Which Welder to buy PLz

Flow-Rider

Burner
You'll probably need a wire brush, grinder, cutting and grinding discs (maybe a flapper disc), some type of fire suppression, clear safety glasses, chipping hammer, holding magnets, a few G-clamps, a few files maybe.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Stainless is the nicest metal to weld IMO. Pools so nicely, and gives the best colours.

Wire, gas, and rods for the stick welder.

An oven for baking the rods and putting bikes on for PYR photo’s.

Dirty big metal weld bench. Good files, new 5 inch corded grinder for making shit welds look better. Flapper disks and grinding wheels. More clamps than you can poke a stick at. Magnets for when you can’t be arsed using clamps.
Wire brush. One for stainless (and only stainless you animals) and one for everything else.

Oxy set for preheating plate when you try and weld something too thick for the little welder to cope, bonus points for trying to braze a mtb frame.
So, now your into making frames you’ll need some pipe benders and a mill to make the lugs and dropouts.
Thinner welder gloves for better feel when brazing.
ANOTHER mask set for brazing. Bonus points for buying the same style as your welding mask so you grab the brazing one when stick welding and burn fuck outta your eyes.

Theres more for sure but I have stuff to do now, will come back later.

Jpez

Down on the left!
What flow rider said but really all you need to start is usually what comes with one of those kits, a grinder and auto mask and you’re off and racing.
like bike tools collect more as you go.
when I started welding we still only had those massive coil AC welders. Roping them up 5 stories to install balustrade was always fun.
when the itty bitty DC welders appeared with shoulder straps and a better weld it was a revelation.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
So I want to buy a home handyman type welder - Not looking at trying to weld stainless at all - What other equipment do I need?
  • Welder
  • Helmet
  • Gloves
  • Hammer
Thinking of https://www.tradetools.com/renegade-industrial-180-amp-inverter-mig-arc-welder
Remember I only have 10amp at home not going to be fitting 15amp plugs

View attachment 371097
dont get too fussed about this, remember that the duty cycle also comes into play with your max current rating
I have a 185A Lincoln with a 10A plug that I changed from 15A..have never had an issue, and I have done some long runs with high current.
You could do SS with that welder no worries, just get some SS wire and some Argon and you are good to go!, and you won't need a chipping hammer with a MIG either

Flow-Rider

Burner
when I started welding we still only had those massive coil AC welders. Roping them up 5 stories to install balustrade was always fun.

Even carrying a caddy with rods, grinder and leads up 200 steps is a mission, then you go to plug the grinder in, and it doesn't work because your colleague swapped it out on you.

Back in my youth, but still in use to this very day.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Even carrying a caddy with rods, grinder and leads up 200 steps is a mission, then you go to plug the grinder in, and it doesn't work because your colleague swapped it out on you.

View attachment 371116

Back in my youth, but still in use to this very day.

View attachment 371113
I made a letterbox out of an old Lincoln Buzzbox..I will post up a photo when I get home!