Whisky!

Freediver

I can go full Karen
It is an acquired taste sir, just like matcha lattes.

Go Islay, Speyside taste more medicinal to my delicate palate. Jim Beam is the ultimate in medicine tastes IMHO.
I'm the opposite, Highland and Speyside for me. I you want something that tastes like it was aged in a burnt out shipwreck that has been dredged up then you're welcome. Enjoying Arbalour ATM

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm the opposite, Highland and Speyside for me. I you want something that tastes like it was aged in a burnt out shipwreck that has been dredged up then you're welcome. Enjoying Arbalour ATM
I don't mind either, I'm promiscuous with whisky. Some Speysides have that sharper taste for me.

'Ahoy me hearties..........where's my peat.....'

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
All right...it's Friday night (Monday night here) and raining, guess I could update this thread with a few recent tastings...

Glenglassaugh Torfa
This was recommended to me by one of the staff at the local whisky den. She is a new there but seems to like whisky more than most of the other staff so I took her advice. It was easy drinking and enjoyable, the peat and higher alc % were not overpowering.

Spey 12 year old single malt
I found this a little thin on the palate. It was inoffensive and easy enough to drink, but I don't feel the urge to have it again.

Laphroaig PX cask
I was let down by this one. No it wasn't my usual dislike of peat but rather that I was hoping for a noticeable hit of PX. Pedro Ximenez sherry is usually pretty lush and rich, a real flavour giver! My tongue searched and dug, wanting the PX hit...but no, it wasn't really there. Well not that I could find. That said this is something I would drink again as the flavour was quite pleasant and complex. Fruity, spicy, peaty, and lingering.

Lagauvalin 16 year
This whisky packs a huge flavour punch! One of my friends, who isn't much of a whiskey drinker, was gifted a bottle recently and it was not for him! No wonder either. Each mouthful of this is a bit overwhelming with peat and a complex array of drier whiskey flavours. I did like the slight hints of salt, almost like a seaspray. Sometimes you just want to burn your money and try different things...this will be ready for you.

Auchentoshan 12 year
I didn't rate this at all. It was sharp and flat in flavour. I've had the cheaper (no age declaration) single from these guys a few times and prefer it. There is better options around than this for less and also for more.

Glen Scotia Victoriana cask strength
Delicious! It is a strong dram with reasonable comes flavours. As it breathes out there is a sweetness to it, without it being overly sweet. Vanilla, mixed spice, (light) pepper, green apple, toffee, faint hints of smoke. I've had this a few times and not been disappointed.

Benromach Peat Smoke Single Malt
When choosing Scotch I prefer Speyside style whiskies so thought I'd give this a shot. It was quite good. Peat is quite present but you don't feel like you have licked out an ashtray. Plenty of other flavours competing for your attention as well.

It's winter, get out there and suck off a cigar!

* Nick's links for no specific reason. Buy from whoever you want.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Great bit of research sir.

Laphroaig PC wasn't my favourite either. The Laphroaig 10 year and QA cask are the pick of the Laphroaig range that I've tried.

I didn't mind the Lagavulin 16 year but it is bit too strong too. Not so much the peaty taste but it looks a bit dark and will have some taste oomph.

I prefer the lighter taste peaty ones overall.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Great bit of research sir.

Laphroaig PC wasn't my favourite either. The Laphroaig 10 year and QA cask are the pick of the Laphroaig range that I've tried.

I didn't mind the Lagavulin 16 year but it is bit too strong too. Not so much the peaty taste but it looks a bit dark and will have some taste oomph.

I prefer the lighter taste peaty ones overall.
Yeah the PX cask should have been great. Instead it was a bit too muddled up, which happens sometimes when the company is reaching for the stars. I'd have been pleased with a PX presence. PX is my go to for fortified.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah the PX cask should have been great. Instead it was a bit too muddled up, which happens sometimes when the company is reaching for the stars. I'd have been pleased with a PX presence. PX is my go to for fortified.
I agree. I think the standard / base model call it whatever you like it often the best picks.

They shouldn't have to try that hard. Like those beers that pop up occasionally with lime and other things that aren't going to help. Keep it simple FTW.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale