Whistler 2012

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
least of my problems at the moment, binned it massively going over the bars off a drop last night and took a little trip to the medical centre. possible broken scaphoid, reckon i would have broken ribs for sure if i hadnt been wearing armour. oh well, i've had 10 solid days of awesome riding and heading home soon anyway :)
Oh dude, that's a shitty way to end the trip. What run were you on?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Oh dude, that's a shitty way to end the trip. What run were you on?
doing a sweeper run on freight train and stupidly decided to hit that damn container and totally botched dropping off the end of it... long way down over the bars onto rock slab. glad it didn't happen at the start of my trip, was due for a rest anyway.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the trick is not putting in too many hours a day, as tempting as it is. after going too hard for the first 3 days i started having 2 shorter sessions each day and alternated between steep slow tech trails and fast flow jump tracks to keep the arm pump under control. you'll have an awesome time, it's impossible not too with heaps of really good stuff opening up by the day in garbo. original sin/goats gully/black velvet/fatcrobat/too tight is my all time favorite garbo combo.
Good advice, thanks dude. I've only got 18 days, so it's tempting to cram as much in as possible, but I think i'll pace myself in the hope I can ride every day and not break myself.

Sorry to hear about your wrist dude, luckily it came late in the trip.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
A-Line needs to be ridden over and over to try and get an un-interrupted run haha. You would think the big yellow signs saying "WARNING! High speed jump trail" would keep the punters off but I still get stuck behind people on hire bikes struggling to stay upright every day. I'm not saying I'm a Gwin by any means but if you stuggle with the first little double at the top of the trail you should really stay off the trail.

/Rant, still loving Whistler 2012 :love:

I believe you just yell Strava at the top of your lungs and they move out of your way. Either that or just land a less than ideal line to really keep them guessing.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
least of my problems at the moment, binned it massively going over the bars off a drop last night and took a little trip to the medical centre. possible broken scaphoid, reckon i would have broken ribs for sure if i hadnt been wearing armour. oh well, i've had 10 solid days of awesome riding and heading home soon anyway :)

That sux mate, I ended up with a massive club foot towards the end of the season by completely overshooting the landing of a double in the bone yard. Ended up needing to buy snowboard boots a size too big just to fit that painful monster in. There is plenty of good hiking if your up to it or hot wing eating, craft beer drinking and tail chasing. If you manage to get out of whistler the accent works a treat.

rustysteel

Likes Bikes
Aaargh that sux mate, hope you're doing ok -maybe you could gaffa tape a bit of wood from your shoulder to the bars (bypassing your wrist) to keep you going haha?! Glad to see the armour saved you too........ that just re-opens the 'to wear armour/ to not wear armour' debate again, causing me serious confusion!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Aaargh that sux mate, hope you're doing ok -maybe you could gaffa tape a bit of wood from your shoulder to the bars (bypassing your wrist) to keep you going haha?! Glad to see the armour saved you too........ that just re-opens the 'to wear armour/ to not wear armour' debate again, causing me serious confusion!
i was actually seriously tempted to ask the hospital to mold the cast into a kind of handlebar grip... shitty thing about this injury is that is that it mostly doesn't show on the first xray, but if you decide that it's just a sprain and push through the pain and is a break it will double the healing process... with 4 more days here it's so tempting to be stupid...

i wasn't wearing armour every day here - just when i knew i would be attempting new and super-gnar stuff. but judging by how beat up i got while wearing it i reckon i would have been a bloody mess if i hadn't. it was pretty much the worst way to land a fall and i'm positive the neck brace saved my neck while the armour saved my ribs and a lot of skin. textbook 'scorpion'. my top is covered in holes and i took out a meaty chunk of flesh off my hip. all part of the fun - i'm just glad i had travel insurance as a trip to the local is super-pricey...

chamboy

Likes Bikes
Sorry to hear that Rob. At least it happened towards the end of your trip & you got a load of riding in.
There's always next year to look forward to.

I'm definitely hitting Whistler again in 2014.

J.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Sorry to hear that Rob. At least it happened towards the end of your trip & you got a load of riding in.
There's always next year to look forward to.

I'm definitely hitting Whistler again in 2014.

J.
yes i'll definitely be back every year i think. 10 days is about as much riding as i think you would want to do in one hit anyway, i was getting to the point where i could hardly hang onto the bars anymore and needed a few days off. still killing me that there's a possibility that i've only sprained my wrist and if this is the case i could get in a couple more days riding without risking making anything worse... if it wasn't so freakin expensive i would get an mri to clarify where i'm at...

took the gondola/chair up to the top of the mountain today - wow that's quite some view! and you can use a bike park pass to get up there.

dunndog

Eats Squid
yes i'll definitely be back every year i think. 10 days is about as much riding as i think you would want to do in one hit anyway, i was getting to the point where i could hardly hang onto the bars anymore and needed a few days off. still killing me that there's a possibility that i've only sprained my wrist and if this is the case i could get in a couple more days riding without risking making anything worse... if it wasn't so freakin expensive i would get an mri to clarify where i'm at...

took the gondola/chair up to the top of the mountain today - wow that's quite some view! and you can use a bike park pass to get up there.
Bummer mate! Hopefully it's not too bad of an injury, and as has been said atleast it was in the later stages of your trip.. I hear you on the 10 days bit, 7.5 days smashing out runs in NZ was very hard work by the end! On another note, how's the demo treating you?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
i have only good things to say about the demo. i upgraded to XO + codes + RC4 + Ti spring + WCs (was debating whether to go 40s or Boxxers and like the amount of tuning options on WCs and think they suit lighter riders). geo on demo is perfect and cornering is unreal! as a sub-17 bike i can't imagine wanting to ride anything else. especially good in the steep rooty, rocky tech stuff that is in abundance here.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To all the people out there who have been on, or are going on a MTB specific holiday, who did you use for insurance?

I have found heaps of policies which cover mountain biking but have very vague exclusions like "not racing or extreme ground conditions or stunts".

I'm not racing, but i'm pretty sure most of Whistler would fall under the "extreme ground conditions or stunts" category.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
We just had the Flight centre linked travel insurance last year and this year I think and they covered you for everything but racing so we just had a little agreement for racing that we would drag each others lifeless bodies off the track onto a non race track on the Phat Weds

buffy

Likes Dirt
here are a few videos of my trip to squamish the other day for you guys to see what its like.

cake walk is a most difficult trail from higher up on the hill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX5EBB6RET4&feature=plcp

blow out your candles was really fucked, some parts were impossible to ride, hardest trail ive ever gone down but it leads to angry midget which is super fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2evIJH1NUg&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCUWf6cIR4&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ZacYqY3lk&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntuxuHMrjPI&feature=plcp

Nautonier

Eats Squid
i used covermore as well, which is what flight centre use. really easy to sign up directly with their website and they are the only company i found who definitely cover mountain biking unless, as stated, you are racing.

i have initiated a claim with them to recoup over a grands worth of medical expenses, so the real test will be to see if they come through for me.