Whistler package day

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
If you're any good on a bike, I'd skip the coaching and just research the good trails to ride and hit them up. The coaching won't be valuable if you've got half a clue of what to do.
I'd leave Vancouver waaaaaaaaaaaay early, in the dark. The park doesn't open until 10am but being there early, getting your rental sorted and being in the line for first chair would be the go.
I assume you haven't ridden Whistler? The hill is huge, it has three chairlifts to get you to the top. This splits the park into three zones (well four if you count Creekside as well) which are Fitzsimmons (lower third, most of the trails), Garbanzo (middle, some steeper harder trails) and top of the world (wide open mostly, rocky). Its an amazing experience going from the very top but it is a big run, you'll stop a few times and take it all in.
I'd love to give advice on what trails to ride but you'll find that out for yourself. The first thing I'd do is Crank it up, its a blue trail with some cool table tops and berms in the Fitzsimmons zone. In the Garbanzo zone, hit up Blue Velvert and watch out for bears. ;)
Grading wise, blue trails are fun and not consequential. Black diamond is harder but may be mostly a blue trail with a couple of black features. Double black diamond is pretty hectic and not great for a one day hit out and red proline? Forget it, those trails are the pinnacle of gravity ability. The grading system in Canada is very similar to Australia is is pretty obvious where as the grading system in New Zealand I've found is different in that it makes the trails seem easier but it isn't. In New Zealand, a blue trail is a black diamond everywhere else and a black diamond in New Zealand is a hard trail. Double black is the business; World Cup rider sort of skill level.
The village is a nice place, be sure to spend an hour wandering around to catch your breath and have some lunch.
I found the vibe to be super chilled in Whistler and although I never had anyone catch me on the trails, I did catch and pass heaps of people and everyone said hi or thanks with no bother.
Enjoy it and regret the drive back to Vancouver. As good as that drive is, it means you're heading away from the mountain bike capital of the world. ;)

As a side note, if you're into trail riding and don't mind climbing, you could skip Whistler and rent a bike and a guide with transport in Squamish. Those trails are deadset all time and you are riding some of the best natural terrain.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
The first thing I'd do is Crank it up
.. and maybe second thing as well, if you're me. Then another punt down it for last run of the day .. Yeah, I miss Crank It Up. New creekside trails look fun too.

So, What Dozer Said. If you don't want to drive, see if a service like Ridebooker can get you up there early enough / pick you up at lift close (8PM) or later.

It's fairly quick and easy to get a lift ticket at the office under GLC and pop next door to hire a bike but probably better hire bikes not far away, perhaps Bike and Bean, Summit Sports, or maybe down the village a bit at Fanatik or the like. Do book a rental ahead of time cause you'll probably want them to swap the brakes over to front/right & rear/left before you arrive.

Dunno how picky you are about your gear, but consider BYO helmet, pads, even pedals of your own. I think some places it's BYO / buy gloves. (I didn't rent anything so am not 100%..)

Trailforks is good for trail research. Youtube vids, perhaps.

Any other recommendations?
Yeah, spend more than a day there. Consider telling your boss and family you're staying until Crankworx is over. :D

Hire an Enduro bike and do trail rides too: A couple of hours around Lost Lake and the Zappa trails .. get you warmed up for Comfortably Numb. Head over Westside / check out Cut Yer Bars, A River Runs Thru It, Danimal, and the million dollar - literally - Lord of the Squirrels trail, if you're up for a day out with a solid climb.

OK, so I'm probably not helping you with your stated aims, but you'll have flown to the other side of the planet and to some of the best trails - probably the best bike park - in the world ..

More seriously, if you are looking to get a local SIM for your phone and you fly via USA (IE LAX) then consider buying and activating an AT&T (or perhaps other US carrier) SIM while you're in the US - it roams to Canada and the data deals are better than the Canadian carriers offer.

Sky's the limit for food budget in Whistler, but La Cantina (mex) and Splitz Grill (burgers) are favourite cheap eats.

PJO

in me vL comy
Thanks @Dozer and @RichJS for some great recommendations. Haven't ridden Whistler, and sadly only have one day to do it, have to present on Monday then flying to Minnesota on the Wednesday so no options but Tuesday ride day.

I'm ok on a bike so if the coaching is basic I will give it a miss, mostly just wanted someone to ride with and follow down the trails. Only gravity park I've ridden is Maydena on my old 2009 Giant Trance, haven't touched anything with longer travel than that. Plus I'm not massively confident in the air, although I have been working at that over the last year or so, slowly getting better.

I did consider going to Squamish but I don't think I can miss out on Whistler.

Time to start researching the trails and booking a bike.

Any recommendations for car hire for the day?

aboutfivebucks

Likes Bikes
Do you really want to go to Whistler and not ride A-Line??

Don't overcook it. Rent yourself a DH bike with plenty of travel. Make sure you have full face and plenty of armour. Book the day before to ensure you have brake levers switched over to 'aussie style'. Start the day cruising the blues ie Blue Velvet - Crank it up. Repeat, repeat, repeat, if your still grinning from ear to ear, tick off A Line and a couple of iconic Whistler trails. As mentioned above, one day isn't enough, but you sound like you may need to be in one piece the following day. (Not always achievable in Whistler).
Enjoy