Who’s doing Mackayos?

ttnguyen133

Likes Bikes
It'll be my first time this year too. Bit concerned about getting some snow chains though. Will be driving to Bright Friday night, so all the stores will be closed by then. Gotta be on the mountain at 7am and stores don't start opening till 7am... How are you guys dealing with this?

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I’ve a Magic Mary up front and a minion ss rear though will replace the minion with the only other tyre I have, a Hans Dampf... I probably should have prepared earlier and bought new tyres:(

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
It'll be my first time this year too. Bit concerned about getting some snow chains though. Will be driving to Bright Friday night, so all the stores will be closed by then. Gotta be on the mountain at 7am and stores don't start opening till 7am... How are you guys dealing with this?
You can always get some in Melbourne. Roof carrier systems in camberwell rent them (I believe)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I’ve a Magic Mary up front and a minion ss rear though will replace the minion with the only other tyre I have, a Hans Dampf... I probably should have prepared earlier and bought new tyres:(
I used dhr&dhf in '17, no issues. For the 10% of the race above the snowline I wouldn't base tyre choice on the snow conditions. There's a big mix of surface, snow, ice, mud, asphalt, brick paved stairs, hard pack, water, rocks, concrete carry up stairs (in the last km or so, when your legs are flogged) and grass. 2017 was like an ice rink, after the blizzard postponement and overnight freeze. Ski trails were groomed, so fairly easy going.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Please ride over my spreadeagled body and not my bike....
My "strategy" of hanging towards the back of the starting pack, seemed to work well, rode over at least two spread-eagled bodies attached to bikes. Spot lines, well ahead and commit, as steering is fine if you're only making obtuse adjustments, sudden direction changes are unlikely to execute and tend to end in a jumble of limbs and tubing. And if by some miracle there is a freeze, the snow is as fucking hard as concrete.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I hope there's no issues with the road up... My partner has terrible tyres on her car.

They spin trying to take off in the rain!
I don't want to know what they're going to do when they encounter snow or ice.

Switch

huskier headed gent
Rays ski shop in Myrtleford will be open until 8 pm on Friday night, if arriving after hours you can give them a call with your tyre size and they can leave them at the back gate for you to collect. Downside of that is that they can't do a test fit to make sure they fit your vehicle correctly.

Looking pretty warm for the weekend with lows of 7 so can't see it having a freeze before the race. Warm wind the next couple of days too which will further impact the snowpack (more so than rain) which may mean a very limited amount of snow for the start of the race.

moorey

call me Mia
I used dhr&dhf in '17, no issues. For the 10% of the race above the snowline I wouldn't base tyre choice on the snow conditions. There's a big mix of surface, snow, ice, mud, asphalt, brick paved stairs, hard pack, water, rocks, concrete carry up stairs (in the last km or so, when your legs are flogged) and grass. 2017 was like an ice rink, after the blizzard postponement and overnight freeze. Ski trails were groomed, so fairly easy going.
I’m rethinking my tyre choice after taking all this time to seal up the wetscream. Damn you. :(

ttnguyen133

Likes Bikes
Rays ski shop in Myrtleford will be open until 8 pm on Friday night, if arriving after hours you can give them a call with your tyre size and they can leave them at the back gate for you to collect. Downside of that is that they can't do a test fit to make sure they fit your vehicle correctly.

Looking pretty warm for the weekend with lows of 7 so can't see it having a freeze before the race. Warm wind the next couple of days too which will further impact the snowpack (more so than rain) which may mean a very limited amount of snow for the start of the race.

Thanks for the tip! Gave them a call and looks like this is what I'll be doing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Are there big climbs on the way down (not including unplanned excursions off the trail)?
Nah, couple of fire road climbs, water bars really, but have you met my legs? They're flogged climbing out of bed.

The first half is pretty much down pointing, one slightly sustained climb, and a few ups n downs.

Biggest elevation gain is probably the stairs to the top of the dam.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I’m up at falls as I type, watching the rain fall and getting ready for tomorrow. They’ve binned the creek crossing and it seems that means the dam wall ride is also out... anyone else know more?