which insurance company??

browny_5

Likes Dirt
i live in queensland and looking to get my downhill bike insured as soon as possible and i was just wondering which insurance company people on here recommend and use???? and yes i did search but couldn't find anything

thanks joe.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Check out Velosure.

I recently received a flyer from them - Looks OK, but I do not have any 'real world' experience with them.

frenchie

Glenorchy MTB Park
If you have home/contents insurance look at CGU. They will insure you belongings (including your bike) for loss/theft/damage any where round the world for a few extra dollars a month. I have been with them for a few years, it's the best deal I could find

pyrop

Likes Bikes
I'm with AAMI with my home contents insurance, I insured my 08 Anthem1 for $3k & it cost me an extra $69 per year which includes theft & damage ($300 access if stolen from home, $100 if stolen away from home? go figure).
Haven't had to claim so I can't say if that process is full of complications...
If you are downhill "racing" I wouldn't be putting that part in any claim for damage & if it is stolen it is always locked up right ;)

browny_5

Likes Dirt
i still live at home so im looking just to get my bike insured rather then a whole package deal thing.

thanks joe

nrma

i just insured mine on my nrma contents insurance which covers it anywhere i take it for $55.00 a year for $3500 cover. only thing it doesnt cover is damage during use or racing.

garfield84

NSWMTB
i recently found out from nrma that bikes are NOT covered from the moment the bike leaves your property until it returns for ANY race event (charity events not included).

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
GIO is pretty good aswell.
We got coverage for while we were in Canada, but when we recieved our documents, it only stated Australia and New Zealand.
So always check your policy states what you signed up for.

Just get it put on your mum and dad's policy.

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got my DH rig insured under my home and contents insurance. It cost $90 a year for a coverage of $2000, with a $1000 excess.

Just ask your home insurance about it.

browny_5

Likes Dirt
thanks for your help.
is there anything i can do so its just my bike insured not a whole home and contents package???

thanks joe.

indica

Serial flasher
I got my DH rig insured under my home and contents insurance. It cost $90 a year for a coverage of $2000, with a $1000 excess.

Just ask your home insurance about it.
What is the point of that?
You have a $1000 insurance on your bike.

thanks for your help.
is there anything i can do so its just my bike insured not a whole home and contents package???

thanks joe.
Yes, Velosure - they now sponsor farkin .... It is reasonable ..

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Chances are your parents already have house/contents insurance. Most insurance companies offer 'valuables' insurance which covers items taken away from the home, IE bikes, ipods etc.
I've worked for an insurance company as an underwriter and can tell you that it's going to be a whole lot cheaper for you to ask your parents to endorse their current policy to cover your bike, than it is to go with velosure.

I'm currently with AAMI, and to have my bike insured it's only costing me an additional $50 per year, however, that's after paying $300 in contents insurance and depending on the value of your bike, it's still cheaper than velosure to get your contents AND valuables covered.

Speak to your parents about getting your bike covered - When you do speak with an insurance company, make sure you get the persons name and cover all your bases in regards to where the bike IS and ISN'T covered - I say this because when shit hits the fan during a claim and when insurance companies start saying "fine print says this" you can say "no i spoke with Jenny who said that it would be covered on the 23rd of December" and they shit bricks.

Good luck bro

browny_5

Likes Dirt
thanks for that peachy now i understand how to go about it thru my parents starting to all make sense now.

joe

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
here you go..
http://www.cyclecover.com.au/
Covered if your bike is on your car, you crash while riding (not races, extra premium for that). It covers as many bikes as you have.
You must have home contents insurance though. Costs me 99 bucks a month :D

Napalm73

Likes Bikes
I concer with the others comments regarding adding it to your parents policy. CGU is probably the best because they cover you whilst riding, for accidential damage. If you break something whilst riding it can be replaced (less the choosen excess).

Some others have restrictions on use or theft away from the home.

Cheers,

rubikat

Likes Dirt
All our toys are covered under our Shannons Insurance policy - 24/7 Australia wide.
Cos we rent, we have contents only insurance and additonal 20K on bikes (movebale valuable) and they are insuared at replacement value. Interestingly our insurance is under $400 per year with a $500 excess. We also get 10K worth of automotive contents insurance for nothing (e.g workshop tools, collectors items).
ended up with them after NRMA wouldn't insurance my car (too young/too fast etc unless you want to pay millions).
FYI- velosure requires bikes of 1,500 in value upwards - I think.
regardless, insurance is worth it in our case.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately you are in QLD, so we won;t get up there until next year with our roll out, but CycleSmart will stack up fairly well against any other policy out there in terms of price.

We are launching the direct-to-customer version in January, but it is mainly designed to be sold though stores for any bikes $1000-and-up.

(Yes, Scott, we will be advertising with you too :)

Oh - and I should probably point out that before moving into insurance I never read the fine print - CHECK if your bike is covered IN use. Most of the policies mentioned above, other than the cycling specific ones, do not cover sporting equipment that is being used.

Last edited: