Which Rims Mavic 321 or 521

Which rims should i use?

• Total voters

nathan

Likes Dirt
I am thinking of putting new rims and hubs on my 2000 model P3 (see post your ride section for pic). It will be used mainly for DH.

I am going to use Aireal hubs and i was thinking of putting a Mavic 321 on the front (with disc brake) and a Mavic 521 on the back (can only use v brakes on the back).

The question is should i bother with the 321 on the front or just use a 521.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
321's all the way... (should probably read thread first)

actually, i'd probably get 2x 521's... because if you say damage (flat spot or something) one of them (say on the back)... you can swap it onto the front and stick your good one of the back (for the v brakes).

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, When I get my front wheel I am planning on the 521's because, they are just as strong as the 321's imho but lighter.

Ty

Eats Squid
i have 321s on my hardtail and they are just dead weight, they are plenty strong etc etc but i just don't think they are worth 15% more weight.
plus if you go 521s you can still use rim brakes if you ever have to in the future.
i've also heard that the narrower in 521 produces a better tire profile.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah go 521's on the hardtail, very strong and good weight. I have a 321 on the front of my hardtail, but just because it makes me feel tough! Good choice on the hubs, make sure you get em done by a good wheel builder, otherwise you might find the nice rims all farked up and bent.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
if anything i'd rather have a 321 on the rear, which obviously isn't possible in this case. but my GT front rim was a mavic XC jobbie, and it lasted for as long as i've had the bike (from '96?), whereas i trashed the rear in quick time. I don't think you need the extra strength on the front, after all, it has some suspension to protect it.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
id say both 521's, front wheels dont need to be all that stong and for the extra weight i dont think its worth it. im getting a 521 laced to my XT hub for my b'day YAY

nathan

Likes Dirt
thanks for all the info guys. Thats a load of my mind. Looks like ill be going the 521's. As Mr Burns would say "Excelent".

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Get 521's. Most of the pro DHillers use 521's not just for their weight saving, but they don't flat spot anywhere near as easily. Plus i've seen a 12yr old on a Cannondale Gemini break a 321! He was less than 50kg in weight i swear!!!

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
If you're willing to fork out the dosh and add some weight to your bike, go Atomic Laboratories Trail Pimp rims.

Just watch the AtomLab add in Sprung 5, or Dave Watson's crash over the road gap in NWD3 Fat Tyre Fury. Took Dave's bike for a ride afterwards, and the wheel was still sweet. Bike had a few sqeeks thow!