Which discipline do you want to kill off???

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
XC or MTNX, because they both have a state round on the same day :confused: 28th May unless there is a lot of wrong information.

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Date clash

Mountain X was moved because CORC had events on the scheduled race day and could not move them. WSMTB took the round and to avoid another $200 fee to use the track combined it with a club day at SOPA.

XC is a combined round with SHMTB and WMTB having to build a new track after Penrose was logged, the new track will be tested by a club day of WMTB at the new track. In order to give the time to get the track ready it was put back.

NSWMTB is not going to set hard fast rules in XC yet, if a club wishes to move the set date of the race then within reason so be it. The 45 riders that turned up to rd 1 showed XC has problems this year, 2003 opening rd 137 smallest race rd 7 Coffs Harbour 70, 2004 opening rd 140 smallest race rd 4 Temeal 76, 2005 opening round 89 smallest rd 2 Kempsey 42. The demographic for NSWXC is 19 to 40 year old men.

NSWMTB is not going to set hard fast rules in MTNX yet, if a club wishes to move the set date of the race then within reason so be it. There are only 5 tracks in NSW so far and we are trying to establish MTNX as a separate entity, not just something you do between time at the interschoools or at night when the DH is not on. The 49 riders that turned up to rd 1 is encouraging. The demographic for NSWMTNX so far is 15 to 17 year old boys.

NSWMTB is not trying to kill either it is just an unfortunate occurrence that they may clash.

PS the SORC round is still moving on its dates and not yet confirmed, at one stage it was up against the Woodford to Glenbrook which normally gets 700 riders, now that would kill an XC race.

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I realise that the date clash wasn't intentional, but it is a major obstacle for riders that wanted to do both.

We will probably do neither due to distance/injury, but both kids would probably pick the MTNX, which would mean two less riders for the XC... not good when the numbers are dwindling already.

SydneyRider

Likes Dirt
dirt jumping

hey just want to know why we dont have any dirt jumping comps for mtb
or if there are comps here in australia where r they

wsmtbdhvp

Dirt Jump Comps

04-05-2006 10:13 AM

Few problems
1 Finding legal dirt jumps
2 Permission to use dirt jumps for contest
3 Finding someone interested in running a very dangerous style of MTB event

1, Tahmoor apparently runs a DJ comp each year
Mortdale Bike Shed possibly runs the occasional ????
2 Looks like a private set of jumps may be called for but who is going to risk a whole lot of people comming to the site before and after the event.
3 I ran a free ride contest (for everyone not just the top riders) once, a 19 year old lad changed his life forever that day, and every one running events in the MTB knows what can happen.
We may get back into it but untill all 3 problems are addressed it is not going to happen unless you are a recognised rider for Red Bull, etc.

SydneyRider

Likes Dirt
04-05-2006 10:13 AM

Few problems
1 Finding legal dirt jumps
2 Permission to use dirt jumps for contest
3 Finding someone interested in running a very dangerous style of MTB event

1, Tahmoor apparently runs a DJ comp each year
Mortdale Bike Shed possibly runs the occasional ????
2 Looks like a private set of jumps may be called for but who is going to risk a whole lot of people comming to the site before and after the event.
3 I ran a free ride contest (for everyone not just the top riders) once, a 19 year old lad changed his life forever that day, and every one running events in the MTB knows what can happen.
We may get back into it but untill all 3 problems are addressed it is not going to happen unless you are a recognised rider for Red Bull, etc.
well thats crap then how are us aussies ment to make it big livin here... its almost impossible without going over seas.
there are tons of riders out there that have the ability to be the best but unfortunatly no one will make that happen
australia needs to think about supporting the dirt jumping community and start putting on comps and organising sponsers and wat not
we need it

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well thats crap then how are us aussies ment to make it big livin here... its almost impossible without going over seas.
there are tons of riders out there that have the ability to be the best but unfortunatly no one will make that happen
australia needs to think about supporting the dirt jumping community and start putting on comps and organising sponsers and wat not
we need it
What you are waiting for someone to make it happen for you?

Why don't YOU make it happen.

Rik

logged out
we need it
How old are you, 13?
There's alot of cyclists in Australia that deserve support and could make it overseas. If you want dirt jumping to be a big sport, you have to make it happen because everyone else is busy working on things that have a bit more significance in the 2 wheeled world.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
well thats crap .........
.......... australia needs to think about supporting the dirt jumping community and start putting on comps and organising sponsers and wat not
we need it
Nothing stopping you getting out there and trying to make it happen if you feel strong enough about it.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
we need it
A typical response from the Y generation.

SydneyRider

Likes Dirt
comps

ok well im keen to try and make something happen
does any one know who to get in contact for help
or is there anyone that knows how to organise such events
if so let us know and ill get to work on it

wsmtbdhvp

dirt jumps Sydney

ok well im keen to try and make something happen
Outstanding!
does any one know who to get in contact for help
wsmtbdhvp/me, pm me and I will introduce you to Brett Jones NSWMTB freeride co-ordinator and see if we can get something going.
or is there anyone that knows how to organise such events
if so let us know and ill get to work on it
We planned to run a competiton this year but hit a few snags, we can sit down and talk (chat room) and see if we can use your enthuasm to help Brett.

skechy

Cannon Fodder
dj

Im with you sydneyrider, Whether we do anything or not there will be a dj/fr park in sydney within 5 years there has to be have you seen how many guys out there have dj rigs! They just ride around in circles with a blank look on there face looking for somthing that might resemble a jump.

and as for having more significant 2 wheeled issues maby your lycras to tight its cutting off oxygen to your brain. dj is the most dynamic,expressive form of mtb you can get.

Ryan

Radministrator
MTB dirt jumping is like the poor, red-headed cousin of BMX dirt.

There are already plenty of BMX dirt comps on every year, why not start lobbying them to include a 26" class, or even better, just rock up and ride in their expert / beginner classes. There's no restrictions on what bike you can actually ride in most BMX comps as it stands. It happens up here in Brisbane, Pokoj even won the expert class at one comp recently, not too shabby.

Slave

Likes Dirt
Some more on dirt jumps...

I know that we don't have airt jump park outside of Tahmoor in NSW, but I can't really see why when there are jumps such as
- the triple treat at Stromlo. The first is now fixed to be very easy but initally it was a monster - and ended up being closed for racing anyway. The last is actually not that hard but there is a significant rock / boulder thing that's asking for some trouble. Sort of thing maybe best for a dirt jump park?
- Ebenezer 4x track has a massive jump, so big that lines close to it are bunted off. When 4x is about cheeky lines jumps such as this are more dirt jump than 4x.
- Blue Mountains 4x track (name escapes me at the moment) when the b-line when between the a line double. I've heard that this will be / has been changed. This jump and the jump in the track after it are again best for a dirt jump park.

What I'm getting at here is that there are dirt jumps in use at NSW MTB events that constitute dirt jumps. Downhillers shouldn't have to be able to clear a significant rocky double to get good times, and 12 meter jumps in a 4x track don't seem to be about close racing.

I've seen moves pulled on these jumps that could win a dirt jump comp! I've seen backflips at 4x races, blah blah blah.

May not be officially organised but are we sure there is no jump comp at some tracks already?

ps. I'm not bagging any of the above tracks, they just have features relevent to this discussion.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The difference is in how land managers view them.
In DH there are always b lines. In Mtn X the jumps are rollable if you can't jump.

The whole idea if dirt jumps is you have to jump them.

Table tops seem to be the workable solution but still councils are stuck in the 80's and are scared off by the image of some young kid on a clunker he found at the dump getting smashed on public jumps.

On the up side the Jump Comp at www.newtonsplayground.com.au should be cool

Slave

Likes Dirt
TheCat, I sort of agree with your reply. Lets assume I take all the A lines at the 3 tracks I previously mentioned. At all those tracks the a-line jumps could not be rolled so the commitment would be the same as the dirt jumps.

The difference between dirt jumps and the 4x / DH jumps is that you can pace your self on dirt jumps. No one is beside you (aka 4x) at you don't move at a race pace. The penalty for failure could be worse on 4x / dh jumps because of this.

Anyway, the Newtons Playground gig looks excellent! Good info, thanks.