Whistler 2012

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Whistler calls.....

I'll be going over for 3 weeks in Sept.

The plan is to do Whistler, squamish and some northsore on the way home...

Might see some of you seeing as there will only be 1 or 2 aussies over there... :)

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i used covermore as well, which is what flight centre use. really easy to sign up directly with their website and they are the only company i found who definitely cover mountain biking unless, as stated, you are racing.

i have initiated a claim with them to recoup over a grands worth of medical expenses, so the real test will be to see if they come through for me.
I tried these guys, all of which cover you as long as you're not racing;

- Covermore, but they would only pay up to $1000 for any one item if it was stolen, this includes my bike!
- NIB wouldn't cover my bike at all.
- RACV Also wouldn't cover my bike.

But then I realised my bike is covered away from home with my contents insurance, along with my laptop and DSLR... And they'll pay the full agreed value as listed on my policy if they're lost or stolen anywhere in the world. WIN!

Now to find the cheapest one for the rest of the coverage.

s.dogg

Likes Dirt
I've been using itrek travel insurance, great prices for long term stays.
Not sure how pricing is for short term.
Girlfriend has claimed torn ligament from biking and broken wrist snowboarding, including follow up physio.
All we had to do was send the online claim form and had the money back within a week or so.
Did not even need to ring them.

Itrek also says not for racing, but there are companies over here that cover non canadians for medical and at $20 a day i just get that when doing crankworx. Usually use the same agreement with mates that doggy uses for phat wednesdays haha.

PS. Hero dirt in the park today was amazing! Off for some pemby shuttles tomorrow.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I tried these guys, all of which cover you as long as you're not racing;

- Covermore, but they would only pay up to $1000 for any one item if it was stolen, this includes my bike!
- NIB wouldn't cover my bike at all.
- RACV Also wouldn't cover my bike.

But then I realised my bike is covered away from home with my contents insurance, along with my laptop and DSLR... And they'll pay the full agreed value as listed on my policy if they're lost or stolen anywhere in the world. WIN!

Now to find the cheapest one for the rest of the coverage.
covermore will cover your bike for whatever you specify as its value. costs slightly more, but well worth it for me.

Loudvq

Likes Dirt
I fly in on the 26th and heading too whistler I've got a car for three days do I'm keen too have a look/ ride around if anyone is keen

buffy

Likes Dirt
someone recommended doing the atv tour itt. i did the wild wild west tour today and it was shit. supposed to be their most advanced and challenging and i was stuck with an old couple who had no right to be on that tour and a young couple with the dude being the only other competent rider and the chick being a chick.

so im at the back of this group going insanely slow, barely touching the throttle the entire way, idleing over all the cat track wide open trails.

did some single track at the end of the day and i forced myself to wait at least a minute for them to go ahead and then id catch them up in seconds.

not worth $180 unless maybe you have a group of guys you know and tell them specifically we want to go hard.

note, ive done snowmobiling tours in whistler and japan which were absolutely sick and way above my ability level. also did an atv tour in thailand which was harder than today.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
someone recommended doing the atv tour itt. i did the wild wild west tour today and it was shit. supposed to be their most advanced and challenging and i was stuck with an old couple who had no right to be on that tour and a young couple with the dude being the only other competent rider and the chick being a chick.

so im at the back of this group going insanely slow, barely touching the throttle the entire way, idleing over all the cat track wide open trails.

did some single track at the end of the day and i forced myself to wait at least a minute for them to go ahead and then id catch them up in seconds.

not worth $180 unless maybe you have a group of guys you know and tell them specifically we want to go hard.

note, ive done snowmobiling tours in whistler and japan which were absolutely sick and way above my ability level. also did an atv tour in thailand which was harder than today.
well thats annoying...I was gonna do the wild west one this year after the other boys did it last year and had a good time. I guess like you said it depends on who you get in your group

Hobzai

Likes Bikes
We're going to sunpeaks today. Ill let you know what its like!
Very interested to hear how this went, we're planning a Sun Peaks visit this time round.

I've heard steep and tech, bit shaley. Not so jumpy/bermy as Silver Star.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very interested to hear how this went, we're planning a Sun Peaks visit this time round.

I've heard steep and tech, bit shaley. Not so jumpy/bermy as Silver Star.
Yeah you heard right. Freakin steep. Take tyres and brake pads.

We did two days there, and one in Kamloops.

Sunpeaks is dusty, techy and steep, with a few flow runs.

We rode Rio at Kamloops, and the ranch. Good for big air times..

Although the jumps under the lift at sunpeaks are a good old size too.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I arrive Sunday night and I realise in my organising of the trip I've missed one key thing. Canadians aren't the world's greatest baristas (been to Toronto many times and been forced to consume pretty poor coffee). Has anyone found good coffee in the village?

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Coffee is one thing Whistler lacks in the quality dept. the best I found was at Moguls cafe. Everywhere else is not worth the $.
I ended up passing up the coffee and living off energy drinks. 7/11 has the best variety there.
Rockstar Peach Iced Tea. Holy crap its good!

dunndog

Eats Squid
Although I'm 5 million miles away from Whistler and won't be getting any closer any time soon, i just thought i'd chime in on the coffee thing.. coffee is noticeably worse in sydney, let alone Canada! Melbourne has some of the best coffee in the world, you won't go to a lot of other places and get so much good coffee so easily. So there. I hope your shit holidays to Whistler are shit. I'll be right here on my keyboard, drinking my latte.:ranger:

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll send you a photo of my shit Canadian coffee, and then later in the day i'll send you photos of my bike beside the trail sign for Dirt Merchant, then a photo of some sweet Canadian beer... And i'm sure you'll also get a photo of an x-ray, or protruding bone or something. :bounce: