smasher29er

Likes Bikes
So I am between the two brands and have reached this junction
TRP:
pro: plenty of places to order pads from, sturdy
cons: no contact point adjustment, heavy

Magura mt7
pro: contact point adjustment, light
cons: Australian available parts seems very limited, concerns about breaking them

help me decide which to get, cheers.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
So I am between the two brands and have reached this junction
TRP:
pro: plenty of places to order pads from, sturdy
cons: no contact point adjustment, heavy

Magura mt7
pro: contact point adjustment, light
cons: Australian available parts seems very limited, concerns about breaking them

help me decide which to get, cheers.
Are you sure the Magura have contact point adjustment? I thought they only had reach?

I have the trail sl brakes which is basically a MT7 for the front and MT8 for the rear. Good brakes but the glorified plastic master cylinder/lever body is a bit of a concern.
You do have to be careful not to strip the threads in the bleed port and I almost crossed the thread after shortening the hose.
Powerful and good modulation though.
Haven’t used TRP so cant give any comparison sorry.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
Are you sure the Magura have contact point adjustment? I thought they only had reach?

I have the trail sl brakes which is basically a MT7 for the front and MT8 for the rear. Good brakes but the glorified plastic master cylinder/lever body is a bit of a concern.
You do have to be careful not to strip the threads in the bleed port and I almost crossed the thread after shortening the hose.
Powerful and good modulation though.
Haven’t used TRP so cant give any comparison sorry.
According to the Magura website they do have bite adjust in the Mt7 pro
https://www.magura.com/en/components/bike/disc-brakes/productdetailpage/?p=27855

Attachments

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
open to suggestions I am not sure of the big difference between all the different quadiums, certainly will be a four piston caliper
The only real difference in the quadiems is the polished chrome finish for the G-spec version.

No idea on the real difference between the dh-r and quadiem.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Scotty675

Cable thief
Mt7s are a good brake. More than enough power there and good modulation. As mentioned you need to be careful screwing in the screw on master as both screw and housing are plastic. Bleeding is a little different to shimanos simple bleed as well. There are multiple lever choices with the maguras as well. I can't comment on trp but keen to try them one day

LPG

likes thicc birds
I'm very happy with my Maguras MT5, had then for a year. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend magura 4 pots. Very powerful and plenty of modulation. Bleeding is easier than Srams (though I used an aftermarket bleed kit). The carbotec levers held up well in a crash that gave it a good impact, flipped the lever backwards and didn't break anything.

I dont know TRP brakes.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Maguras brake well, really well, but the levers are trash imho. Plastic feels flimsy, and a little flexy, and like others said there's the danger of stripping threads. Its a shame because the power is awesome and they otherwise seem really well thought out/built. Bleeding is different, probably not harder but messier (at least for me) and needs the bleed kit.

I've changed the levers out on 2 sets now for Shimano levers with amazing results. But if you're buying new I'd imagine just getting trps would be a better idea. Shimano levers are solid as a rock, pairing them up with the extra oomph of the magura calipers was one of my less stupid ideas

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
So where does everyone get their Magura brake pads from? Supply amounts seem sparse at best within Australia.
Thanks everyone for their input so far

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
So where does everyone get their Magura brake pads from? Supply amounts seem sparse at best within Australia.
I generally get rotors/pads/ parts from german stores. Hibike is one that has a good range of Magura parts and good prices. The only issue is the delivery charge can be high so its worth stocking up when purchasing a few other things as well

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used TRP slates that came stock on my bike for a bit now. Lever shape is not for everyone (i swapped the levers out for shimanos) but they use shimano saint pads (available everywhere), bleed the same as shimanos and use mineral oil.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Eurocycles and Pushys stock Magura pads.......scratch that, just did a quick google. Apparently Eurocycles went out of business last month and Pushys have zero stock :eek:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Maguras brake well, really well, but the levers are trash imho. Plastic feels flimsy, and a little flexy, and like others said there's the danger of stripping threads. Its a shame because the power is awesome and they otherwise seem really well thought out/built. Bleeding is different, probably not harder but messier (at least for me) and needs the bleed kit.

I've changed the levers out on 2 sets now for Shimano levers with amazing results. But if you're buying new I'd imagine just getting trps would be a better idea. Shimano levers are solid as a rock, pairing them up with the extra oomph of the magura calipers was one of my less stupid ideas

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Yep, best thing I did was change the MT5 levers out for XT. Go great with the 4 pot Magura calipers. I'm less stupid now too.

SDA

Likes Dirt
+1 for Magura. I'm a big fan. Follow the instructions (no shortcuts, use a torque wrench, etc) and you should be fine.

I've put the levers into the ground about 3 times now and have had no issues. Ive only needed to realign the brake levers and off you go.

I bought a bunch of spare pads, olives, fluid, etc which I take on riding holidays just in case local shops don't have parts available.

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Did you lose modulation?
I don't think so. They are certainly firmer and engage faster than they did with the Magura levers on it. And thanks for the tyre!

Last edited: