Whistler 2012

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not sure if it has been covered in this thread but i'm heading over to whistler next july..and was looking at getting a new ride..my question is should i buy a rig before i head over or get one there..is it much cheaper to buy a bike in canada?..obviously i would save on freight one way but i would also be on a bike i'm not used to, on trails i've never ridden..so yeah anyone who's been over there and can offer some wisdom it would be appreciated.
I looked at buying a new Intense 951 or M9... The difference in price between there and here was pretty substantial on those, but when I looked at a Specialized Demo there wasn't a massive difference. As mentioned in the previous post, I wouldn't buy a second hand bike from the BC area, as it would have been given a pretty solid workout... Maybe not thrashed, but certainly well used.

20 days til I head over WOOOOOO!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Does anyone know how/where I can get help for post-Whistler depression? After finding out that my wrist is not broken after all *tries not to think of those last 4 days in Whistler not riding* I put my bike together and took it out for a spin on some local trails. Not only did I have to PEDAL, but the jumps had these horrible (and dangerous) GAPS in them and there were SHARP ROCKS all over the trail.

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know how/where I can get help for post-Whistler depression? After finding out that my wrist is not broken after all *tries not to think of those last 4 days in Whistler not riding* I put my bike together and took it out for a spin on some local trails. Not only did I have to PEDAL, but the jumps had these horrible (and dangerous) GAPS in them and there were SHARP ROCKS all over the trail.
Time heals all wounds.........

Except that one!!!

Save your money and go again.......

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Rob

Wrists seem to be the thing in Whistler don't they. I did mine on the second last day (just sprained but pretty swollen and enough to keep me off the bike). In Australia we're not real good at building tabletops, that's for sure. Have you been riding Youies on your own again?

Hobzai

Likes Bikes
Further to the issue of the cost of travelling with bikes, Air Canada are now paying attention to baggage receipts and extracting a AUD$70 charge for the second checked bag at SYD. In years gone by we've managed to get away with not paying extra for the bike bags due to my Qantas Club allowance, checking in at PER, and Air Canada letting the extra weight slide at SYD under the "Two Pieces" rule. No longer.

In line with Air Canada's ongoing financial position (ie not that great), they're obviously recovering costs wherever they can.

14 hours to YVR.... yay...

Hobzai

Likes Bikes
Aha, "Come to Whistler, just the once. Go on... all the cool kids are doing it. What's the harm in trying it?"

Probably the right thing to do in not riding those last four days, though!

orphic

Likes Bikes
If you find out let me know. For a few seconds each morning I wake up in a state of bliss, until I realise that I am NOT in Canada anymore and the day of sulking begins...

A bit over a week being back now. Attempted a DH race on Sunday, where I slammed myself into a tree and couldn't make most of the jumps because the run ins were UP HILL. Cry :(

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Hey Rob

Wrists seem to be the thing in Whistler don't they. I did mine on the second last day (just sprained but pretty swollen and enough to keep me off the bike). In Australia we're not real good at building tabletops, that's for sure. Have you been riding Youies on your own again?
Oh man, that sucks but at least you got all that quality riding in beforehand. Where did you do it? My problem was that after 10 days my confidence was riding a little too high and I got careless.

Not the Youis, had a shuttle day at Mt Taylor. Dirt must be more expensive in Australia or something...

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Attempted a DH race on Sunday, where I slammed myself into a tree and couldn't make most of the jumps because the run ins were UP HILL. Cry :(

I know, you get really used to slowing down for jumps in Whister, so it seems totally unnatural to have to pedal or speed up to make the distance. I'm completely crap at judging my speed in a pedalling frenzy, but brake-checking is much easier.

chamboy

Likes Bikes
Post Whistler blues..

Hey Rob

It sucks doesn't it..

Heaven is a place called Whistler bike park!!

Nothing comes even close over here I'm afraid.
Buller will be open soon, which at least has a chair lift, if only for a month, & the trails aren't perfect in every way.

Maybe a trip to Queenstown in the next few months will ease the pain before the next whistler adventure.

Other than that I'm afraid you're left with just dreaming of Whistler every night.

I've even started riding a bit of XC, because pushing up hill sucks more than anything.

srsbsns

Likes Bikes
Glad I'm not the only one struggling with this, got back to Perth and rode my local trail. Saddest moment of my life

Demo Eight

Likes Bikes
Yep, same here. I had to pedal keep momentum *sigh*. I'm already planing to go back next year, just need to organise the crew and do a mass road trip around BC

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh man, that sucks but at least you got all that quality riding in beforehand. Where did you do it? My problem was that after 10 days my confidence was riding a little too high and I got careless.

Not the Youis, had a shuttle day at Mt Taylor. Dirt must be more expensive in Australia or something...
The first step up on Dirt merchant. Just had a brain fart and washed out on the landing. Such an amazing place though. Can't believe the quality of the trails, the workmanship and the way they're built to encourage riders to learn and push their limits safely (mostly).

Demo Eight

Likes Bikes
The first step up on Dirt merchant. Just had a brain fart and washed out on the landing. Such an amazing place though. Can't believe the quality of the trails, the workmanship and the way they're built to encourage riders to learn and push their limits safely (mostly).
And they do it with only 15 peeps, mainly by hand.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And they do it with only 15 peeps, mainly by hand.
We saw them doing a mix of work while we were there. But it was certainly impressive watching them make a line on Smoke and Mirrors right under the chair lift - all done by hand over about 4 days. And beautifully built.

hargs

Likes Bikes
So I am thinking of making the late call and trying to get over in September. Have any of you guys got some on the ground experience with what the weather is like at that time? Google is throwing up some varied results.

chamboy

Likes Bikes
Sept riding..

So I am thinking of making the late call and trying to get over in September. Have any of you guys got some on the ground experience with what the weather is like at that time? Google is throwing up some varied results.
Hey Hargs

I've been in September a few years back and the weather was fantastic. A bit cooler than usual & is definitely prone to rain, so I guess it can be touch and go on the weather front.
The thing with Whistler is that it doesn't really matter if it rains because you're riding Whistler bike park right.

I'd say definitely go, it's awesome rain or shine!