Which bike for a new starter..

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Maybe so, but he does mentions the you yangs and Buller as well. I'd rather be over gunned at one than under gunned at the other. Plus there was this:
"have been riding/racing enduro dirt bikes for the last 8 years, so the concept of single track, log jumps, berms etc is something I'm used to."
I'm not an expert on riding xc/trail bikes, but a few of my friends have purchased and ridden trance and similar. Not all, but most of them have flipped it after a few months in favour of a reign or similar. Two of them tried to delay the need with fork upgrades etc, only to end up loosing out even more when they crack and upgrade. Sure this isn't a wide sweeping sample of the riding population, just the few I've known.
Fair points. I was probably too focused on the Wombat part, specifically. I know I would have a bad* time there on my longer-travel bike than my 120-mm 29er. But I know not everyone has the luxury of more than one bike.

* worse

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Can I take this time to point out that slightly too large, way over budget tranny again? Perfect bike. Sell the moto’s op!

Less and less enduro riding available, more mtb trails opening up. And no more oil dumps or valve checks. Unreal.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fair points. I was probably too focused on the Wombat part, specifically. I know I would have a bad* time there on my longer-travel bike than my 120-mm 29er. But I know not everyone has the luxury of more than one bike.

* worse
How do people live with only 1 bike?

With the bigger bikes, just punch a load of helium into the shocks + wheels for those less demanding trails.

Is there a much variance between a reign 2,1 and 0?

I can't get an as new 2011 reign 2 in large for under 1k but it needs some new sprockets and maybe some adjustment of the derailleurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's what we call a money pit...nothing wrong with riding an old bike, but you need to keep in mind that a lot has changed with standards since 2011. For how long will you be able to find compatible parts for that bike? Maybe for a very long time, maybe not.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Again not to say don't do it, just that you need to be aware of things...like axle spacing, head tube changes, wheel size wars, ultraboostdeluxe, eleventy different bb sizes, dropper routing, what was giants stupid proprietary sizing called?

The parts - cassette and derailleur are pretty cheap on the scheme of thibgs and generally work across most bikes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Got me farked, must be some kind of minimalist Amish style religious thing. I can't think of a logical reason, so there must be a sky daddy involved

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
But surely your higher power of.choice wants you to be happy?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
living in wombat & enjoy you yangs [harcourt is similar] i think best suited bike for them all is a 120mm all-around dualie [only trail i don't do at youies is the DH trk -harcourt ride everythig, no8 is sketchy], 140mm & more is a dog to pedal in wombat & gisborne -the woodend shop guy has a trance -its just a bit much travel for local stuff [mark if u havn't been to gissy msg me & i can show u around]
if u do want to goto buller id be hiring for those couple of shuttle days a yr - better that than dropping coin on something u only ride a couple of times then sell at a big loss
whatever you do don't buy specialized, heaps of their Xc bikes around ,

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Got me farked, must be some kind of minimalist Amish style religious thing. I can't think of a logical reason, so there must be a sky daddy involved
im down to 1 MTB, (& a few years ago my wife did want us to go Amish); 130mm HT, with 2 sets of wheels; 29 for races & 27.5 semi-fat for gnarly stuff & screwing around with slower people, or riding wet slop

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
I’m your size and ride all of the stuff mentioned – Wombat, You Yangs (except the two DH trails), Harcourt, Buller (mostly Epic) – on a 130mm 29” Trek Fuel EX. It handles stuff like Cressy brilliantly.

The 150/160mm bikes seem like too much bike to be much fun on Wombat (and Forrest, Anglesea, Gisborne, etc).

Of course with your moto background you *might* find you only want to ride big, in which case they might make more sense. But don’t underestimate what a modern geometry trail bike is capable of.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But don’t underestimate what a moderngeometry trail bike is capable of.
...don't over estimate it either. Time for some action pics demonstrating what people are hitting or wanting to hit with their bikes! This will help y'all contextualise this abstraction.

Here's one of me:

Attachments

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Is there a much variance between a reign 2,1 and 0?

I can't get an as new 2011 reign 2 in large for under 1k but it needs some new sprockets and maybe some adjustment of the derailleurs.
The frame is the same for all models within a given generation, just the bits hung off it determine the particular model.