Whistler 2012

buffy

Likes Dirt
watched speed and style this afternoon, pretty sick.

also i am just throwing this out there. me and my mates are doing a helidrop on rainbow mountain for august 25. we might have 2-3 spots available. it will be $125+tax. pm if interested.

Loudvq

Likes Dirt
i looked at this and its cheaper to do top of the world and then one of the lesser known tracks off the side, we descended for 3 hrs straight down i couldnt remember how many meters but it was near 1800 and then ended up at a pub. kinda hard too beat.
mind you ive spent alot of time in helicopters and to fly a bike up in one then ride down is damn cool!!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guys I'm reading this thread with envy...I was at Whilstler snowboarding last season, I'm now thinking I was there at the wrong time as the riding there looks awesome! (That being said the snow was pretty awesome! :))

As far as a short trip is concerned how long do you recommend going to have enough time to learn some of the tracks, get dialled in etc...If I can spare the time I'd like to try get over there next year!

buffy

Likes Dirt
i looked at this and its cheaper to do top of the world and then one of the lesser known tracks off the side, we descended for 3 hrs straight down i couldnt remember how many meters but it was near 1800 and then ended up at a pub. kinda hard too beat.
mind you ive spent alot of time in helicopters and to fly a bike up in one then ride down is damn cool!!
of course its cheaper, you dont ride in a helicopter.

i did top of the world into ride dont slide. yes its fucking awesome but so will helibiking.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As far as a short trip is concerned how long do you recommend going to have enough time to learn some of the tracks, get dialled in etc...If I can spare the time I'd like to try get over there next year!
I had six days of riding. To travel that distance I'd say that's about the minimum. There were still plenty of tracks i didn't ride and some that I only rode once or twice, even though I loved them. The other thing I'd say is that, if you're going for a short time, fitness is so important. I found it difficult as I wanted to ride constantly, being aware of what little time I had, but there were days where fitness made it a struggle.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, that's not good... I'm so ridiculously unfit! I'm hoping to build it back up over the three weeks i'm there for. Start with a few runs each day on the easy trails, stepping up to tougher/more runs each day.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, that's not good... I'm so ridiculously unfit! I'm hoping to build it back up over the three weeks i'm there for. Start with a few runs each day on the easy trails, stepping up to tougher/more runs each day.
I actually found the fitness was more an issue on the flowy tracks. The technical tracks you're off the brakes as you're really just trying to carry speed. For me it was tracks like A Line and Black Velvet (freaking amazing track!) than had me gasping for air and my hands struggling to hold on. Bearing in mind also that the tracks up the top of the hill, you do start to feel the affects of the altitude.

neo_vitamin

Likes Dirt
Bearing in mind also that the tracks up the top of the hill, you do start to feel the affects of the altitude.
Dude are you serious??? Sub 2000m.... TOTW is only 2200m or something.... never ridden that trail, but boarding from there is fine.

Maybe I missed the sarcasm :/

buffy

Likes Dirt
man where are the crankworx comments??? fucking having a sickkkkkkkkkkk time watching the events!

world whip offs i was right on the kicker getting my mind blown

air dh yesterday i was coping faceshots on the last jump from tons of riders

felt like some of the pros held back a bit today with the best trick. joyride will be sweeeeeet!

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I actually found the fitness was more an issue on the flowy tracks. The technical tracks you're off the brakes as you're really just trying to carry speed. For me it was tracks like A Line and Black Velvet (freaking amazing track!) than had me gasping for air and my hands struggling to hold on. Bearing in mind also that the tracks up the top of the hill, you do start to feel the affects of the altitude.
Yeah, I'm so keen to hit Black Velvet, it looks amazing. Will be smashing a few runs on the flow trails to get my arms conditioned.

rb baby

Likes Dirt
Awesome thread I'm soo doing this next season !

Bike wise what's the best all rounder for the DH and freeride trails?
I was thinking along the lines of a Transition TR250 with single crowns but before I start a build plan and spend even more on this awesome addiction I want to ask the riders who are there or been there done that, so what's everyone riding?

orphic

Likes Bikes
Build into it and you should be sweet. I was there for three weeks and had been off the DH bike for a few months with shoulder injury, but had a bit of leg fitness from doing some XC. My shoulder was super weak and I didn't get arm issues at all really, only a bit tired when I would start with Garbo runs and be riding for hours before I realised I should eat lunch or something.

But yeah, take days off. Schedule them in, make your self do it. I rode 19 of the 20 days I was there and paid for it by not being able to ride shit on the last day because I was so smashed... But it was the best three weeks of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way!! I think the XC fitness helped a bit with being able to get more runs in before getting burned out.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome thread I'm soo doing this next season !

Bike wise what's the best all rounder for the DH and freeride trails?
I was thinking along the lines of a Transition TR250 with single crowns but before I start a build plan and spend even more on this awesome addiction I want to ask the riders who are there or been there done that, so what's everyone riding?
better off with a full Dh rig unless you can barspin and tailwhip, and want to spend the whole time attempting to on dirt merch and ALine.

I ride a '11 demo with a full race set up. and its perfect for everything here. The blue and single black runs resemble our dh trails more than the doubles over here.
Plus, a bigger bike helps to save your hands and arms.