Which chain for GX cassette and XT derailleur

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I need a new chain for my Franken-drive. Because I couldn't get a MS driver for my new wheel I was forced to go GX. Then I went a OneUp switch oval chainring for good measure.... Franken-drive! So for a new chain would I be better to go GX to match the cassette seeing the only thing Shimano now is the derailleur? Current chain is XTR 12sp.

cammas

Seamstress
KMC? I run one on one bike with 11 speed sram and race face cranks, the other bike has Sunrace 10-46 11 speed cassette, sram derailleur now with race face cranks and I use an XT chain there and shifts fine & runs quietly. I always Frankenstein my drivetrains and never have issues but if yours is 12 speed it maybe different but I see a lot of KMC chains on factory set ups.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GX or KMC? Shimano 12sp chains sometimes don't tend to play well with non-shimano cassette/chainrings.

Edit - seeing as you already have it, see how the XTR goes first?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
@DMan hows the franken-drive? Still running it, works well? Looking to do a similar thing. Moment of weakness order XT 12 but have an XD driver so looking at GX cassette and SRAM chain.

teK--

Eats Squid
Chains seem to be in short supply everywhere but if you can get one at a discount, go the X01 chain as the harder coating is well worth it in terms of value for money over a GX chain.

shiny

Chains seem to be in short supply everywhere but if you can get one at a discount, go the X01 chain as the harder coating is well worth it in terms of value for money over a GX chain.
Cheers. Double the price almost. $54 for a GX and $93 for a X01 currently at Bike Bug. No stock at Pushys just XX1 at $130!!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Cheers. Double the price almost. $54 for a GX and $93 for a X01 currently at Bike Bug. No stock at Pushys just XX1 at $130!!
GX at $54 is good. Especially if it's bikebug as it's free freight then

teK--

Eats Squid
I can't speak from experience as I'm only on my first X01 chain, but it has been purported to be almost twice the service life of a GX. the advantage being if you rotate several X01 chains you keep the rest of the drivetrain wearing a lot less quickly.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I can't speak from experience as I'm only on my first X01 chain, but it has been purported to be almost twice the service life of a GX. the advantage being if you rotate several X01 chains you keep the rest of the drivetrain wearing a lot less quickly.
The bloke from Zero Friction says that X01 and XX1 are the longest lasting chains on the planet.

Second place behind the SRAM top models are YBN SLA chains, but they also have the least resistance of any chain.

Currently riding YBN SLA 12spd and 11spd chain on all my bikes. This is only a recent thing so I have nothing to say about them yet.

shiny

Cheers. Went tight arse and ordered a GX chain. For a future bike so will sit in parts box for now so see how it wears. Hopefully more stock when the time comes to replace and maybe some discount.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For a future bike so will sit in parts box for now so see how it wears.
Upgraditus from the parts box is a wonderful thing.

You have those ~30 items sitting waiting on a frame and keep seeing new-better shit, upgrading from stuff you have never even used :D

...and on some occasions, making a profit on fakebook from the old-new components.