Whistler 2010!!!!

jeremy_2640

Likes Dirt
Heading to Whistler, Canada for the first time around May, who is going? Is Air Canada still the go for flights over there? It's going to be so sweet!!! Has anyone had experience buying a new bike over there? What are the prices like? Lets get this thread happening....

Also decided to start up a baggage allowances table to make it easier for anyone else doing the same...also I will add anything else that will be helpful..

V Australia To US: Economy - 2 Pieces Totaling 32kg
Premium Economy - 2 Pieces 32kg Each

Air Canada: - 2x23kg (1 Bike can be included for $50 Canadian)

Air New Zealand - 3 x 23kg and 1x7kg Cabin, 157cm or less.

Last edited:

Mugger

Senir oMermber
See you there, flying vaustralia in july, pretty much there the whole month. Should be a good holiday.

jeremy_2640

Likes Dirt
Yeah for sure....What sort of price was V Australia? Who did you go with for travel insurance?

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Heading to Whistler, Canada for the first time around May, who is going? Is Air Canada still the go for flights over there? It's going to be so sweet!!! Has anyone had experience buying a new bike over there? What are the prices like? Lets get this thread happening....

Also decided to start up a baggage allowances table to make it easier for anyone else doing the same...also I will add anything else that will be helpful..

V Australia To US: Economy - 2 Pieces Totaling 32kg
Premium Economy - 2 Pieces 32kg Each

Air Canada: - 2x23kg (1 Bike can be included for $50 Canadian)

Air New Zealand - 3 x 23kg and 1x7kg Cabin, 157cm or less.
Jeremy, my experience with Air Canada wasn't good. We were lucky to arrive early as they would have refused to take my bike. Even though I prepaid for it on my ticket. The flight was full, a lady sitting behind us was forced to repack her bags and get rid of things as she was over the allowance and they couldn't carry anymore luggage.

Air New Zealand used to include the bike as part of the 2x 32Kg. And they flew direct to Van via Auckland. Found their service to be excellent. And the Kiwi's are nicer people! lol

DanVucetic

Likes Bikes
Dude fly air china one way tickets at flight centre 870.00 brisbane - vancouver, just bought mine, im going in march.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude fly air china
if you dont mind ending up with a broken bike.

I had a great experience a number of years ago with Air Canada. I had a full dh bike and a hartail frame plus my luggage. I rocked up super early and was prepared to pay excess baggage. The check-in lady actually helped my package up the frame into one big bag with the bike so I wouldnt have excess fees! A full flight can be hard though and you will get the same with any airline.

jeremy_2640

Likes Dirt
hmmm Air New Zealand, V or Air China????? I think I might go speak to a travel agent (friends mum) and see what they think next week....

ajl

Squid
We flew with v australia last year and they were great ($60 for a bike). But got stung on excess luggage on the return by United from Van to LA. So it pays to check out the baggage policy of your first return flight. If you can afford it - go direct.
New bikes are pretty cheap over there also at the end of the season. Depends a bit on brands though.

aaronK

Likes Dirt
HEy

I went in 07 for a season, I brought my bike in the states, I recon buy a bike in vancouver or get onto pinkbike and look for bikes for sale on their they are crazy always selling hlf season old bikes eg v10s and m6 for 3400 complete most of em with 2010 teams etc,

Get health insurance (global A+) I know ur all most prob better riders than I was but it is just alot more terrain and shit loads more arm pump, and budget for repairs to your bike, they get thrashed I would be at the bike shop 2-3 times a week, small stuff and shit that you have never broken before.

But most of all have fun out there , you will find yourself laughing at how long the trails are and the views, hit original sin up was my fav for Garbo and joyride to shlayer for lower part was my favorite.

any questions just ask happy to help

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Can anyone recomend a good, cheapish accom in Whistler?
how long you gona be in town for? if you here for a while(1+ months) you can usually score staff accom. cheap and basic was about 450 a month last year. during summer thats all you need, just a place to sleep really. ride all day till 8 then out all night. good times

Drummond

Likes Bikes
'you can usually score staff accom. cheap and basic was about 450 a month last year.'.
Can you give us more information Jazza? Would be appreciated. I am thinking of coming over for a couple of months.

D.Norton

Likes Dirt
Im planning a 6 month stay this year for my gap year, I have accommodation sorted out already for $3800, but need to look into insurance, flights, visa and all the little stuff.

Can anybody recommend a good insurance company that will cover for riding as well as racing and other activities of the same nature.

Is there going to be a ridiculous excess charge is i take both my bikes over, planning to take my demo 8, but also want to take my pitch. It obviously depends on who i fly with and how many stops i take, but as a general consensus.

Thanks

Mr_Gareth

Likes Bikes
Hey jizm read the tassy thread, thats looks pretty wicked. Wouldn't be that costly to do that one with a few of the boyos sometime. Maybe a pre canadia warm up?