Which Welder to buy PLz

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Get yourself a small DC Cigweld Arc/Tig, reckon mine weighs 3kg total, easily moved around, the leads weight more than the welder.
Does 90% of the shit you need, the other 10% I take to my wee mate and sweeten him with a carton.

Not sure on the price of the entry level ones now but IRRC mine is a 130amp and was about $300 with an auto darkening helmet, gloves, rods and hammer. That was about 3yrs ago.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Welds ok but had to do gas pipelines. Any root cavity or reinforcement corroded. Autogenous welding saved the day. Km of pipe and thousands of welds.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Welds ok but had to do gas pipelines. Any root cavity or reinforcement corroded. Autogenous welding saved the day. Km of pipe and thousands of welds.
all the welding I do for jet fuel pipelines is autogenous, as I am not very good with rod feed!...Aluminium is not too bad as it doesn't seem to melt into oblivion as quick.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Nice. Raw gas has some very nasty nasties in it that corrodes anything in its way. Autogenous ali? Interesting. Automatic machine?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Nice. Raw gas has some very nasty nasties in it that corrodes anything in its way. Autogenous ali? Interesting. Automatic machine?
nope, just a small 185 Everlast...gotta make sure you have heaps of meat to work with and lots of movement, as it likes to crack on cooling down if there is nowhere for it to go!

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
You can now get 3M speedglas helmets for less than $300. If you don't want to spend $300 on a helmet then I'd spend $100 on a name brand passive helmet with large viewing window. The cheapo auto-darkening helmets are garbage. Don't risk your eyes.

If you intend to occasionaly weld steel in 2mm wall thickness and above then get an inverter stick welder. Even name brand ones are not that expensive, they are super portable, most can run off a 10A power point and you can use them literally anywhere unlike MIG where the shielding gas can often get blown away when used outdoors. For occasional use, the stick welder is still the best option. Even with a variety of welders at my disposal, my BOC inverter stick welder still sees plenty of use.

Get yourself some CIGweld Satincraft 13 electrodes in 3.2mm. As always, beware of cheap no-name brand electrodes. They will be garbage and so will your welds.