Which bike for a new starter..

Well thanks for the links, tips and advice. Unfortunately due to my typical bad luck I had to spend half of my budget on some urgent repairs at home, hence why I haven't been keeping tabs on this page much.

This either meant I wait longer to save up for a decent bike... or a pick up a cheaper bike to get me going for now and then give it to the mrs and buy a better bike for myself down the track a little. So I opted for option 2 as it seemed most logical and the mrs would end up with a half decent set of wheels to roll around on.

Picked this up for 9 green ones tonight with a spare set of tyres.

Might even be just what I was after? Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
Giant trance? Looks good for 9 granny smiths and will definitely get you going.

The seat angle is a little bmx, you may want to angle the nose a few degree down, your Gooch will love you......or does the rear shock have no air? Looking at the shock linkage rear shock needs air but I could be wrong!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I wonder if that steerer is overdrive?

Well done getting a bike. May the upgrades begin!

Last edited:
Cheers gents!

Anyone know what best practice is regarding fitting a bash guard and chain guide to this model reign? It has a press fit bb?

I've done some research and come up with some clamp on style bits that I'm still trying to get my head around being new to it all.

I need to change the 44t chain ring upfront as it's copped some shit and is missing a tooth.

What's the go with people converting to a single in the front? Is this to allow the fitment of a bash guard and chain guide? Struggling otherwise?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers, Mark.

Snapcatcher

Likes Bikes
Others will explain it better, but here's my take. Most modern trail bikes run a 1x drive train. (One by, meaning single chain chain ring). They use only one chain ring at the front, but also have a much larger rear cassette (rear gears) so they can get the same range of gears. Benefits are that it's just a simpler system, can ditch the front deraliur, shifter, cables ect. this also saves a bit of weight.

If you wanted to change your 2x to a 1x system, you would need to change a few parts not just the front chain ring.

Others will explain it better, but here's my take. Most modern trail bikes run a 1x drive train. (One by, meaning single chain chain ring). They use only one chain ring at the front, but also have a much larger rear cassette (rear gears) so they can get the same range of gears. Benefits are that it's just a simpler system, can ditch the front deraliur, shifter, cables ect. this also saves a bit of weight.

If you wanted to change your 2x to a 1x system, you would need to change a few parts not just the front chain ring.
Yeah thanks mate, I understand that there is more required.

I think I'll fix up that 44t up and ride around for a while. Knowing me I'll wanna hit the rock gardens and techy stuff pretty soon so I need to get my head around beefing up the drive train to save bashing it again

I once did Huck a drop like that. Shit my pants and cracked the head tube on a dh bike
I highly recommend you.don't try this
You fellas are freaks, no way I'd be hitting those drops...
Lucky you only cracked the head tube I reckon.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Post a close up of your crank etc. Is there 3 tabs on the bottom bracket shell on the drive side? The conversion is pretty easy. Buy a chain ring with however many teeth suit (I recommend 34t, 32 is quite popular). Take the old rings off. Put the new find on where the big ring is now, but the inside of the tabs rather than the outside. Pull the crank off. Now if there is tabs you will want a chain guide secured by those tabs (either iscg05 or iscg o.l.d). If there isn't you will need an adapter that allows the guide to be held in place by the bottom bracket.

camo71

Likes Dirt
Mrp does a 2x chain guide if you have isg o5 tabs and decide it'll be handy , works well - though it would want to for the price ... Came standard on some trances like mine , I'm happy with 2x still