Which elbow and knee pads ?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Different type of pads definitely overheat you more than others which can lead to fatigue which means you crash more but that will also be dependant on the climate you ride in and the sorts of efforts you put in on the bike. I notice a big difference between the Fox launch which are made of a wet suit material and the Gforms which are made from thin lycra.

You wear pads as a preventive measure but I've seen a lot of blokes with the bulky enduro type pads that get caught on rocks and rip straight off, so really not the end all to problems. You need to decide what the appropriate level of protection is for the individual self but for me the Gforms have worked well all round and they're no drama to quickly put on and even though they look like quite flimsy, they work better than they look. If I had to put on heavier pads with straps for every ride I wouldn't bother.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Tyre tips welcomed, I am thinking to get some burlier rubber for the Fuel Ex, currently has an OEM front and DHF rear, bike is new so haven't done much tweaking yet.

Where does one book in for Descent Like A Demon ?
https://jumpnpump.yapsody.com/ has the courses. They change regularly.

As for tyres, DHF (MaxTerra) front and at the rear you decide on fast roll or grip. I ran a 2.3" DHF MaxTerra out front and a 2.4" Ardent out back. The Ardent has since been replaced with a Vittoria Morsa G+. This is on my Tallboy LT. I also did a WAGE round a few years ago on my old Heckler (oh I miss her), and ran a HR2/Ardent combo.

bataleon

Squid
Also, a good tip to get knee pads on (and off) easily is to fold the top section over on itself (the part that has the silicone strip), then fold it back into position once you've pulled the kneepad up to where you'd like it :)

Terminal

Likes Bikes
I have Race Face Ambush knee and elbow pads and I really like them.

The knee pads open up at the rear so you don’t need to slide them up over your foot. It can rub a little if you don’t adjust it right but you soon learn the sweet spot.

I’m in Perth too and they’re probably not the coolest pads out there, but I can ride with them through most of the summer just fine. In fact the D30 material feels more supple when it’s warmed up.

I can’t tell you how they crash though, I only seem to come off when I don’t wear them

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I now have the POC System pads and they are not the cheapest, first 3-5 rides I cursed them, the spandex at the back of the knee nipped my skin after about 2 hours, then I found that wearing them upside down got rid of this. After a month or two I accidently put them on the right way up.... zero nipping issues now, so now wearing them the right way up and no problems and very comfortable.

Seems they took a bit of 'wearing in' to get rid of the nipping issue. They have stretched slightly but this may have been the underlying issue as I bought MED, they didn't feel tight but now they have been worn in, they are very comfortable for full days riding and definitely the coolest (temp) pads I have owned apart from my Raceface Charge, which are scrub pads that are basically reinforced knee warmers.

They are really good now but for the price and the initial break in period, there may be better options out there.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dropped into Kalamunda Cycles to try on some and came home with IXS Flow for elbows and knees. Tried on the IDP Sam Hill knee pads and they were pretty good but so looong. Fox something that was just a glorified sock. Also Dakine (forget the model) but they just didn't sit right, the guard was all bunched up and sat right up off my knee.
They didn't have the burlier IXS Carve in my size but I thought they were a bit heftier than I probably need so the Flows were it.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Dropped into Kalamunda Cycles to try on some and came home with IXS Flow for elbows and knees. Tried on the IDP Sam Hill knee pads and they were pretty good but so looong. Fox something that was just a glorified sock. Also Dakine (forget the model) but they just didn't sit right, the guard was all bunched up and sat right up off my knee.
They didn't have the burlier IXS Carve in my size but I thought they were a bit heftier than I probably need so the Flows were it.
They'll do the job around Perth and the WAGE rounds for sure. Good move and trying them on to see what works with your body.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ixs carve or flow. Carve elbow pads are better than flow imo as the extra strap keeps them stuck like glue. FYI they are tight at first but loosen up for a perfect fit after a week or so. Stick to the sizing guidelines and don’t be tempted to size up.

Goats

Squid
Troy Lee 5500 Elbow and 5400 knees for me.
I prefer the hard caps and they have repaid the investment many times and have been long lasting despite the wear and tear from the crashes.
Elbows can slip down with trail chatter but solved the issue by making my own strap.

slowmick

38-39"
I bought some IXS Carve Evo + elbow pads on the MTB direct sale. Picked my size from the chart based on measurements. They are really tough to pull on and get into place. Is this due to the silicone grippers or size? Will they loosen up or do i need a larger size. I can't tell as it's been more than 20 years since i bought a pair.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I bought some IXS Carve Evo + elbow pads on the MTB direct sale. Picked my size from the chart based on measurements. They are really tough to pull on and get into place. Is this due to the silicone grippers or size? Will they loosen up or do i need a larger size. I can't tell as it's been more than 20 years since i bought a pair.
I bought a some a while back and found the same thing (and am also wondering the same thing, so no help to you I'm afraid...). I was between sizes and went with the larger option and they were uncomfortably tight.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
thanks for the IXS love.

pro-tip
  1. when pulling the pad up over the calves ... make sure you grab as close to the actual ‘meat’ of the pad as opposed to just pulling from the cuff of the pad. Will avoid over stretching the airmesh/seams/ fabric and tearing it to shreds.
  2. actually wash them once in awhile (this is for all pads) all the minerals in your sweat will make the fabric and threads brittle ... not just about the stink.
  3. best to store one pad in the other. Helps to keep its shape and won’t over stretch the impact foam and break it. Although we cover this under warranty, bit of common sense saves everybody time and effort.
  4. some models can remove the x-matter / foam insert. Worth removing these during washing.

thanks again

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
@Nerf Herder - can you offer any advise to me and @beeb on the IXS Care elbow pads. Should they are really tight when new to allow for stretch?
Firm, but not restrictive ... all depends really, you want them tight enough so in a crash they don’t move, but you also don’t want to restrict movement or circulation.

I find the elbows Flow vs Carve are pretty similar in construction / shape / sizing. But I’ll be honest I don’t normally run elbows unless I’m racing and I rarely race these days. So my actual time in with elbows is minimal. Soz