offers.
Not really for $3700 you only get revelation forks etc, for less than that you get a canyon with Pikes and RS piggy back rear shock. I'm still trying to work out whether it's worth going up a level to the Fox 36 and DHX rear shock. I'm thinking not, but it would be nice.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
They have a "bike company" they deal with. I'd bet it's 99 bikes so they should know.

Not really for $3700 you only get revelation forks etc, for less than that you get a canyon with Pikes and RS piggy back rear shock. I'm still trying to work out whether it's worth going up a level to the Fox 36 and DHX rear shock. I'm thinking not, but it would be nice.
Rockshox are cheaper and easier to maintain if that makes a difference for you.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Rockshox are cheaper and easier to maintain if that makes a difference for you.
I thought I'd read that, particularly the Fox rear shock was either difficult to set up or had issues? i do like the idea of a bigger 36 vs 34 fork though?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
this trance is hard to go past 2020 trance , slx groupo & fox34 for 2800, easily pay for a melb flight from hobart, but to be honest don’t overlook the 29er, i know it has 130 travel, 115rear but our local excellent bike mechanic, rode both as testers, reckons the 29er kills the 27.5 despite less travel..it’s what he bought himself trance 29er, as you don’t like maydena this wil b plenty enough for derby, and ride better on flat dirt if you decide to do that

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Rigid is even easier, doesn't make it better though ...
Honestly I don't think the premium you pay for FOX compared to RS is worth it. Definitely in parts and servicing. The SRAM distro in aus has a great suspension centre.
And RS stuff is pretty good! the difference between the two is two fifths bugger all on trail.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Just went into a Trek store and saw quite a few Remedy 8’s in stock and priced at $3999.
Absolute bargain at that price.
Bike shortages are generally at prices under $2000.

nathanm

Eats Squid
this trance is hard to go past 2020 trance , slx groupo & fox34 for 2800, easily pay for a melb flight from hobart, but to be honest don’t overlook the 29er, i know it has 130 travel, 115rear but our local excellent bike mechanic, rode both as testers, reckons the 29er kills the 27.5 despite less travel..it’s what he bought himself trance 29er, as you don’t like maydena this wil b plenty enough for derby, and ride better on flat dirt if you decide to do that
Maydena has haunted me since I rode it, upon review I think two things happened there that are now influencing my buying decision
a) I wasn't (nor am I currently) a good enough rider to keep up with my mates who had ridden it many times.
b) The merida just wasn't enough bike for the task, particularly the XT 2 pot brakes and my 125kg weight.

Just went into a Trek store and saw quite a few Remedy 8’s in stock and priced at $3999.
Absolute bargain at that price.
Bike shortages are generally at prices under $2000.
Not sure I can pull the same deal in Tassie, but despite the non-piggy back shock (which for some reason I think i absolutely need due to my size) looks like a pretty good rig for the money. Although the colour scheme is like a techni-colour vomit.

T-Rex

Template denier
I really liked my Scott Genius, 150mm both ends, and 29". The middle of the range is about your budget I think.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Maydena has haunted me since I rode it, upon review I think two things happened there that are now influencing my buying decision
a) I wasn't (nor am I currently) a good enough rider to keep up with my mates who had ridden it many times.
b) The merida just wasn't enough bike for the task, particularly the XT 2 pot brakes and my 125kg weight.
Not sure I can pull the same deal in Tassie, but despite the non-piggy back shock (which for some reason I think i absolutely need due to my size) looks like a pretty good rig for the money. Although the colour scheme is like a techni-colour vomit.
Mate, at 98kg or thereabouts I'm pretty happy that my Maydena experiences have been on four pots. I can imagine yours would've been downright scary.

The problem with Trek in Hobart is dealing with Ken Self Cycles. My experiences there have been far from stellar.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Wasn't a deal. It was the sticker price! I asked the guy and he said that's what Trek told them to put the RRP at. Strange, I know so maybe give a Trek store in Melbourne a call to get the lowdown. I was in the Springvale store....

The vomit looks much better in the flesh.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
XC
Trail
Enduro
Park/DH

What % would you allocate to each of those for your yearly riding?

Check out Commencal. They have some bikes in stock. Same with YT at Pushys. Might have to bump your budget up to 4k.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
was having a look at the Rocky in my LBS yesterday. Just doesn't quite have the spec for the $$$. Canyon has a better bike for $1k less.
Yeah, I agree with that. I was fortunate to pick up my A50 from Pushys for $3,600 during a sale when they were clearing out end of season stock. Great value at that price.

nathanm

Eats Squid
alright so narrowed it down to, in order of preference -

Canyon Spectral AL6.0 - absolutely perfect but have to wait until end of October.
YT Jeffsy - Looks good but is a little under specc'd for $4k + shipping and building.
Norco Sight - under specc'd though a good price at $3500 allowing for upgrades to brake and shock.

What to do, what to do indeed pooh.