which brakes trp vs magura

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Just hijacking a little: I'm looking for something in 4 pot that uses mineral oil. Default is XT 4 pots, but looking into these other options for more modulation. in general do the Maguras feel closer to SRAM than Shimano brakes? And the TRP seem like they have more modulation too..
The TRPs have excellent modulation and the best build quality I've seen in a modern mtb brake. I'm not a fan of the m8020 and m8120 4 pots, they feel flimsy compared to the rock solid Quadiems.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
@Oddjob is the non-Gspec version just as good, without the chrome bling? They are a fair bit cheaper, and in stock (although I probably won't purchase for another couple of weeks).

Oddjob

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
The TRPs have excellent modulation and the best build quality I've seen in a modern mtb brake. I'm not a fan of the m8020 and m8120 4 pots, they feel flimsy compared to the rock solid Quadiems.

I was just thinking that the other day that my G-specs DHR's (composite lever) really do have a solid build feel.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was recently on the fence with which brakes to get. Ended up with the g-spec quadiems.

I had issues with the hope floating rotors fouling on the calliper.

I grabbed some swissstop catalyst rotors and the uberbike race matrix pads that were suggested by oddjob and my brakes are now dead silent and really solid lever feel.

I'm think about swapping out another set of hope v4s for these.

Anyone know somewhere online selling the non g-spec version at a reasonable price?

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I was recently on the fence with which brakes to get. Ended up with the g-spec quadiems.

I had issues with the hope floating rotors fouling on the calliper.

I grabbed some swissstop catalyst rotors and the uberbike race matrix pads that were suggested by oddjob and my brakes are now dead silent and really solid lever feel.

I'm think about swapping out another set of hope v4s for these.
Nice way to cheap out on the stopping power.

Oddjob

I think I'll buy local depending on stock...

ugh, one more thing for the TRP - stupid question but my Wolftooth dropper remote is I-Spec II and I don't see an adapter for that here (no left side one) https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/trp-shifter-adaptor-kit

Can ispec be used in both sides? What are other options to connect it up?
Edited.

The G spec Quadiems I have are natively compatible with I spec II. But according to the TRP website they should be I spec B compatible.

I think that I spec II adapter is only for the Quadiems. But if you get the g-spec dh which looks like a g-spec Quadiem they are I spec II compatible.

Confused yet? https://trpcycling.com/product/shift-lever-adapters/

Check with MTB direct exactly what mount their quadiems take and get the Wolftooth i spec b adapter if that suits.

https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/wolf-tooth-dropper-remote-spare-parts

Last edited:

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Ah awesome, so there is a solution.. Didn't see that Wolftooth have a bunch of spare parts and adapters too (of course they do, great fucking guys).

Oddjob

Can anyone with TRP’s compare them to Hopes?
Similar modulation but the TRPs have much firmer feel. TRPs don't have as much adjustment but have higher build quality.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can anyone with TRP’s compare them to Hopes?
I replaced some hopes (v4) with quadiems, currently running another set of hopes (v4) on a second rig.

Trp have a much firmer lever feel, but the best part is that they are dead silent. So fucking hard to get the hopes set up to not squeal.

The performance is pretty similar outside the lever feel but I couldn't deal with the noise. To be fair I ran my last set for about 4 years over a few bikes.

I will be replacing the v4's I still have with some cura 4's from bike 24.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk