which brakes trp vs magura

Hools

Likes Dirt
I replaced some hopes (v4) with quadiems, currently running another set of hopes (v4) on a second rig.

Trp have a much firmer lever feel, but the best part is that they are dead silent. So fucking hard to get the hopes set up to not squeal.

The performance is pretty similar outside the lever feel but I couldn't deal with the noise. To be fair I ran my last set for about 4 years over a few bikes.

I will be replacing the v4's I still have with some cura 4's from bike 24.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
I’ve been running the same set of E4’s for about six years. Never had a problem with noise, but sticky pistons and pads rubbing are another story. They seem to need lots of maintenance.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Hopes look better!
That’s all that matters.

Mine squeal unless I use em properly. They didn’t squeal but then I washed the bike and got soap all over the rotors/pads. Doesn’t bother me to be honest, they stop fine. I rate the serviceability and guaranteed spare parts availability.
V4’s are plenty powerful enough. If they aren’t people need to squeeze the lever further in.

Ultra Lord

TRPs don't have squishy seals and fragile ceramic pistons that tend to get stuck. The ease of bleeding is in another world as well.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
That might be so, but the actual manufacturing quality of Hope is top notch.
All hope gear is made very, very well.
The CNC work on the caliper is a work of art, and the finish of all the smaller components in the lever I pulled apart was impressive.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
Ah awesome, so there is a solution.. Didn't see that Wolftooth have a bunch of spare parts and adapters too (of course they do, great fucking guys).
I have 2 adapters (left side) and I found it confusing as F, and at the end of the day I couldnt get the dropper lever in the right spot, so I had to get a regular clamp (problem solved). So if you want a left one let me know

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Cool, I'm yet to order them as I keep thinking I might just get the 8120s, but I'll send an email now to see when the G-Spec Quadiems are back in stock. I might also order the non-G spec ones if the others are out of stock for ages (and go back up in price) at MTBD. Will let you know if I need adapters for the dropper lever @smasher29er, cheers :)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Cool, I'm yet to order them as I keep thinking I might just get the 8120s, but I'll send an email now to see when the G-Spec Quadiems are back in stock. I might also order the non-G spec ones if the others are out of stock for ages (and go back up in price) at MTBD. Will let you know if I need adapters for the dropper lever @smasher29er, cheers :)
Oh god don't do it. The TRPs are a much better brake then the modern Shimano 4 pots. If you must have Shimano, hunt down some Saints or Zees.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Oh god don't do it. The TRPs are a much better brake then the modern Shimano 4 pots. If you must have Shimano, hunt down some Saints or Zees.

Sorry @Oddjob - was watching youtube videos late at night and I've gone and ordered the XT 8120s. I was pretty close to getting the Quadiems and then the Cura4, but I actually do like my M8000s, just wanted a more powerful version and interested to try new lever (which seems some people do like o_O ). No bling for me in this instance, but good to be able to swap calipers and levers around across bikes and reuse hoses and bleed kits etc.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can I piggyback on here briefly?
@Oddjob would the Quadiem be overkill for a 140mm trail bike?

Won't be riding full blown enduro, just aggressive trail riding

Minlak

custom titis

No such thing as overkill just don’t squeeze as hard - I was running Hope E4 on my XC bike :)

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS

What size is your magnificent frame sir? At a less than svelte 100kg kitted up for the trail, the E4s I fitted to my trail bike (Intense Primer) were the single best upgrade from the previous steed, which had lower specced everything, including 2 pots.

Ultra Lord

Nope. No brakes are overkill for any bik. You just squeeze the lever less hard, which stops you hands from getting shagged.
The weight penalty is negligible.

Oddjob

No. They have excellent modulation and even with good pads don't lead to unintentional stoppies. But they are heavy, weight weenies would be better off looking at Curas.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve just purchased the Cotic BFE Max from the sale section here - hopefully simplifying my life!

The brake question was with the 140mm Hardtail in mind. I’ll be 85kg kitted up, so not a heavyweight.

Appreciate the advice all and the enabling

Last edited:

Oddjob

I’ve just purchased the Cotic BFE Max from the sale section here - hopefully simplifying my life!

The brake question was with the 140mm Hardtail in mind. I’ll be 85kg kitted up, so not a heavyweight.

Appreciate the advice all and the enabling
You're obviously not worried about weight then. Quadiem away!

Scotty675

Cable thief
I don't think you can over brake a bike. Im a feather weight 65kgs on a fat day. Every bike I own, bar 1, run 4 pots. I have an xc hardtail with magura mt7-mt8's.
Do I need the stopping power. NO.
Do I like the feel. YES.
Think it's personal preference but I'd go big stoppers everyday of the week.
The newer shimano levers also get a tick. Can definitely tell there is a lot less flex in lever with the twin contact points at the bars.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
GMBN did a interesting video on 2 vs 4 piston brakes and with different size rotors (link below) I tend to agree with everyone above about no such thing as over braked. go 4 go big rotors, no real negatives (unless you are a ultra-xc racer, then maybe)