Which bike Trail or XC - Trance 29 2 or Anthem 29 1

Good points and something I've been looking at.....noting I'ma novice when it comes to gear tech.

Why the giant, seems like a good mix of trail and efficiency at a reasonable price point, can get the 29 1 @ 4,500 and 29 2 @ 3,000 so a 1,500 upgrade. Have also looked @ Norco, Scott and Focus, Giants alloy frames seem to stack up well....

Wheels: The 29 1 comes with carbon wheels (same as Pro 1) 29 2 alloy wheels
Fork: 291 better Fox 34 Float Performance Elite, FIT 4 (pro 1, non elite, Grip and 29 2 grip in a Rhythm fork)
Other: 29 1 brakes, dropper, saddle, groupset, shock and fork, upgrades over 29 2??

The Pro '1 can be had for 5,000, carbon upgrade, with a few corners cut on spec, brakes, fork...

Could happily walk out with the 29 2 and have budget for upgrades, only concern that budget wont stretch to the level that the 29 1 is stock...Educate me please :)

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know some people are anti Guide but SRAM overcame the sticky lever issue long ago is my experience I've had years of trouble free operation, some in very warm weather.

herbman

Likes Dirt
I know some people are anti Guide but SRAM overcame the sticky lever issue long ago is my experience I've had years of trouble free operation, some in very warm weather.
Test road a trance 29 with the stock guides on it. On a steep descent they faded bad. Have ridden that descent on a number of sets of different brakes with out issue.
I will stick to my Shimano, they have there own set of issues but they have always slowed me down.

Elpho

Likes Bikes
Test road a trance 29 with the stock guides on it. On a steep descent they faded bad. Have ridden that descent on a number of sets of different brakes with out issue.
I will stick to my Shimano, they have there own set of issues but they have always slowed me down.
I had that same issue on my trance 29 with the stock guides, swapped out to sintered pads and they are fine now though.

herbman

Likes Dirt
So aside from the brakes, what did you think of the bike?
It is a great bike. I was on the bottom level carbon.
Was riding some super tech trails in Alexandra NZ (have a look at the tranz nz coverage for today to see what it is like).
The bike was a size to small for me and and was set up for someone 15ish kgs lighter than me and I still had a blast on it. And if normally ride a 27.5 bikes.
It covers ground well when peddling and coasting and it rolled through some stuff on the descents that it had no right to with a 115mm of rear travel. I was very impressed.
The stock bars were a bit narrow for me but then I normally ride 780-800s.
And I am currently looking at replacing my Rocky Mountain thunderbolt with one.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a long history of cross country style bikes. Most recent purchase was a trail style bike and I find it so much more fun. I’ve ridden it on a couple of long events but not found it a whole lot worse to ride.

Having one good MTB for everything off the road compromising a bit on speed/efficiency in a marathon event is more than made up for on weekend trails for the extra fun and confidence the geometry gives me. I have other bikes for non-MTB riding so there is no need for an XC bike’s on-road speed.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Having one good MTB for everything off the road compromising a bit on speed/efficiency in a marathon event is more than made up for on weekend trails for the extra fun and confidence the geometry gives me.
If challenging the podium is not your thing and entering a race to be happy finishing is how you want to be, I would ride my 66°HA evil every race.

Sadly I know I can reach a podium in "B' grade occasionally in the enduro class races (4hrs) which makes me want to ride and own the bike which is suited to the race.... My Evil is not the right bike.

Warp

Likes Dirt
The stock bars were a bit narrow for me but then I normally ride 780-800s.
Probably they cut the bars on that one. The Trance 29'er comes with 780mm bars from stock.
I have a Trance 29er 2 Alloy.

There's an $1800 discrepancy in pricing between the two models. You could buy the Trance 2, a set of Light Bicycle carbon wheels with DT hubs, and an entire GX upgrade (and likely brakes as well) for that money, and probably give you better results.
Of if you really want to, $1800 is a hell of a wheelset budget to play with.
To upgrade from NX to GX on the Trance 29er 2, you have to be willing to upgrade the wheelset as well as NX is shimano compatible and the stock wheels are NOT the DT Swiss stuff... plus the wheels are a good 2,300grs by themselves.

Or you can go to a Shimano drivetrain and keep the wheels. But I would not recommend that.

So, depending on the buyer's priorities, the 29-1 Alloy may be a better deal. Solid spec with carbon wheels, GX, slightly better suspension, etc. as you point out. Bars and saddle are also lighter versions.

I got the Trance 29er 2, put a set of Nextie Ultralight wheels on it and swapped my shimano stuff on it. I still came up spending less than the T29er1 and I' happy with my blue thingy. :D