Whisky!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Bunnahabhain is one of my faves. Unusually for an Islay it's unpeated, so doesn't pack the smokiness. That's not to say it's weak; it's rich and fruity, pretty much christmas pudding in a bottle. Exceedingly yummy.

I haven't yet had the Port Charlotte, but it is on my radar.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg's recent release "Wee Beastie". It's an unashamedy aggressive thing, young, brash and vicious. Only aged five years, it lacks the subtlety that comes from maturing for a few more years. Lots of peat smoke as one would expect from an Ardbeg, but little refinement on the follow-through. It's very light in colour, which belies its intensity. It's not, and not intended to be, a "nice" whisky, but if you're in the mood for having your senses kicked around a bit, this does it well, with enough refinement to not have you wondering if you'd drunk paint thinner by mistake.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Bunnahabhain is one of my faves. Unusually for an Islay it's unpeated, so doesn't pack the smokiness. That's not to say it's weak; it's rich and fruity, pretty much christmas pudding in a bottle. Exceedingly yummy.

I haven't yet had the Port Charlotte, but it is on my radar.
Agreed. I used to like uber peaty smoky whiskey like Talisker as they pack a punch of flavour, but recently have taken liking to less peaty whiskey yet punchy like the Bunnahabhain. I've also tried this one in the past and was also good: https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_819607/bunnahabhain-stiuireadair-whisky-700ml - though the 12 one is better imo.

Defo try Port Charlotte. It is my number of 1 fave. Not for everyone as I know peeps who think it's way too rich and strong and prefer the Bunnahabhain.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Squeezed in a couple of whiskies after work last night...

Wolfburn Northland single malt. These guys seem to be trying to evade being labelled from one of the traditional Scottish regions, but the map says they are from Highland location and the most northern town on the British mainland. Anyway it is a pretty standard Highland whisky. Light in colour, slightly sweet, very mild hint of smoke. It was quite enjoyable.

https://www.nicks.com.au/wolfburn-single-malt-scotch-whisky-700ml

And also Laphroaig PX cask, which was delicious and complex. While I didn't think it was overly smokey (much less than their standard 10 year) others with me thought it was quite smokey. Certainly a great drink.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
My Review: Talisker 10YO whisky
$80 from Dan Murphys.
Nice box, looks like a classy drop.
I popped the cork, had a sniff. A disturbing aroma of disinfectant. Too late now, I've opened it.

I pour myself a measure, into a nice Orefors scotch glass. the smell of dettol fills the air. I begin to experience a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. As it turns out, that is merely a preliminary to the horrors that follow.
I take a small sip..... oh god, what the fuck is this shit?!?!? dettol, mixed with rough gravel, possibly with a hint of scotch in it, and a decent "fuck you" wallop of alcohol.

The aftertaste is sharp, unfolding to astringent and unpleasant ambience of hospital ward and burnt socks, with a bitter overlay of regret & wasted time and money.

Summary:
If you hate yourself, and you have money to burn, and don't really wish to self-harm by drinking toxic chemicals, but want to know what that experience would be like, then definitely buy this whisky.

Final Thoughts:
I will never shit on Johnny Black or Johnny Blue ever again.
I think fine whisky is dead to me, and the people who made this poison are cunts.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
My Review: Talisker 10YO whisky
$80 from Dan Murphys.
Nice box, looks like a classy drop.
I popped the cork, had a sniff. A disturbing aroma of disinfectant. Too late now, I've opened it.

I pour myself a measure, into a nice Orefors scotch glass. the smell of dettol fills the air. I begin to experience a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. As it turns out, that is merely a preliminary to the horrors that follow.
I take a small sip..... oh god, what the fuck is this shit?!?!? dettol, mixed with rough gravel, possibly with a hint of scotch in it, and a decent "fuck you" wallop of alcohol.

The aftertaste is sharp, unfolding to astringent and unpleasant ambience of hospital ward and burnt socks, with a bitter overlay of regret & wasted time and money.

Summary:
If you hate yourself, and you have money to burn, and don't really wish to self-harm by drinking toxic chemicals, but want to know what that experience would be like, then definitely buy this whisky.

Final Thoughts:
I will never shit on Johnny Black or Johnny Blue ever again.
I think fine whisky is dead to me, and the people who made this poison are cunts.
Don't even think about Ardbeg then.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I hang my head in shame and really didn't mind the Talisker 10. I wasn't a fan of Talisker Storm.

I tried the Glenfarclas cask strength last night and that is the strongest whisky I've tasted and 60% sure helps to get it there. It is nice but you sure don't want too much.

Would be great to have on a trawler in North Sea in the middle of winter at night.

That drink could kill any Covid and it relatives on sight.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
An old fashioned made with:

https://www.23rdstreetdistillery.com.au/hybrid-whiskey-700ml

Seems I had a cocktail party last night. I also made French martinis, but with rum because I had no vodka.

Don't feel too bad @ForkinGreat! For a long time I didn't like Islay whisk(E)y either. I think I have likened the Talisker 10 to something like "imagine a fire, made of rotting seaweed...in an ashtray full of cigarettes and cigar butts. Then a hooker puts the fire out with her piss at the end of a double shift because a bunch of sailors have just arrived in town"... I had no intention of developing a taste for it but one day my mouth just wanted it and ever since I have been looking for the right hooker to piss in my mouth while I smoke a cigar and eat sushi!

If you find yourself with the courage to try again, stick it in a bigger glass or pour a smaller serve. Some whisk(E)y needs a lot of room and time to breathe (like some brandy or wine) before you get stuck into it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I hang my head in shame and really didn't mind the Talisker 10. I wasn't a fan of Talisker Storm.

I tried the Glenfarclas cask strength last night and that is the strongest whisky I've tasted and 60% sure helps to get it there. It is nice but you sure don't want too much.

Would be great to have on a trawler in North Sea in the middle of winter at night.

You talking the 105? That stuff is awesome.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Don't even think about Ardbeg then.

Just a postscript to this.

The best mass market Islay is Lagavulin 16. It's $140 at liqourland but worth the expense.

For something more affordable, I really enjoyed the Bunnahabhain 12 that was mentioned earlier.

If Islay just isn't your thing. Glenlivet is the best of the mass market single malts. The 18 is ridiculously good and the standard 12 puts a lot of more expensive drops to shame.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
An old fashioned made with:

https://www.23rdstreetdistillery.com.au/hybrid-whiskey-700ml

View attachment 378574

Seems I had a cocktail party last night. I also made French martinis, but with rum because I had no vodka.

Don't feel too bad @ForkinGreat! For a long time I didn't like Islay whisk(E)y either. I think I have likened the Talisker 10 to something like "imagine a fire, made of rotting seaweed...in an ashtray full of cigarettes and cigar butts. Then a hooker puts the fire out with her piss at the end of a double shift because a bunch of sailors have just arrived in town"... I had no intention of developing a taste for it but one day my mouth just wanted it and ever since I have been looking for the right hooker to piss in my mouth while I smoke a cigar and eat sushi!

If you find yourself with the courage to try again, stick it in a bigger glass or pour a smaller serve. Some whisk(E)y needs a lot of room and time to breathe (like some brandy or wine) before you get stuck into it.
Damn, if I wasn't for lockdown then I would be up for a schwanky cocktail party at last case del Poodle as long as it is 1960s themed. Safari suits and wide collars FTW.

Looks pretty good sir.

A drop of water - not tap water - can bring it alive and take the sharp edge off it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Just a postscript to this.

The best mass market Islay is Lagavulin 16. It's $140 at liqourland but worth the expense.

For something more affordable, I really enjoyed the Bunnahabhain 12 that was mentioned earlier.

If Islay just isn't your thing. Glenlivet is the best of the mass market single malts. The 18 is ridiculously good and the standard 12 puts a lot of more expensive drops to shame.

If it approved by @Oddjob then I'm in.

Like to add Balvenie 12 to the list. It is nice and smooth and just a little bit smoky. Not very peaty.

Ardbeg 10 is still high up on my list.

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
I bought a bottle of Ardbeg once, first sip was disgusting, like licking an ashtray. I stuck with it though and at the end of the bottle I got it. Not sure if I'll buy another.

I do love Lagavulin 16 and other smoky scotches, just bought the Lagavulan 10, not as good as the 16 but still nice

I was given a bottle of Johnny Walker blue but thought it was overrated. Nice but not worth the cost. Glenlivet is nice too

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!

A mate bought me a bottle of that Glenfarcias for my 50th, still remember the burn on the roof of my mouth. Nice drop though, very powerful

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Damn, if I wasn't for lockdown then I would be up for a schwanky cocktail party at last case del Poodle as long as it is 1960s themed. Safari suits and wide collars FTW.

Looks pretty good sir.

A drop of water - not tap water - can bring it alive and take the sharp edge off it.
Sounds like the dress code has been set!

That is the one.
You could fly a jet with that in the tank.
It's a good one with a lot of flavour. If you want to try and mellow it out and to have a juicer, fresh apple juice and 105 go really well together over ice. Cinnamon optional.

Another accessible Islay is the Laphroaig 10.