Which elbow and knee pads ?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did some searching here and see a few people rate the Dainese Trailskins knee pads, but the threads are quite old. I've only ever used an open face helmet and gloves for protection and am looking to get something for my elbows and knees as I start to get a bit more confident on the FS bike. I wanna have a go at some WAGE rounds this year and have a full face helmet on the way for that.
What protection have people bought and liked last season ? I think I'm interested in the lighter stuff that you can wear/ride most of the day in. Local shops have SFA to look at or try on..

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I like the knee and elbow pads with a hard shell. I've always had good experiences with 661 gear and am currently using the Rage elbow and knee pads. I also like knee pads with a butterfly opening and am liking the Alpinestars Moab for full dh coverage and the Pro-tec park knee pads for just riding around.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Biggest problem is stuff not sliding down and knee pads that dont dig into the flesh behind your knees.
I have rigid knee/shin pads great protection but never stay up. yep butterfly opening at back of knee is compulsory.
If you want lighter stuff G form is good =full of delicious non Newtonian fluids.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I’m one of the people with trailskins. That have been good for my need and have lasted for a few years now. I use fox launch pro elbow pads. They are smaller than some and allow good arm movement. Again, they meet my needs (not a hardcore rider but have my share of crashes)

BT180

Max Pfaff
Recently bought the 7 iDP Sam Hill knee pads and they're the comfiest pads i'v ever worn. Absolutely zero slippage and not even noticeable behind the knee. They're a slip on pad though, so go well up the thigh and down the leg, so achieve their non-slippage. The downside of that though is that they're not the best pads for summer if you're pedalling a lot - they're pretty warm

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Another vote for the 7iDP Sam Hill pads. Don’t slip and are very comfy. I get the occasional hot spot on the back of my left knee. Not sure what causes it as doesn’t happen all the time and only on the left!. They are a long pad so cover more below the knee than other trail pads. Can feel the air blow around your knee once descending. Pushys have the best price on them at $89 last I looked.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Do a Descent Like a Demon Day with Todd Madsen. I did one at the Goat Farm and loved it! As for pads, I'd go try some on at the LBS. Fitment and feel varies so much between people. Got your rubber sorted?

danncam

Likes Dirt
After banging my knee twice I finally bought a pair of Scott soldier 2's from a LBS. Great price, they breathe better than I expected and the sit nicely. Haven't tested their actual crash worthiness yet, but they are reviewed as good for trail riding protection. They are that soft material that hardens on impact.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Buy a handful of pairs of pads from CRC / MTBD . Try them all on. Send back the ones you don't want for $10ish flat return fee

Dainese trail skins 2 for knees and IXS carvo evo + for elbows

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've tried a few pads and the G-Forms suits me best, light and comfortable, easy to keep clean and dry really fast. Most of the heavier type pads dig into the back of my knees and they're just too hot for the longer rides.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got your rubber sorted?
Tyre tips welcomed, I am thinking to get some burlier rubber for the Fuel Ex, currently has an OEM front and DHF rear, bike is new so haven't done much tweaking yet.

Where does one book in for Descent Like A Demon ?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Another vote for the 7idp knee pads. Either the Sam Hill ones or the Transitions. Great value for money, not too hot, super comfortable and they don't move.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Tyre tips welcomed, I am thinking to get some burlier rubber for the Fuel Ex, currently has an OEM front and DHF rear, bike is new so haven't done much tweaking yet.

Where does one book in for Descent Like A Demon ?
Depends on the surface. If its loose and loamy a Shorty or HR2 for the front. If its hardpack or loose on hardpack another DHF.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Ive got IXS Carve , similar to the flow , but a bit more protection ,

Cant fault them , comfy and as much protection you could hope for without going hard shell.

ive got Gform as well, havent used them since getting the IXS , its on a similar level comfort wise with more protection so there isnt much point.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Shirley once you wrap your knees/elbos in whatever choice of foam you prefer they are still gunna get hot,

I'm not sold on the whole x aren't as forgiving as y in the comfort stakes, they are contact points to an extent and should be treated as such, otherwise every new bike would be realest with the same saddle and grips.