Which tyres do you prefer and why

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
What did you love? The lack of braking grip or the lack of lateral grip? Or, like me, the amazing credibility they gave?
Pffft.., brakes are for pussies and if you aint drifting you aint riding.

You're right, though. They were 2.35, not 2.4. I rode them on XC-ish trails like Bruce Ridge and Kowen (tight, undulating single track) and commuting, which took in a mix of bike path, dirt road and single track. It performed just fine for that kind of riding.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Currently running a maxxis assguy dd at the front and a schwalbe big Betty super trail at the rear because I couldn't find a dhr2 in stock anywhere and wanted to replace my aggressor dd which I felt lacked traction. The big Betty performs very predictably, maybe even more grip than a dhr2. The assguy not so much. I feel like the assguy has all the grip in the world and then suddenly nothing and your on the floor.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Currently running a maxxis assguy dd at the front and a schwalbe big Betty super trail at the rear because I couldn't find a dhr2 in stock anywhere and wanted to replace my aggressor dd which I felt lacked traction. The big Betty performs very predictably, maybe even more grip than a dhr2. The assguy not so much. I feel like the assguy has all the grip in the world and then suddenly nothing and your on the floor.
Are u running a 35mm or wider front rim?
I love the assguy in DD. Best fkn tyre in the world right now.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Are u running a 35mm or wider front rim?
I love the assguy in DD. Best fkn tyre in the world right now.
Even in non DD, have run exo and exo+ Assegais since they came out on the front of the endubro rig... Am finding it hard to resist the urge to bang one on the little bike.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
The side knobs are not well supported if your cornering on hard terrain. Even pushing them with your thumb reveals a lot of fold.

I took them straight off and put Michelin RockR2 on. Those are some proper supported cornering knobs.

Don’t understand the hype of the assguy. Maxxis in general really.

jrewing

Eats Squid
The side knobs are not well supported if your cornering on hard terrain. Even pushing them with your thumb reveals a lot of fold.

I took them straight off and put Michelin RockR2 on. Those are some proper supported cornering knobs.

You ride on pavement or something ?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Firmly agree on both points !

I do not like Assegai's and have no confidence in them when cornering.

General ? Spend $70 on a tyre just for it to blow out of shape, wobble or bunion.

Maxxis are overated tyres, plenty of other great tyres out there that are streaks ahead IMO.

I have went back to Maxxis numerous times, the divorce is final this time :)

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Been playing around with different tyres due to everyone charging (or trying to) stupid money for Maxxis and plenty of wobbly casings.

Specialized T9 Butcher in 29x2.6 is an excellent tyre. Both gravity and grid trail casings feel supple and give great feel. The T9 rubber is almost as soft as max grip and lasts about the same. The grip on the limit is excellent. They communicate really nicely when they are letting go and slide so predictably. Definitely communicate better on the edge than the Assegai but maybe a bee's pube less outright grip. I used the gravity casings on the ebike at 21 and 27psi (the tyres are 1.4kg each so a little less of a drama on the assisted beast) and grid trail (about 1.1kg) on the Madonna at the same pressures with a cushcore in the rear. These are my go to tyres especially when I can still get them cheap from overseas (Grid Trail go for $60!). It's just when the stall at the airport causes extended delays that force me to try others. Gravity casing is stout, in between DD and DH Maxxis but still supple, Grid Trail casing is like a DD/EXO+ hybrid.

Specialized Eliminator T7/9 in 29x2.6. I sometimes run one of these on the rear of the Madonna in Grid Trail casing with a cushcore. Rolls slightly better than the Butcher but the penalty is reduced braking traction. I definitely prefer the Butcher but these are great and a solid back up.

The Specialized 2.6 tyres are basically the same size as a 2.5 Assguy.

So the last delay caused this trial...

WTB Judge Tough High Grip 29x2.4....quite a small tyre, like a 2.3 DHR. As it was so small I put an extra couple of psi in. First run on this on the rear at 30psi I put a hole in the centre of the casing but saved it with a plug. Reinflated it to 30psi and on the second run had a decent rim strike that popped it in another section of the centre tread. Put another plug in it to get me back to the car. They made the list of tyres not for me. Casing felt like a DD/EXO+ hybrid and on the trail it felt harsh and pingy. Didn't like them.

WTB Verdict Light High Grip 29x2.5....compared to the Butcher this rubber is a little harder....about a T7.5 or in between terra and max grip. With the added volume of the 2.5 the casing feels a little more supple and conforms to the trail much better than the 2.4 Judge but not as well as an Assguy 2.5 or the Butcher 2.3 or 2.6. I ran about 24psi in the front with the lighter casing and the grip this tyre gives is predictable and uninspiring at the same time. Definitely not a top tier tyre for grip and confidence but ok. Casing is light like an EXO. Can't comment on durability yet but so far so good (5 rides in).

MSC Gripper DH 2C 29x2.4....rubber feels hard. They roll very well and as a rear tyre they are quite good up here in QLD temps and conditions. They are 5kmh faster than any other tyre I've ridden on my exit from the trails down a tarmac road on a final sprint session (KOM today yeeeew :p 69.6kmh!). Braking is ok especially considering how inflexible the rubber is. The casing feels quite good on the trail and is helping the harder rubber to feel more compliant but it doesn't have the outright grip of the T9 Butcher...not close. These have potential to be excellent but need softer rubber if it were to go on the front....I've just discovered there is a 3C version with softer rubber but currently out of stock. Will try them in the future if they become available. They weigh about 1.2kg so good weight.

EDIT- Just back from a ride and thought this update timely. The MSC Gripper should be called the Accelerator….in steep loose and rocky terrain the lack of braking ability really gets your eyes wide open…it did remind me of how hard you can throw a bike into a catch berm and survive so if there’s a positive that’s it. No good in steeps for me. The speed it doesn’t scrub is scary! Still fast on the tarmac :rolleyes:

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
You ride on pavement or something ?
Yep. That and basically 98% of Australian trail surfaces where the knobs can’t fully penetrate (admittedly, maybe not at the moment with all the rain). I know several people who went assegai and returned to DHF for that reason , but there are better options these days.

At least they were easy to sell.

The comment about the quality is definitely spot on too IMO. Pirelli, Vitoria , Michelin , even specialized have all been better. Comparing a maxxis to a French made Hutchinson is a good laugh.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Never had a bad maxxis bead yet. Assegai
Does squirm if pressures are too low. But 28-30 psi fixes that I feel. I’ve got all types of soil down here and it’s a versatile tyre. Except mud actually.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Been playing around with different tyres due to everyone charging (or trying to) stupid money for Maxxis and plenty of wobbly casings.

Specialized T9 Butcher in 29x2.6 is an excellent tyre. Both gravity and grid trail casings feel supple and give great feel. The T9 rubber is almost as soft as max grip and lasts about the same. The grip on the limit is excellent. They communicate really nicely when they are letting go and slide so predictably. Definitely communicate better on the edge than the Assegai but maybe a bee's pube less outright grip. I used the gravity casings on the ebike at 21 and 27psi (the tyres are 1.4kg each so a little less of a drama on the assisted beast) and grid trail (about 1.1kg) on the Madonna at the same pressures with a cushcore in the rear. These are my go to tyres especially when I can still get them cheap from overseas (Grid Trail go for $60!). It's just when the stall at the airport causes extended delays that force me to try others. Gravity casing is stout, in between DD and DH Maxxis but still supple, Grid Trail casing is like a DD/EXO+ hybrid.

Specialized Eliminator T7/9 in 29x2.6. I sometimes run one of these on the rear of the Madonna in Grid Trail casing with a cushcore. Rolls slightly better than the Butcher but the penalty is reduced braking traction. I definitely prefer the Butcher but these are great and a solid back up.

The Specialized 2.6 tyres are basically the same size as a 2.5 Assguy.

So the last delay caused this trial...

WTB Judge Tough High Grip 29x2.4....quite a small tyre, like a 2.3 DHR. As it was so small I put an extra couple of psi in. First run on this on the rear at 30psi I put a hole in the centre of the casing but saved it with a plug. Reinflated it to 30psi and on the second run had a decent rim strike that popped it in another section of the centre tread. Put another plug in it to get me back to the car. They made the list of tyres not for me. Casing felt like a DD/EXO+ hybrid and on the trail it felt harsh and pingy. Didn't like them.

WTB Verdict Light High Grip 29x2.5....compared to the Butcher this rubber is a little harder....about a T7.5 or in between terra and max grip. With the added volume of the 2.5 the casing feels a little more supple and conforms to the trail much better than the 2.4 Judge but not as well as an Assguy 2.5 or the Butcher 2.3 or 2.6. I ran about 24psi in the front with the lighter casing and the grip this tyre gives is predictable and uninspiring at the same time. Definitely not a top tier tyre for grip and confidence but ok. Casing is light like an EXO. Can't comment on durability yet but so far so good (5 rides in).

MSC Gripper DH 2C 29x2.4....rubber feels hard. They roll very well and as a rear tyre they are quite good up here in QLD temps and conditions. They are 5kmh faster than any other tyre I've ridden on my exit from the trails down a tarmac road on a final sprint session (KOM today yeeeew :p 69.6kmh!). Braking is ok especially considering how inflexible the rubber is. The casing feels quite good on the trail and is helping the harder rubber to feel more compliant but it doesn't have the outright grip of the T9 Butcher...not close. These have potential to be excellent but need softer rubber if it were to go on the front....I've just discovered there is a 3C version with softer rubber but currently out of stock. Will try them in the future if they become available. They weigh about 1.2kg so good weight.
Your thoughts on the WTB Judge surprise me I must say. I've been running the Judge as a front (trail boss rear) and I feel like the casing is absolutely bullet proof, it is a fkn tank at 1.4kg though.

EDIT: Now that I've commented on the casing, next ride out the tyre will explode off the rim :(