Which one of these 3 tyres for rear use?

freeriding

Likes Dirt
26in wheels.
aggressive rider.
all year round use.
best possible combination of grip and rolling resistance.

1. minion dhr ii 2.4 dual compound
i run the 2.3 dual and find it awesome.
i want a bit more cushion than the 2.3.
has the 2.4 much more volume/cushion than the 2.3?
will the 2.4 add much more rolling resistance?

2. maxxis aggressor 2.3
is it any good for light mud/slop?
from what i read, it's not a good tyre for non dry conditions.
does it have lots of volume/cushion? i laso read, that it is a bit skinny.
(unfortunately, i see that the 2.5 will not come for the 26 wheels)

3. nobby nic 2.35 speedgrip
is it any good for light mud/slop?
according to schwalbe, speedgrip is a huge upgrade compared to pacestar.
if it is true, this may be one of the best rear all year round tyres.

ps. i wanted to try out the WTB breakout, but it won't come out for 26 wheels.

moorey

call me Mia
DHR2. After years of defending NN's, they just don't hold up for anything more than light trail use (I still use some for that purpose)
That said, I'm running the minion SS on most bikes now. More grip than you'd think, rolls like all getup, and super cheap on a few sites currently. Not suited to steep loose stuff, otherwise ace. Once you lean it over, it has all the grip of a DHR

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
After years of defending NN's, they just don't hold up for anything more than light trail use (I still use some for that purpose)
Are ya using the newer style with the similar tread pattern to Hans Dampf, or the older ones still?

moorey

call me Mia
Are ya using the newer style with the similar tread pattern to Hans Dampf, or the older ones still?
Tried both. Grip wasn't the issue, it's just fragility in rocks. Still run a HD front and NN rear combo for trails. No fan of the HD on the rear.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Tried both. Grip wasn't the issue, it's just fragility in rocks. Still run a HD front and NN rear combo for trails. No fan of the HD on the rear.
I put a new Snakeskin NN on my Trance a few years back and slashed the sidewall on a tiny ass rock during a climb at Lysterfield... wasn't impressed! Haven't tried the new one.
Been using a HD on the rear since I built the Spitfire (it's now on the MmmBop - same tyre for 2 years! Take that whoever says Schwalbe durability sucks!) and I like it.

moorey

call me Mia
I put a new Snakeskin NN on my Trance a few years back and slashed the sidewall on a tiny ass rock during a climb at Lysterfield... wasn't impressed! Haven't tried the new one.
Been using a HD on the rear since I built the Spitfire (it's now on the MmmBop - same tyre for 2 years! Take that whoever says Schwalbe durability sucks!) and I like it.
Maybe if you rode....

I found HD squirmy, and knobs ripping off. Was the TLR, Evo, trail star model.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
It would be between the Aggressor and DHR. DHR is a better allrounder in terms of grip, but is a bit of a pig for rolling. Aggressor rolls super well, but isn't as good as the DHR for winter riding. Why not get both?

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am on the Aggressor for both the reasons you mention. It rolls pretty well and grips pretty well, which is what I am after for a rear tyre.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've also had better luck with the recent Schwalbe Snakeskin casings than Maxxis Exo. Not that the Exo have been terrible. I must be doing something wrong/right :noidea:

The tread still wears away quickly though

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Another tyre to consider is the Onza Ibex. Looks like a modified Minion, rolls really well and grips really well on a variety of surfaces. My local trails have everything from rock, clay, sandy, roots etc definetly worth a look.

Tried a DHR2 on the rear but for trail riding was a slug but loadsa grip!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Isn't the 2.3 aggressor skinny?

Appart from the sidewalls, nobby nic or aggressor has better all around grip?
The Aggressor runs a reasonable bag at 2.3 and in my opinion has more grip than a Nobby. As has been mentioned before, the Nobby isn't designed for the the kind of riding you want to do.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Why not a High Roller II?

I note you aren't considering a High Roller II. Any particular reason? I find it a good option to run all year out back and you can still get 26"

As for your question re 2.3 vs 2.4 DHR II - I recent picked up a 2.5 DHF and was surprised at how little the different in volume was from a 2.3. I would say the difference in 2.4 to 2.3 would be hardly noticeable. Have tried that particular tyre in both sizes but 0.1 of and inch is only a couple of mm.

freeriding

Likes Dirt
hrii is a no-go.

What about a 2.3 dhf dual in the rear?

I read that it rolls better than the dhrii, good grip in all conditions, it's just a bit worse than dhr2 in braking.And i read it's a bit skinny :whistle:
now i am running the 2.3 dhrii dual, and i find it a really really good combination of rolling resistance, all around grip and braking. Exo did the job so far, no flats whatsoever. The one thing i would like, is a bit more volume/cushion.

The final decision will be between dhf 2.3 dual - dhrii 2.4 dual - aggressor 2.3 dual

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
hrii is a no-go.

What about a 2.3 dhf dual in the rear?

I read that it rolls better than the dhrii, good grip in all conditions, it's just a bit worse than dhr2 in braking.And i read it's a bit skinny :whistle:
now i am running the 2.3 dhrii dual, and i find it a really really good combination of rolling resistance, all around grip and braking. Exo did the job so far, no flats whatsoever. The one thing i would like, is a bit more volume/cushion.

The final decision will be between dhf 2.3 dual - dhrii 2.4 dual - aggressor 2.3 dual
If you'd like a bit more volume definitely don't go the DHF 2.3, Maxxis run super skinny at the best of times and a 2.3 in a DHF is way too small. With the Aggressor they've gone a tad bigger and if you have the option of the "Wide Trail" versions of the DHF or DHR they are bigger than the standard Maxxis offerings, actually normal compared to other brands... Kinda shits me how Maxxis have invented some super expensive Wide Trail version that really just puts them in line with all other tyres in terms of volume. :noidea: