which brakes trp vs magura

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
How did that change the power / modulation of the brakes compared to the Magura lever?
And @Plankosaurus?
I prefer brakes that engage quicker for 1 finger braking. The original MT5 levers had to be nearly in at the bars before they would actually stop me. The XT kick in a lot stronger, faster. Could also be that I found the XT lever much easier to bleed too...

LPG

likes thicc birds
I prefer brakes that engage quicker for 1 finger braking. The original MT5 levers had to be nearly in at the bars before they would actually stop me. The XT kick in a lot stronger, faster. Could also be that I found the XT lever much easier to bleed too...
Sounds like a bleed issue to me. I've heard that some people have issues bleeding the maguras, particularly with air getting through where the bleed cup presses in. Get a bleed kit with a syringe that screws in has meant bleeding worked well for me.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
How did that change the power / modulation of the brakes compared to the Magura lever?
And @Plankosaurus?
Power is at least the same but feels better. More of your squeeze goes into the brake with a solid lever as opposed to a plasticine one like the magura. Maybe it's a placebo thing, maybe it's my Shimano preference showing through, but the mt5s were greatly improved by adding a Shimano lever.

I've got 3 bastardised mash up brakes.

Xt m785 levers and mt5 calipers - very little lever throw before brake and they come on hard with a solid lever feel.

Zee m640 levers and mt5 calipers - bit more throw and don't come on as strong, would easily have the same power though.

Mt5 levers and deore calipers - yuk, I do not like them Sam I am. Soggy feeling, way too much throw, massive long 2 finger lever, almost to the bars for any real power. I did it to muck around with, and they are light, and it is my xc bike, but I'll be sticking deore levers back on asap.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I have wondered this myself, everything I read says it's the servo wave that makes Shimano feel on/off but when people fit Magura calipers all of a sudden there is heaps of modulation.
There might be differences in the caliper cylinder volumes between Shimano and Magura which will affect brake feel with the same lever. If the Mag slave cylinders are larger than the Shimano, for a given oil push from the lever the pistons/pads move less, so you get finer control of the brake. For the same reason 4-pot calipers have better modulation than 2-pot on the same levers. The ServoWave cam in the Shimano lever gives the master piston a real shove early in the stroke to get the pads onto the rotor, and that can give the harsh feeling, but when you learn how to ride the cam there is modulation in spades.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
There might be differences in the caliper cylinder volumes between Shimano and Magura which will affect brake feel with the same lever. If the Mag slave cylinders are larger than the Shimano, for a given oil push from the lever the pistons/pads move less, so you get finer control of the brake. For the same reason 4-pot calipers have better modulation than 2-pot on the same levers. The ServoWave cam in the Shimano lever gives the master piston a real shove early in the stroke to get the pads onto the rotor, and that can give the harsh feeling, but when you learn how to ride the cam there is modulation in spades.
To be honest I've never had trouble with Shimano and modulation but I know everyone complaints about it. Probably also helps I'm only 80kg wet and ride like a wimp.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
To be honest I've never had trouble with Shimano and modulation but I know everyone complaints about it. Probably also helps I'm only 80kg wet and ride like a wimp.
I've never had a problem either. That said. the M775 XTs on my spare bike and related M665 SLX (both first-gen ServoWave) that I also had for a few years do have a softer, more progressive cam profile than the oft-criticised M785 & relatives, but lack a bit in total grunt. Subsequent series have also tamed the cam profile a bit for a more progressive feel.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
Eurocycles and Pushys stock Magura pads.......scratch that, just did a quick google. Apparently Eurocycles went out of business last month and Pushys have zero stock :eek:
that is my worry, that I will have brakes and have to order pads from Europe, which isnt a deal breaker, just annoying for someone who tries to buy within australia

DMan

Sounds like a bleed issue to me. I've heard that some people have issues bleeding the maguras, particularly with air getting through where the bleed cup presses in. Get a bleed kit with a syringe that screws in has meant bleeding worked well for me.
I did have syringes on the MT5 levers and they still sucked to bleed. Shimano with the cup is a piece of piss and they come up trumps. The MT5 levers were very plasticy though as pointed out earlier. The XTs are much sturdier

DMan

that is my worry, that I will have brakes and have to order pads from Europe, which isnt a deal breaker, just annoying for someone who tries to buy within australia
I fitted Miles pads last time. I got those within Australia. They are an absolute bastard to fit though as they are slightly thicker than standard.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone, I am sure you have all been on pins and needles wondering what I am going to decide and [Drum Roll] TRP I am a simple man who like simple things and that seems like TRP. Plus, I like to try and support Australian distributors, and I am not known for being delicate with my bike stuff.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
wondering what I am going to decide and [Drum Roll] TRP
Which ones did you go and from where did you get them? I am considering the same upgrade over my 2 pot XT's and have boiled it down to Magura/TRP so have been watching this thread closely.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
bikebug have pads for Magura albeit in the SwissStop brand.

SDA

Likes Dirt
Definitely sounds like a bleed issue. My MT5's are rock solid. Took me a few goes though.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
Which ones did you go and from where did you get them? I am considering the same upgrade over my 2 pot XT's and have boiled it down to Magura/TRP so have been watching this thread closely.
In a moment of Irony I purchased the gspec R's from chain reaction, they have not arrived yet, but neither have the rotors which I ordered from mountain bikes direct. Well have ordered parts from a few places and I am waiting to see what comes when

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
They arrived today, now Just gotta wait for the rest of the bike to finish the build and see how they stop me. I did ride a mate bike with some Shimanos the other day and it reminded me how I personally prefer brakes with more modulation/less instant bite.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
Been on a couple rides, happy with the stopping power, fair modulation. I am still getting them dialed in, I am not sure if it is just in my head but the front has a different bite point vs the rear and I am not sure if it is something I can fix with a bleed or just need to get used to or is it just all in my head.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Been on a couple rides, happy with the stopping power, fair modulation. I am still getting them dialed in, I am not sure if it is just in my head but the front has a different bite point vs the rear and I am not sure if it is something I can fix with a bleed or just need to get used to or is it just all in my head.
Probably just need to reset the pistons and re-centre the calipers on the disc.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Just hijacking a little: I'm looking for something in 4 pot that uses mineral oil. Default is XT 4 pots, but looking into these other options for more modulation. in general do the Maguras feel closer to SRAM than Shimano brakes? And the TRP seem like they have more modulation too..

DMan

Just hijacking a little: I'm looking for something in 4 pot that uses mineral oil. Default is XT 4 pots, but looking into these other options for more modulation. in general do the Maguras feel closer to SRAM than Shimano brakes? And the TRP seem like they have more modulation too..
Go the Xts...