Which alum+coil bike?

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After suggestions for my next bike. Budget to ~$5k, has to be aluminium, and really after a coil rear for that uber small bump velvety feel. 150-160mm travel and 27.5". I know, quite specific, but other than a Giant Reign SX I can't think of anything else that might also fit the bill. The YT Capra Anniversary would have been perfect but it's sold out.

Any other suggestions out there?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Craftworks ENR?

You'd have to budget for the coil separately, but probably doable?

Reactions: CP

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah actually I contacted Craftworks and they've given me a really good response. Basically saying it was intended for air-only, but their testing shows that a coil works in nicely and they're happy to substitute-in. So that's definitely a contender. Aussie-made is a huge bonus, love to support locals if I can!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yeah actually I contacted Craftworks and they've given me a really good response. Basically saying it was intended for air-only, but their testing shows that a coil works in nicely and they're happy to substitute-in. So that's definitely a contender. Aussie-made is a huge bonus, love to support locals if I can!
Maybe have a chat with @jrewing

Positive feedback on the coil here

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Heap of euros you'll get landed under 5K if you go a run out with enough coil to Chuck a canecreek inline on. anything from jenson usa you can get shipped cheap or a run out crc vitus?

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
+1 on the Process, I had the 2016 with a coil and now a 2018 soon to be with a coil. Both great but if I was in your position I would find it hard to go past the Craftworks. Get one before they are everywhere and we have to call it the Rotorburn Reign.

Reactions: T.3

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Shame they didn't end up making the V1.1 in XL sizing. I reckon Rotorburn members would've just about bought out a production run of XL's there's that many of us tall timbers that are keen on one!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep, I’m still keen but like @beeb I think I’d like an XL.

In conversations with @Craftworks I got the impression that it’s not something that’s been ruled out, just wasnt practical in their last manufacturing run.

Fingers crossed.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah, it wasn't really by their choice as I understand it - I believe the framebuilder couldn't get the longer tubing they needed at the time of the production run. Just unlucky is all. They're great blokes, and I'm super hopeful there'll be an XL in the next production run/model release as I'd both love to support them, and get to ride a bike with the I-track suspension platform. The rearward axle path benefits are so good!

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah used is no problems. Also eyeing out runout 2019s...! I think the Reign SX 1 is probably still the value option, but will look around and possibly wait to see what the 2020 model looks like...

jrewing

Eats Squid
Yeah used is no problems. Also eyeing out runout 2019s...! I think the Reign SX 1 is probably still the value option, but will look around and possibly wait to see what the 2020 model looks like...
Those commencals are a lot of bike for the money

Mattyp

Cows go boing
The reign sx is a good bit of bike for the price. The DVO suspension is killer and with the 2020's not far away youll get a good deal. Big giant dealers are always more negotiable than the little ones, but dont be scared to ask around for a better price.

Reactions: CP

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys, plenty to look into. And a mate has me looking into steel hardtail enduros now lol. Will report back with what I end up with!