Whisky!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
See a poodle post in the whisky thread knowing you're currently in Japan. Got excited.

Did not disappoint!
The dissapointing part? Have found this for sale online just under ¥8000 yen delivered. This stuff hasn't been produced since the early 90s! But of course the vendor will only do delivery to their local area and I am a long way from there. I know someone that might be able to help me with this, will see them in a few days.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I read somewhere recently that if the country has an E in their name, then whisky is whiskey.

Anyway I had the pleasure of trying this Las night:

https://www.nicks.com.au/suntory-hibiki-blender-s-choice-blended-japanese-whisky-700ml-no-gift-box

It is sensational. Very fruity in flavour and a luscious mouth feel. I would highly recommend. I paid about $20 for a serve that was around 3 shots worth. I love the free pouring approach of old school Japanese bar tenders!

I also had this:

Which I thought might be really bad. It is actually really nice. Smooth and easy drinking, something like most Japanese whisky. There is a hint of bourbon that goes a little as it opens up, but not overpowering or dominant. Slightly spicy. Worth having a try of.

...damn Japanese whisky is expensive at home! Going to be hard to leave this behind.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You don't see it much but I remember Pendarin being rather nice and not too expensive when you do find it.
I've tried 3 different offerings from those guys (assuming you mean Penderyn?) and no thank you! When drinking in the local whisk(e)y bar, if someone asks for a "whatever" when it's my shout they get one of 3 things as a fuck you for not being able to pick something...
  • Penderyn
  • kornog (serving this is referred to as "Korndogging")
  • Los Azlejos skelly Blanco Tequila (I had to google the name, trust me it's really shitty tequila!)
I have a bottle of this here at the moment:

I was in the mood for whisk(e)y but didn't want to splurge. It is an easy drinker and also makes a good old fashioned. It does not however make a good whisky sour.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I read somewhere recently that if the country has an E in their name, then whisky is whiskey.
Interesting, I'd always been under the impression that from Scotland it's whisky, and from anywhere else it's whiskey.... Maybe to settle the debate it should go back to the Gaelic spelling, Uisce. ;-)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm just enjoying a celebratory rusty nail after a loose tap in the shower incident that could have easily ended up in the fuckwits thread.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You don't see it much but I remember Pendarin being rather nice and not too expensive when you do find it.
I've tried 3 different offerings from those guys (assuming you mean Penderyn?) and no thank you!
Penderyn just recently showed up in my local Uncle Dan's outlets, so I got me a bottle the other day, and I have to say I rather like it. Not as in your face as the "burning shipyard" Scottish Islanders - which I particularly like - but fuller-bodied than the insipid Lowland/Speysides despite the deceptively light colour, There's a mild peaty smoke to it, coupled with a curiously indefinable fruity twist. Different, but not necessarily in a bad way - depends what you're looking for in your uisce.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ I'm glad someone has been able to enjoy a penderyn @The Duckmeister . I have tried a few different offerings from them and not been thrilled. They have become a penalty whisky among myself and drinking buddies back home. You know, the drink you buy that guy who says "whatever man". Have you tried the kornog offerings?

I've had a bit of whisky tongiht. Not sure what ... Ummm?

Ledaig
Laphroaig
Buffalo trace

Don't judge you hash bastsrd!!!

Wild turkey rye.

I know...what the fuck? Not sure if I mentioned it before? Anyway this is actually a really good rye. Don't buy anything else in its price range and don't buy anything else within double it's price. Once you are above that poj t there is a few really nice ryes that won't cost you a kidney.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Time to bring this thread back into rotation...

Some recent tastings:

1) Gospel Rye
This is Australian and delicious. It is (uncommonly along rye) produced through a solera system. This gives it a nice richness and body. The flavour isn't overly complex, it is a little sweet (almost a sort of maple syrup in the finish) rather than dry, and a bit of spice. I'm not a fan of many Australian whiskies, but this one is nice.

2) Archie Rose Rye
The world's best rye? Hmmmm...I don't think so. This is an over hyped drop and fuck that price! I found it to be very basic and unfulfilling in taste, next to no aroma, the only highlight being a hint of dark chocolate on the finish. I wanted this to be a good drink and it was not.

3) slow and low rock and rye
I think I've posted this before, but it deserves another post. This is a sweeter whisky with an ever so slight syrupy feel in the mouth. There is a hint of dark choc with a little bit of orange infused. A very enjoyable drink if you want something a little sweeter.

4) Rittenhouse Rye
This is a nice dry spicy rye. The flavours aren't overly complex, just nice. It is also smooth in the mouth.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Time to bring this thread back into rotation...

Some recent tastings:

1) Gospel Rye
This is Australian and delicious. It is (uncommonly along rye) produced through a solera system. This gives it a nice richness and body. The flavour isn't overly complex, it is a little sweet (almost a sort of maple syrup in the finish) rather than dry, and a bit of spice. I'm not a fan of many Australian whiskies, but this one is nice.

2) Archie Rose Rye
The world's best rye? Hmmmm...I don't think so. This is an over hyped drop and fuck that price! I found it to be very basic and unfulfilling in taste, next to no aroma, the only highlight being a hint of dark chocolate on the finish. I wanted this to be a good drink and it was not.

3) slow and low rock and rye
I think I've posted this before, but it deserves another post. This is a sweeter whisky with an ever so slight syrupy feel in the mouth. There is a hint of dark choc with a little bit of orange infused. A very enjoyable drink if you want something a little sweeter.

4) Rittenhouse Rye
This is a nice dry spicy rye. The flavours aren't overly complex, just nice. It is also smooth in the mouth.
What leaves you cold about Aus whiskies?
No skin in the game, not fussed either way, just curious

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What leaves you cold about Aus whiskies?
No skin in the game, not fussed either way, just curious
I've tried more than my fair share and generally I have 3 beefs.
  1. to me they always taste young and sharp, with fuck all aroma and complexity. Even when I have had quite old ones.
  2. the mouth feel is generally thin and unrewarding, which links back to my first point. They generally have such a short finish too.
  3. the price is generally obscene considering the above. When I compare the first 2 points I raise across whiskies of similar price (consider a $150 bottle of Australian, Scottish, and Irish whisk(e)y) the Australian is almost always eclipsed by the others.

Of course we all have different palates and desires from a drink, so what works for me won't work for everyone. When I find myself having the "what's good from Australian whisky?" because a lot of people have just realised Australia makes more spirits than Bundy, my answer is St Agnes 15 or 20 year brandy. The 15 if you can't stretch for the 20, and to be honest I'm not 100% sure that the extra ~$100 for the 20 is worth it (outside special occassions).

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Those Starward folks down in Victoria makes nice whisky. Albeit a bit on pricey side...
Not long ago finished a bottle of their Nova. Was pretty tasty.

Had a bottle of Yamazaki 12 I managed to pick up after getting a taste for the stuff on a trip to Japan. Still have the empty bottle in the cupboard.

Don't often drink whisk(e)y, but do enjoy a good drop.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I also enjoyed the Nova.
Got a bottle of their cheaper Two Fold stuff here now. Interested to how it stacks up. Haven't cracked it yet.