Who is NSWMTB?

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
thecat said:
The problem most clubs face is getting in touch with the right person. I'm pretty sure we had fired off a emails for previous stuff without results which was why I was over the moon when you rang and offered such great support.

It's great to have some one in the industry that not only wants to help support the races but also gets out there and help promote themselves.
Not wrong there, so it is really refreshing to see someone in the industry wanting to help at this level, hopefully sutek and Norco will come back again and gain more from the race next season.

I think this issue does highlight the need for NSWMTB to formulate a standard for races (be it DH,XC,4X). Standards for prizes, timing, shuttles/access, track standard, first aid etc. Get it all sorted before next season and maybe more industry support will come on board.

Generally I think things have really been on the rise this year and the numbers reflect it, but the oportunity exists to set the standard of the series higher next year.

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Nswmtb

Seeing NSWMTB will one day be dissolved, I have been trying not to set up rules that will create a problem when we finally get properly back into CA.

On saying that DH has proved to be a problem, so after Squid and I have had a few discussions, how about this one? We have next years DH series as 4 rounds and championships the clubs from the regions bid as per the nationals with a certain criteria having to be met by the successful bid.
Professional timing (which we already have) prizes minimum Elite, 3 x entry, Others cash or product. Minimum for classes with riders < 5 entry back for first (which we do not have), Transport must function in all weather.

No day licenses to all state races, and I will say day licenses are supposed to let riders try out the sport, ride one of the many club races on day licenses then get a license and try state.

Another one to think about, Regionals, a club from the region holds a race it can be used to qualify for state races. Say Hunter gets it new track built but wants to see how it will go before they hold a state race, then in 2007 Hunter hold the regional before say Central Coast holds the state race. Or as another example Nundle wants to hold a race, a regional is at Nundle to test it before Coffs or Kempsey hold the state race. Regionals would have day licenses. Thoughts?

On the XC front, what would we standardize; I still have not found a formula that XC likes. 45 riders to Thredbo, riders do not like altitude or is it travel? 80 odd to Hunter not bad, but still disappointing and it’s a great track and cash money! Wollongong, good effort 95 riders the biggest of the season but still under 100. SORC, do not hold races on Saturday (Sorry Donna, in future please get married on Saturday or get married at the race) I have let XC do what they want after Neil Barlow set the calendar at the first state meeting, this season has unfortunately kept the downward trend. Suggestions on how we fix this?

4X or Mountain X, Matt argued everything should be standardized in this new version of BMX for big bikes. Matt said he would be state MTNX person and then? Thredbo gave out hats, had problems with the gate, had problems with the program, but had a very good track. SOPMMX had problems with the program. Green Grocers had no problems may be inconsistency in gate starting and not enough slope on gate. Ebenezer is not yet finished. We are desperately trying to build tracks right now we have 4 in the state Green Grocers, SOPMMX, Black Hill and Armidale, and Thredbo which will only be partially demolished each winter in the future, only enough to run a series. I am reluctant to impose many rules on a very new sport and one of the things the BMX enjoy is little bitching and easy going races. Rules interpretation is left to the organizers.

Last edited:

sammydog

So you want clubs to host club rounds, regional rounds and state rounds. Please tell me where this fits into the already conjested calander??? I can't see it fitting in anywhere without significant clashes.

Our XC figures have the numbers at higher than 80 odd for our state round, not bad considering we picked up the race 3 weeks out due to another club not coming through with its round (that talking to them they didn' know they had in the first place).

Thredbo XC, try the fact the track is terrible for XC and the prizes worse. Long way to travel for not much.

My thoughts on the XC this year, poorly organised with confusion reigning over whether events were actually on or not and where they would be.

Standards for DH with a certain criterea is spot on. But this criterea has to be released to the clubs so we know what we are bidding on. No point picking the races and telling people the rules later. It needs tio be done up front. Criterea like this must also be put in place for XC and 4X if the series are to be viable with numbers tunring up.

I think the problems of no standardised rules is why thredbo turned out to be thredbo yet again. Thats why numbers have been down at the XC events.

Promotion of the series is another factor that needs to be looked at, but I will end my rant there.

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
Hey Steve, i read with interest all that is being said.....basically the common goal seems to be that what is wanted is what we had previously when myself and the crew were under the ca banner, with our series....so much of the talk, wishes for future etc sound like a reinvention of our series...not a bad concept, as using hindsight, with new knowlege and experience could create a much more proffessional series for all forms of mtb codes and for sponsors alike...N

poindexter

Impartial Observer
wsmtbdhvp said:
4X or Mountain X, Matt argued everything should be standardized in this new version of BMX for big bikes. Matt said he would be state MTNX person and then? Thredbo gave out hats, had problems with the gate, had problems with the program, but had a very good track. SOPMMX had problems with the program. Green Grocers had no problems may be inconsistency in gate starting and not enough slope on gate. Ebenezer is not yet finished. We are desperately trying to build tracks right now we have 4 in the state Green Grocers, SOPMMX, Black Hill and Armidale, and Thredbo which will only be partially demolished each winter in the future, only enough to run a series. I am reluctant to impose many rules on a very new sport and one of the things the BMX enjoy is little bitching and easy going races. Rules interpretation is left to the organizers.

I do believe i never agreed to be the state rep. i was just appointed.

As for thredbo, my info is that it was the best run race to date so perhaps you should talk to the riders about what they think.

scblack

Leucocholic
FIGJAM said:
What's in the name?
I've been wondering what the "T" stands for in NSWMTB and MTBA.
Is it Mountain and Trails Bike or Mountain and Trials Bike or just MounTain Bike?

Some trivia about names; the controlling bodies of Motorcycling in Australia are the various Auto Cyle Unions. So you have ACUNSW, ACUSA etc. When the Northern Territory had enough riders to form their own group they went against the grain and called themselves the Northern Territory Auto Cycle Union.
Haha - remember when everyone wanted to be a SNAG? Or was a Yuppie?

I was a Caring Understanding Nineties Type.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Fatman said:
that waswhat is wanted is what we had previously when myself and the crew were under the ca banner,
Or what AMBA had before CA stuffed it all up....

Last edited:

Gravjunkie

Likes Dirt
What was the thread again???????????????

The start of this thread was, "What is NSWMTB?"
It seems to have degenerated into a bit of a shifting blame and arse covering exercise.
In my opinion NSWMTB is a bunch of people who give a shit about helping mountain biking staddle the gap between club races (officiated by clubs) and National races (officiated by MTBA, or Tony Scott).
Thank you to all those people and in particular Steve Humphries.
Volunteers are who keep this sport progressing.

sammydog

Gravjunkie said:
The start of this thread was, "What is NSWMTB?"
It seems to have degenerated into a bit of a shifting blame and arse covering exercise.
In my opinion NSWMTB is a bunch of people who give a shit about helping mountain biking staddle the gap between club races (officiated by clubs) and National races (officiated by MTBA, or Tony Scott).
Thank you to all those people and in particular Steve Humphries.
Volunteers are who keep this sport progressing.
You say this thread has degenerated into shifting blame and arse covering, yet a lot of people contributing to this thread also contribute to NSWMTB. Personally I don't see any blame shifting and arse covering.

The problem is a lot of issues should be kept within the private NSWMTB forum, not aired in the public.

NSWMTB was originally formed in part to help NSW get its hands on the development fund held by MTBA. This fund is a substantial amount of money, but unfotunately the only way to get at it was to form an incorporated state body. Sorry I lie, the other option was to have ALL in NSW clubs agree on how to spend the money, and given the number of clubs in NSW, this wouldn't be achievable in a 12 month period. So incorporation it is (the most logical and acheivable option anyway).

Hopefully it will also extend to controlling and setting standards to which the state events are run and operate.

dirtdemon

Likes Dirt
Why is NSWMTB being dissolved?

wsmtbdhvp said:
Seeing NSWMTB will one day be dissolved, I have been trying not to set up rules that will create a problem when we finally get properly back into CA.

On saying that DH has proved to be a problem........

...........On the XC front, Suggestions on how we fix this?

4X or Mountain X, Matt argued everything should be standardized in this new version of BMX for big bikes. Matt said he would be state MTNX person and then?...... .
Excuse my ignorance but why is NSWMTB being dissolved when you just got started and what has it got to do with CA. Why is DH proving to be a problem in regards to this?

What wrong with standardising everything, to me it seems like the best way for every discipline to move forward, stop confusion, and stop the opportunity for riders to go home with the shits because when they turn up to the events the rules have changed again.

The problem to me is lack of standardisation. Run every event with the classifications in the same order, the prises the same (or similar), use standard entry forms and have pre-entry for every event, have pre race riders briefing (similar to Green Grocers) so no one is confused about the rules that apply that day.

One rider at Stromlo this week was looking about to ask "someone" (because no one is really sure who to ask on the day) for a re-run because he crashed, until he was informed that he couldn't get a re-run just because he crashed. But, if he was new to racing, who could blame him because no one has told him any different.

Make the organisers life easy by giving the a standard set of instructions to follow in order to have a "great event".

What has ever happened to the "constitution" that was being written so NSWMTB could become an incorporation, as was originally stated. Will clubs or members be given the opportunity to comment on it?

Want to know how to fix something ask the riders at the event, have a meeting. Not everyone reads farkin, get your message out there, get MTBA involved, asked other state bodies.

This sport is improving and growing at a fast pace, and has potential for a great future, but as highlighted at the MTBA general meeting whilst member registration is on the increase we still are having trouble keeping members, why????

Everyone has an opinion and this is just mine!!!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
dirtdemon said:
and have pre-entry for every event,
Bahahaha.

Our record for pre-entrie was 20. 15 of them were locals who parents couldn't make it onthe weekend and needed to get the forms signed beforehand.

dirtdemon said:
have pre race riders briefing (similar to Green Grocers) so no one is confused about the rules that apply that day.
A prerace breifing is a great in theory but hard to do. With people regoing for DH all day Sat, and half Sunday, and everybody either up the track or standign in shuttle line it's hard to get everyone togther.

Also the membership book sent out with your MTBA membership card should explain most things.

dirtdemon

Likes Dirt
thecat said:
Bahahaha.

Our record for pre-entrie was 20. 15 of them were locals who parents couldn't make it onthe weekend and needed to get the forms signed beforehand.

A prerace breifing is a great in theory but hard to do. With people regoing for DH all day Sat, and half Sunday, and everybody either up the track or standign in shuttle line it's hard to get everyone togther.

Also the membership book sent out with your MTBA membership card should explain most things.
There were plenty of people at Coffs complaining that they had pre registered and still had to wait in line, maybe numbers aren't the same at all events, maybe they are! But at least that was 20 people that you had already organised.

In regards to the pre race meeting they held one a Western Australia for the nationals just before racing commenced, so it can be done.

And again, the post asked for comments and that was what I was doing, no need to stress about it. Take it or leave it the choice is yours not mine.

Dazed&Confuzed

Likes Dirt
There is a standard for clubs that want to run mountain bike events.

It is the "MTBA Guide to Event Organisation and Management".
If you go to the MTBA website and look at the bottom of the home page there is a link at the bottom of the page to "policies and documents"

Any club that wants to run an event should download it, read it all and them start filling in annex 9. If you can answer yes to all of the questions you are on your way to running an event.

Pre-entry
If there were enough volunteers that were prepared to help at rego maybe there could be a seperate line for pre-entries.

For riders that send in a pre-entry form, on race day they have to:
1. get on the rego line
2. have their license checked
3. have their name ticked off the start sheet
4. get their race number

Riders that do not fill in a pre-entry form, on race day have to:
1. fill in an entry form
2. get on the rego line
3. have their license checked
4. have their name ticked off the start sheet
5. get their race number

For those that pre-entered at Coffs and were complaining about having to get on the line with riders that did not pre-enter, were you surprised to see that there was only one person doing the regos all day. Maybe you could offer some help instead of complaining.

sammydog

FIGJAM said:
were you surprised to see that there was only one person doing the regos all day. Maybe you could offer some help instead of complaining.
Thats a novel idea, but even if all people did was help out at their local round, then there should be more than enough volunteers to help out.

The rego rush normally doesn't last all that long anyway.

this year has by far been the easiest rego of all the seasons that i've been in.(4/5) the pre rego of the state rounds has been great!

log on ,pay , roc up ,get plate and go ride! works for me.