Which sunglasses?

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Hey all, I’m after recommendations for sunnies to wear while riding. Something that stays planted on the head but isn’t hugely expensive like Oakleys.
Better lenses than what can be found in a pair of safety glasses Fromm Bunnos would be nice.
Cheers

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go for a set of goggles.. the Melon Optics are superb, decently priced and excellent service. And you can make them how you like them.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Go for a set of goggles.. the Melon Optics are superb, decently priced and excellent service. And you can make them how you like them.
I don’t wear a full face helmet so not sure that goggles would work. I do like the idea of the extended coverage though.

Bikeexchange seems to be doing Rudy project sale stuff. https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/c...yzer-black-gloss-polarized-3fx-grey/105987854

I’ve got Smith glasses, on sale from CRC a few months back
Thanks for the link and suggestions.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 on the Rudy Project too. I've a set of those in photochromatic and they're pretty good. Sturdy lenses and frame but the lense never really goes quite dark enough for me.

I know what you mean about the goggles working best on a full face helmet but even with a half shell the extended vision and completed lack of dust and other stuff getting flung into my eyes makes it the #1 choice.

Good luck with your hunt though!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I’ve got two pairs of Rudy projects for mtb / commuting.

They have been tough lenses and frames with good photochromic effect.

The only downsides are generally less coverage / full view with the Rudy designs.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I have the Oakley Jawbreaker, awesome glasses, I have a photochromic lens for overcast days/night riding and Prizm lens for sunny days. They provide lots of coverage and they vent really well. If you keep an eye out on CRC, Wiggle, Merlin they pop up for sale from time to time.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Some great suggestions there guys, thanks.
Those Vipers are awesome. Not sure how they’ll stick to the face though.
Like the Melon goggles too!

BT180

Max Pfaff
Got the Oakley Flight Jackets with the prizm trail lenses. Super comfy, stay planted and the vision is excellent. Fail your cheap criteria though, but worth a look if you can find them on special.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have been through a few sets of Oakleys (Jawbreaker, Radar EV, Radarlock XL etc) and am currently using Adidas Zonyk Aero.
I think they are worthy of the conversation with Oakley and breathe better than Jawbreakers.
The Vario lense is the equivalent of Oakley's Prizm

Having said that, I used to carry them with me at all times whilst riding, but only had them on my eyes 30% or so of the time.
Recently I just don't take them at all, but do cop a lot of bugs/mud which is the price paid

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
+1 for Melon goggles (Parker, I haven't tried the Diablos) ... very bang for buck.
Also using their sunnies for riding. Great lenses, light and doesn't fly around when things get techy

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I think a lot of us got rudy's when they had the price glitch. I think I got mine for $30 or something.

The photochrmatic are great but not quite fast enough for MTB (in and out of shade) and not dark enough in full sun. There is not much you can do though because they are all going to be trade offs in one way or another. I have a pair o fpolarised oakleys I bought for $100 and they have been going well but better suited for road riding out in the open. Asde from that I also have a low tint fox pair (not really riding, more for style) and an anaconda yellow lens one which I use surprisingly a lot.