Which Body Armour

anthonydd1

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
I'm looking at getting some sort of body armour. I have a Leatt neckbrace so it has to work with that.
I've been looking at the "Thor Sentinel" or the "661 Coresaver". Do any of you guys run with either these two with a neckbrace? Any comments on what is better would help.

Cheers,
Anthony

Hard and fast

Likes Dirt
Hey Mate

The new 2010 661 CoreSaver has a little slot between the back plate and the material Stuff so that you can slide the neck brace into that.

Also interns of the Core Saver, it works really well and lets fresh air in as well so it doesn't get that hot.
Cheers

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
I had a 2010 661 Core Saver for a while but sold it cause it didnt fit properly. I have got a Thor sentinel now and its much better than the core saver, dont even know its there because you wear it on the outside, and its quite light.

mxwill63

Likes Dirt
Yeah i have heard nothing but good things about the Thor armour, and im really thinking of investing in a set as i have bum ribs:(:(

Im not quite sure if the Thor armour has the small slot too connect your neckbrace, but check out your local motorcycle/bicycle store to test it out:D You should also check out the fox airframe arour (or their whole range) as i have seen some of their armour used with a neckbrace, so check it out;)

lachie.g

Likes Dirt
Yeah i have heard nothing but good things about the Thor armour, and im really thinking of investing in a set as i have bum ribs:(:(

Im not quite sure if the Thor armour has the small slot too connect your neckbrace, but check out your local motorcycle/bicycle store to test it out:D You should also check out the fox airframe arour (or their whole range) as i have seen some of their armour used with a neckbrace, so check it out;)
they do fit a leatt in it and they save you!!! i have it and it is really good

cluster

Likes Dirt
I've been looking at the "Thor Sentinel" or the "661 Coresaver". Do any of you guys run with either these two with a neckbrace? Any comments on what is better would help.

Cheers,
Anthony
I use a 661 core saver with a leatt moto gpx neckbrace, works fine... but I had to cut off the top two spine protector plates.

Brownlie

Likes Bikes
I've worn the 661 gear a couple of times, but found that the strap would slip down and force the rest of the armour up off my shoulders, whether it was a sizing issue I'm not sure. But that became be a bit annoying as well as the fact that my leatt neck brace wouldn't fit either. So I decided that it wasn't worth wearing anymore.

Hope that helps with your decision, plus the sentinel looks awesome.

T-Rex

Template denier
Fitting a neck brace around armour is pretty fiddly to get it comfortable and seems to be there is no one solution that suits everyone. A friend of ours purchased a Core Saver and had to remove the chest plate and sew it on lower down.

After a couple of years running neck braces in the House of Rex, and after trying various solutions we use no name Ebay armour, and cut the chest and back plates down so that the brace sits directly on the rider's skin and doesn't touch the armour. This gets it sitting low and minimises the interference with the helmet. We also remove the strap from the neck brace. Cheap and effective.

Last edited:

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Ive used the core saver with leatt for the last year or so and the only thing I have done is make a slit in the back of my jersey so with the armour under my jersery the neck brace sits perfectly over the top and the spine piece slots through the jersey and behind the spine plate. It never moves and has never been uncomfortable.
The only issue I have had is with the core saver itself, nearly all the little pins that hold the spine plates on have come off. Not real happy about that

cluster

Likes Dirt
how did you cut off the back plate pieces, because i want to do that to??
side cutters in behind the little black rivet-looking things, snip 'em off and the spine protectors come off.
it leaves the other half of the rivet(s) inside the material though, so you have to cut a little slit in one side of the material to get it/them out. easy enough, just be careful you dont cut the wrong bits!:rolleyes:

Get Mounted

Likes Dirt
Is the strap needed?

Just dragging this thread out of the bottom drawer to ask a question......for the guys that run a 661 core saver with a leatt, do you find that not using the neck brace strap (with the back support slipped behind the spine protector plates) makes the leatt move around at all? Id prefer to use the strap but it doesnt fit on the the core saver.

Cheers!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I did a lot of research into body armour that would work with a neck brace a while ago and found that disappointingly, most doesn't. You need to get something that is specifically designed with a slot in the back and front to accomodate a brace. The best solution I have found was the A-Stars pressure suit that was only released this earlier this year. The Leatt brace actually seems more comfortable with it than without it.

Get Mounted

Likes Dirt
Very nice! The 661 core saver does have a slot at the back between your back and the spine protector to slip the neckbrace and it fits nicely at the front too, the only problem seems you cant use the chest strap that comnes with the Leatt neck brace. Im just not sure how stable they are without that strap, I know leatt state in their users guide that its only optional. Does anyone run their leatt either with the 661 or by itself without the strap?

driftking

Wheel size expert
the new nukeproof stuff also looks like the goods with a area for the leat brace to fit in, it is shaped similar to the leat armor in that is is accually a cut out section to fit into not just a little pocket. The CRC team had been using and testing the body armor during last years worldcup, it looks quite slim and fitting so hopefully ti pulls out the goods. THe armor also comes in a core saver version.